SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/210577-possible-travel-own-ship-rule.html)

rishi851 07-15-2015 03:13 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
What do you make of this:

Why are so many Nordhavn's for sale?

capecodda 07-15-2015 06:03 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
Yea, we all hate the airports and flying now. The problem is:

Nothing goes to windward like a 747.

MarkofSeaLife 07-15-2015 10:30 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rishi851 (Post 2909561)
What do you make of this:

Why are so many Nordhavn's for sale?


"Deep down I think we all secretly harbor thoughts of casting off and traversing oceans. Leaving familiar surroundings bound for new continents or the emotion of returning to a home port after thousands of miles at sea. The reality is it's hard enough to string together a couple of weeks of spare time let alone a couple of years."

I think you should read and reread that passage one hundred times because floating between Mumbai and LA is truly nuts. Sorry to be so blunt.

Mark

rishi851 07-15-2015 11:16 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2909889)
"Deep down I think we all secretly harbor thoughts of casting off and traversing oceans. Leaving familiar surroundings bound for new continents or the emotion of returning to a home port after thousands of miles at sea. The reality is it's hard enough to string together a couple of weeks of spare time let alone a couple of years."

I think you should read and reread that passage one hundred times because floating between Mumbai and LA is truly nuts. Sorry to be so blunt.

Mark

No. You are correct, It would be an extremely foolish decision to even try once, let alone wish to routine it. Best option I have is a trip to SE Asia(Singapore,Thailand).

capttb 07-15-2015 11:19 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I'm docked in front of the international headquarters for "Pacific Asian Enterprises" so I get to see all the brand new Nordies come in from Asia and get fitted out for the new owners, 3 new ones just came in Monday. This one just left recently for parts unknown, notice the unique tender on deck with air tanks, they loaded that sub on board with the boat lift.
There might be some reality detachment happening there.

Donna_F 07-15-2015 11:23 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by capttb (Post 2909985)
I'm docked in front of the international headquarters for "Pacific Asian Enterprises" so I get to see all the brand new Nordies come in from Asia and get fitted out for the new owners, 3 new ones just came in Monday. This one just left recently for parts unknown, notice the unique tender on deck with air tanks, they loaded that sub on board with the boat lift.
There might be some reality detachment happening there.

If they had to get it on board with a lift, when they get out to sea, how will they get it off to use?

Or maybe that's what you meant by "reality detachment"?

grnrngr 07-15-2015 11:40 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
Then to answer your original question, Yes, If you own your own ship, you can go anywhere in the world you want at any time. There are of course other considerations, do you know how to run a ship? can you do it yourself or do you need a crew? We'll assume you already have your personal paperwork to travel internationally, your ship will need some too, as well as your crew, if any. Let's forget currents and wind directions for a moment (something you absolutely cannot do when considering a sailboat) and discuss the "lay of the land" between Mumbai and L.A. Can you handle pirates or radical religious or political extremists? Seems there are lots of them in little islands of Indonesia, the Phillipines, and other parts of the SE Asia coast. Sailboats mean rich people to people who have nothing and make an easy target. If you've travelled the sea a bit you've probably run thru some storms, the perspective is a lot different from the deck of a 50 foot sailboat 6 feet off the water than it is from the deck of a 500-1000 foot ship 100-150 feet off the water. Not to mention, those ships travel some 15-20 knots non-stop, your sailboat can maybe hit 8-10 occasionally on a real good day if you really know what your doing. And then there are the differences in responsibilities between being a captain and being a crew member or a passenger. Have you ever been crew on any of the ships you've been on? If none of that bothers you it is quite possible to accomplish if you have the time, money, knowledge, and adequate preparation, many people have sailed around the world on their own ships.

Minnewaska 07-15-2015 12:25 PM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?
 
Flying lessons maybe?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome