Rowing an inflatable - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 Old 07-17-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Re: Rowing an inflatable

An El Toro does not row particularly well. Neither does an Oppie.

This on the other hand does. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/...s/greene/cham/

Last edited by TQA; 07-17-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 07-17-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrngr View Post
Kayaks can be fun getting in and out of. Got my Folbot Greenland 2 double kayak with sail rig for $100...same folks gave me an 8 foot Avon that rows half decent in the marina, unadvertised, just needed a patch. I just bought a fiberglass El Toro hull in great shape with a cradle for $40. Just the hull and cradle now, but buy a few fittings, make a mast, rudder, and dagger board and I'm still in it cheap. You definitely need to check frequently and be quick on low priced items on Craigslist.
Now that is a steal, most I see on CL are about a grand. Though the last one did have the factory sailing kit.
post #23 of 29 Old 07-17-2015

yup.. needless to say, I was excited. Got everything with it, lee boards, rudder, tiller, lateen rig with a decent sail, and a bag to put all the pieces in when broken down. The boat itself needs some work, there's a big hole in the deck behind the cockpit, I can patch it for now, but it's 70's orange...at some point it's gotta go. But I don't want to wander off the thread, if I was just gonna up and build one, I'd probably go for the Chameleon as well, nice design.

post #24 of 29 Old 07-18-2015

Well it sounds to me like the cheapo option might work for the OP given that the real launch will always be a backup.

I've had a Sevylor "Fish Hunter" as my main dingy for 5 years and despite several attempts, I havn't found anything better for my needs.

I tried a 6' "real" inflatable but it's still roughly 5x bigger when deflated than the sevylor (and laugh out loud small when inflated). I thought about towing around a dingy but it's too much of a paine. So I still have the fish hunter neatly stored in a cockpit locker and it's been there when I've needed it.

As for rowing...it's ok and suitable for rowing in typical sailing conditions I think. One risk with inflatables in general, and cheap inflatables because of their lack of durability is that if it deflates the rowing ability is seriously compromised. My fish hunter has like 6 chambers, so it won't ever sink, but if a main chamber goes down in pressure it just collapses against the oar stroke.

Durability has been fine for me though granted I've only averaged about 2-4 uses a year. I now keep adhesive bike tire patches on-board which can be applied instantly (probably good to have on any inflatable).

One last tip for the OP: If you're going to walk down to the beach Ryobi makes a nice 18V cordless inflator.
post #25 of 29 Old 07-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...They changed the name because of confusion with one of their cheap pool toys. They also added a bit of a V-shape to the bottom, which will make it track a little better when rowing.

Here's mine:
FYI, my raft (prior version) is called Seahawk II. This created a lot of customer confusion because Intex also sold a cheap pool toy called Seahawk 2. Intex also sells a very nice larger 4-person raft called Mariner 4 with the same 3-ply fabric reinforced construction as the prior Seahawk II. So to relieve the confusion, they re-branded the Seahawk II as the Mariner 3. So now:

• Mariner=decent, durable quality raft made with 3 ply fabric reinforced construction. Sold in 3 and 4 person sizes
  • Seahawk=cheap PVC pool toy

After looking closer, it appears that the Mariner 3 was also redesigned with a roll-up hard-bottom floor (just like the Mariner 4 has). This makes for a more stiff, stable boat and a bit of v-bottom for good tracking (probably an inflatable keel). The downside is weight: Shipping weight of the Seahawk II was 44 lb, while the Mariner 3 is 68 lb.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-19-2015 at 10:59 AM.
post #26 of 29 Old 07-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
Hadn't thought of using a kayak, and I've never heard of a two piece kayak. That sounds interesting.

A kayak might sit too low to the water to get in the boat though.
Depends on the waves. In calm waters it is relatively easy to stand up in a kayak long enough to get out, remembering you will have a hand on the toe rail.

The Other Chesapeake: By Kayak

(more dependable, too)

You will learn to love the kayak for its own merits, taking it on vacation next time.

While I prefer hard sit-in kayaks, there are some good inflatables that paddle pretty well. A much better bet for one person.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #27 of 29 Old 07-19-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

that sevylor will last ye about one round trip. yes i had one.
you would do better with low budget going to rei to buy a coleman dinghy--is a rowboat, sturdy plastic and will last much longer than you want it to last. rows easily, and actually has a place to put a battery and a minnkota outboard trolling motor.
cheap at about 250-300 usd. total.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #28 of 29 Old 07-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
FYI, my raft (prior version) is called Seahawk II. This created a lot of customer confusion because Intex also sold a cheap pool toy called Seahawk 2. Intex also sells a very nice larger 4-person raft called Mariner 4 with the same 3-ply fabric reinforced construction as the prior Seahawk II. So to relieve the confusion, they re-branded the Seahawk II as the Mariner 3. So now:

• Mariner=decent, durable quality raft made with 3 ply fabric reinforced construction. Sold in 3 and 4 person sizes
  • Seahawk=cheap PVC pool toy

After looking closer, it appears that the Mariner 3 was also redesigned with a roll-up hard-bottom floor (just like the Mariner 4 has). This makes for a more stiff, stable boat and a bit of v-bottom for good tracking (probably an inflatable keel). The downside is weight: Shipping weight of the Seahawk II was 44 lb, while the Mariner 3 is 68 lb.

How small is that when stored? Do you think the floor that it comes with now would be much of an advantage? Where do you store it? This thread has me somewhat seriously re-evaluating my dingy.

My "Fish Hunter" has been fine, like I said earlier, but these 3-ply boats aren't that much more money and don't appear to be any more weight but are presumably sturdier. Do you agree?

I'm looking at the Mariner 3 ($193/70lbs) and Bestway Hydro-Force ($140/33lbs). The Mariner 3 has the floor which accounts for most of the weight difference. The Bestway is sold in two colors which both have very good reviews.

Although I'm typically averse to size and weight I presume the floor is separate and rolled up is probably easy to store. It also presumably makes the boat more solid and durable (I always worry about punctures when stepping into the boat with sand and rocks stuck on my feet). Hmm.

http://www.amazon.com/Bestway-Hydro-Force-Voyager-Inflatable-Boat/dp/B00MJNCCHU/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1437438303&sr=1-9&keywords=intex+mariner+3
post #29 of 29 Old 07-20-2015

The Bestway Hydro-Force looks like an exact duplicate of the Seahawk II design that I have. Basically it's the Mariner 3 with a soft inflatable floor instead of a roll-up hard floor.

The tradeoff is stiffness vs. weight. As you can see, the roll-up floor more than doubles the weight, but almost certainly adds stiffness. I do not know how much bulk it adds to storage when it's rolled up. For me personally, lugging around 30-40 lbs is a lot easier than 70+ lbs, so unless you plan to use it an awful lot and tow it, the lighter weight may be better.

As for storing my Seahawk II, my Catalina 250 has a seriously oversized aft berth (larger than queen size), so I tuck it (in its bag) on the port side aft berth, just behind the bulkhead for the head. I used to keep it in the A-berth in front of the backrest, but I no longer have room because that's where I store the portable air conditioner.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in