SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/210577-possible-travel-own-ship-rule.html)

rishi851 07-14-2015 06:31 AM

Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?

Hey guys,

I have a peculiar query. Lately I've become very frustrated(and even a tad bit scared) of flying. The long waits at the airport, the entire process is a bore to me. When younger(I am 30) I would get excited at the prospect of flying. Not anymore.

I am a film director(and yes, someday it is my dream to make the definitive Sailing movie). As such I will have to keep travelling across continents. I intend to keep two houses-one in Mumbai and another in LA and divide my time.

Now here's my question: My father was a marine sailor and sailed for 30 years before retiring as a Master/Captain. I sailed almost the entire world on his few ships(Bulk carriers/Oil tankers). Even then I loved the serenity of the oceans. Perhaps in retrospect that is why I got into an artistic field.

Is it my overactive fantasy or can I have a boat and literally use it to cross oceans like I did with my father? Of course with much practise. I am already reading seaman's manuals and astro navigation.

I'd need to buy a nice boat ofcourse

killarney_sailor 07-14-2015 09:31 AM

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?

Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? Nor really. You have to remember that when you travel by boat you go very slowly, perhaps 1/100th of the speed of an airplane. Also you need to deal with prevailing winds and currents and storm (cyclone) seasons. Going from California to India and back would really mean sailing around the world. Even with a very fast race boat you would be doing very well to complete this journey in three months and that would only be possible with departures at the right time of year. Better off to get help dealing with the flight phobia.

MarkofSeaLife 07-14-2015 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As Killarney says.

Mumbai to LA: You cannot get further apart in the sailing world. It is a multi year passage because you can not go direct in one season in either direction. So to sail either way will take you 18 months.

That's too long.

Sorry to be a dampener on your thoughts but you are going to need to fall in love with flying again :)

aeventyr60 07-14-2015 10:53 AM

Book a cruise on the QEII and enjoy yourself.

Markwesti 07-14-2015 10:23 PM

If you make a sailing movie and you use this song in the movie I will buy a ticket .
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7tiOHXiFwgk?list=PLdTYAxehGk-SDxEa8RU3P-XWyx0xfOVoa" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.
Really I would , here is a idea ... Buy a sail boat, (LA .). It will give you a whole new out look on the day ( Peter Fonda , Easy Rider ) .

capttb 07-14-2015 10:48 PM

Yes, but you'd be better served with something like a Nordhavn than a sailboat, and your still only going to average about 6 kts. at 1.6 to 2 GPH.
My wife wants a 40' "baby Nordie" when we retire from sailing.

Hudsonian 07-14-2015 11:20 PM

A friend recently sailed from the NY Metro area to Gambia to attend a conference and sailed back; double handed on 38' sloop. He's shooting for a low carbon footprint

grnrngr 07-14-2015 11:53 PM

There are companies that will book you as a passenger on a working ship, just googled "cruising on freighters" and got several hits. Might fit your needs well, gives you time at sea as well as being on a schedule. Just a WAG, but I'm thinking that trip would maybe be two or three weeks on a freighter as opposed to several months on a sailboat.

rishi851 07-15-2015 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grnrngr (Post 2909345)
There are companies that will book you as a passenger on a working ship, just googled "cruising on freighters" and got several hits. Might fit your needs well, gives you time at sea as well as being on a schedule. Just a WAG, but I'm thinking that trip would maybe be two or three weeks on a freighter as opposed to several months on a sailboat.

Oh Yes, yes.....They are. I have done all the research. And these are the ships my father captained and I spent all my childhood in-bulk carriers and oil tankers(mainly bulk carriers or frieghters as you call them)

They usually charge around 4k(inclusive of everything-bed, food) and last anywhere from 20 days to a month. Very fascinating but there comes a time when one wants to take charge. I will do this once a blue moon though.

rishi851 07-15-2015 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife (Post 2907865)
As Killarney says.

Mumbai to LA: You cannot get further apart in the sailing world. It is a multi year passage because you can not go direct in one season in either direction. So to sail either way will take you 18 months.

That's too long.

Sorry to be a dampener on your thoughts but you are going to need to fall in love with flying again :)

:cut_out_animated_em

Yeah yeah, that is what I want. I'd love a few months in the ocean like the good ole days. Not that I'd be making a trip every few months. Just once a year ritual.