Privacy considerations for ignorant powerboaters - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 67 Old 07-15-2015
Remember you're a womble

re: Privacy considerations for ignorant powerboaters

Sounds like someone needs to sneak onto Tardis with some blue paint and remove all the "is"
jerryrlitton and Minnesail like this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 07-15-2015

Thanks guys. That's my understanding as well. Back out into the bumper cars of Narragansett Bay.
Thing is the increasing attitude of some of the nouveau rich of entitlement and the ennui of of the judgement proof underclass. The solid citizens aware they share the world with others are increasingly affronted with these egocentric people.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #33 of 67 Old 07-15-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Thanks guys. That's my understanding as well. Back out into the bumper cars of Narragansett Bay.
Thing is the increasing attitude of some of the nouveau rich of entitlement and the ennui of of the judgement proof underclass. The solid citizens aware they share the world with others are increasingly affronted with these egocentric people.
It's not just the rich. I've had plenty of bubba bowriders with operators in cut off camo attempt to swamp my canoe or kayak almost certainly on purpose over the years.

post #34 of 67 Old 07-15-2015

Has anyone taken the New Jersey boater course recently?

I took it when the requirement first came in, but I don't remember them paying any attention to boat wakes at all during the class. Just a multiple choice question on the test that you should slow down in a no wake zone.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #35 of 67 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Has anyone taken the New Jersey boater course recently...I don't remember them paying any attention to boat wakes at all during the class...
I wouldn't expect them to cover this in the Joisey voision of the coise.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #36 of 67 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

OK, I'm feeling feisty tonight, so I sent this non-anonymous note to the guy on Facebook. I'm curious to see if I get a polite response, or the usual New Jersey "FU" salute:
Quote:
Bryan, I have a friendly suggestion for you. I think that you need to be more careful about your speed and distance with which you pass other boaters. You passed me on the Delaware River last Saturday morning (July 11) at 11:18. You were going 24 knots and were less than 60 feet away. Your 4-foot wake made a mess of my cabin and nearly swamped my 25 foot sailboat. I tried to hail you on the radio, but you did not respond.

I mentioned this incident to a friend who sails on the Sassafras River, and he said that you had done something similar to him on July 5. He even described your boat exactly - blue hull, "The Tardis."

I am not sure whether you are aware that all boaters are responsible for any damage that they cause to others - not just direct collisions, but also wake-induced injuries and damage. I would hate to see some rowboat get sunk, or even worse, a small child get thrown overboard. But these things have been known to happen when vessels pass too close and/or too high a speed.

Some friends have suggested that I report you to the authorities. I do NOT intend to do that because no permanent damage was caused to my boat, although it was a close call. Instead, I am just sending this friendly reminder. You seem like a stand-up guy, so I will assume that you just don't realize what sorts of problems you may be causing, and what sort of reputation you may be getting in the small, well connected world of pleasure boats.

Thanks for you attention to this.

Yours truly,

Rick Sonntag
Donna_F, JimMcGee, mstern and 2 others like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #37 of 67 Old 07-16-2015
Master Mariner

There was a period where I delivered six gold plate Sport fishermen north each spring, and south each fall. 4 days from Lauderdale to Norfolk.
I would try to be as courteous as possible, but the sail boats had to do their part for things to go well for both parties.
If a power boat in the ditch (well anywhere, actually) comes off a plane to pass a sail boat, then the sail boat must slow down to idle speed to allow the power boat to go by with a minimum wake. If the sail boat maintains his speed of say 5 knots, then the power boat must do at least 8 to get by in a reasonable amount of time. At that speed, he is definitely throwing a bigger wake.
It is a give and take situation and both parties need to under stand how to make it easy on the other.
JimMcGee likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #38 of 67 Old 07-16-2015

This seems like a lot of time and energy to expend just for getting waked by a powerboat. Whatever makes you happy, I guess.
post #39 of 67 Old 07-16-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
This seems like a lot of time and energy to expend just for getting waked by a powerboat. Whatever makes you happy, I guess.
I agree, except it will not make me happy.

I've been waked by dozens of sport fishers, especially on the Elk River and C&D Canal. It happens, no big deal. But never like this. 24 knots at 50 feet is crazy. (60 foot distance between our GPSs - subtract 50% of our beams, and it's only 50 feet) And he did the same thing to others a week earlier. If someone doesn't warn him, he may really hurt someone. That's why I wrote to him.
JimMcGee and gbgreen59 like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-16-2015 at 09:39 AM.
post #40 of 67 Old 07-16-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Coming around Sandy hook, a few years ago, trying to beat out on a light wind some idiot did something similar overtaking me. It shook all the wind out of my sails, threw stuff around, and of course, warranted the obligatory middle finger salute. I probably should have just motored out of there instead of sailing in Sandy Hook Channel so my decision to have sails up in the land of the discourteous was partly at fault. Sometimes you just have to figure that you are in hostile territory and plan accordingly:-)

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-16-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: not Ambrose but Sandy Hook Channel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in