Rowing an inflatable - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 07-15-2015

Re: Rowing an inflatable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
They can be rowed. Kneel in the bow and paddle with one oar. If the wind comes up paddle faster...
But get 'decent' oars, as the ones found on these 'water sit-upons' usually break very easily ..... especially when its windy and youre 'rowing harder'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 07-15-2015

I've had several inflatables, last two high pressure floor with inflatable keel. I never put the outboard on for many trips. I'd say I row 95% of the time to my mooring, which is maybe 400' ok, 300 feet

I know everyone always says they don't row, so I've always just kind of scratched my head and kept rowing. It has its limitations for sure. You can't fill the boat up, need to leave some room to move, and a full boat against the wind is a challenge. I've also worn out oarlocks and replaced.

The toy boats may not work very well, but give it shot. Like mark says, you can sit on a tube or kneel and paddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13 of 29 Old 07-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
I've been renting a sailboat for the season which is on a mooring. The only way I have had to get out to the boat is to pay the marinas launch service at $25 a round trip.

I was considering buying a cheap inflatable like this
Amazon.com : Intex Challenger 2, 2-Person Inflatable Boat Set with French Oars and High Output Air Pump : Open Water Inflatable Rafts : Sports & Outdoors

Anyone use something like this? Seems like, with the flat bottom and all, that they may be hard to control while rowing.
That is a cheap pool toy. It has unreinforced PVC, so the more you inflate it, the bigger it gets, and it never gets firm.

Spend a little more money, and you can get this, which is significantly better quality (3-ply fabric reinforced PVC). When inflated properly, it gets very firm:
http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Mariner-Boat-Set-Grey/dp/B00ACBCOII/It still suffers all the rowing issues of any inflatable, but it is significantly more durable than the cheap toy that you showed. But by getting a soft bottom, it is much lighter and easier to roll up for storage. Look at the reviews on Amazon to see the positive things that actual owners say about it.

I have the previous version of the same thing. They changed the name because of confusion with one of their cheap pool toys. They also added a bit of a V-shape to the bottom, which will make it track a little better when rowing.

Here's mine:

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

post #14 of 29 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.

@TakeFive

How long does it take to inflate your dinghy with the hand pump?

How compact is it when deflated and folded up?

Last edited by archimedes; 07-15-2015 at 10:20 PM.
post #15 of 29 Old 07-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

@TakeFive

How long does it take to inflate your dinghy with the hand pump?

How compact is it when deflated and folded up?
I bought this instead (actually already had it for other stuff when I bought the raft). Fits the Boston valve perfectly. 10 minutes max. Use the hand pump to top it off, and take it with me on the boat in case of emergency.
Coleman 12V QuickPump Electric Air Pump - Walmart.com

Pretty compact, as required for a 25 foot sailboat with limited space:

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-15-2015 at 10:56 PM.
post #16 of 29 Old 07-15-2015

One of our club members has a Seahawk with a hard plastic floor so they can haul their Rottweiler. They row it all the time.
post #17 of 29 Old 07-16-2015

A decent quality inflatable will row OK. Not as well as a hard dinghy, but not bad. It must be made of reinforced fabric (PVC or hypalon) not the PVC only toys. A decent floor is also necessary. Best for rowing is one with a solid wood or aluminum floor as that allows for an inflatable keel, but getting the floor in is a bit of a pain.
post #18 of 29 Old 07-16-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Of all the possible alternatives rowing a cheap pvc inflatable would be my last choice.

A round transom Avon with slightly longer one piece oars would be my choice if you need something that stows in a locker. Floorboards improve things.

But a proper pulling hard dinghy is the best choice from a rowing point of view. It will be significantly better at making headway against a head wind and chop.
post #19 of 29 Old 07-16-2015

If you have the time there are multiple plans for stitch and glue or fancier nesting plywood dinghies available on the internet. They weigh next to nothing, row very well, can be cartopped assembled or in the back of any thing with a hatchback and fold down seats. They will fit on your fordeck when travelling and you can fish off of them. In the future when you have the coin a small outboard can go on it. Might be a better choice for this boat and the next.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #20 of 29 Old 07-16-2015

Plans for an El Toro run $30, and you can race them...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in