Sailtimer Wind Vane - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-23-2015 Thread Starter

Sailtimer Wind Vane

This new Sailtimer wireless anemometer should be shipping shortly. I was one of the first pre-orders, so hopefully I will be getting mine soon:

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 09-03-2015

Re: Sailtimer Wind Vane

I finally received my SailTimer wind vane from the factory. It was ordered in December for delivery in March!
Last week I emailed again asking for a speedy delivery or I would ask for a refund. Then I found the web pages for the company are either down (error 404) or blocked in some way (error 403). To my surprise after finding the company was no longer visible on the internet, I got an email from Post Canada with a tracking number.

The package arrived today. It was not very well packed, just stuffed in a box with some bubble wrap. When I held it up by the mount I found is was out of balance. The arm holding the pointer/counter-weight is a little bent!

The unit talks to my i-pad and to my i-phone 4 using the SailTimerApp. Now how do I use the charts in SailTimer CE? I downloaded the pro version for an extra $10. Do I still have to pay for the charts? I only want the Ottawa river for now. It seemed to download the charts but did not ask me to pay and I do not see how to enable the charts in the app.
No manuals are available on line since the web site is down. Is anyone further along than I. Has anyone got a manual they could upload to the rest of us?
post #3 of 31 Old 09-14-2015

John Wood,

Did you use the SailTimer API app to get the unit to connect to the SailTimerApp?

post #4 of 31 Old 09-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
John Wood,

Did you use the SailTimer API app to get the unit to connect to the SailTimerApp?
Yes.
That is the way you have to do it. The API takes the Bluetooth data and generates an NMEA 0183 format sentences which are made available to other programs. Once the API connects via Bluetooth to the SailTimer the NMEA sentences are printed on the screen. Now put the API in he background and start the SailTimerApp. It all seems to work for me but I do not have charts working yet. I am on the Ottawa river so the only charts I need are the for the area upstream of Ottawa. I have charts from Navionics but I have not found confirmation that this area is available on the charts offered by SailTimer.
The SailTimer websites seem to have come alive again, so I will try looking for some help from them.
post #5 of 31 Old 12-14-2015

How do you find the SailTimer? I just received an email about their newest model design. Looks like they're improving. Do you think it's worth it?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WzfuKxbFckY

SailTimer Wind Instrument?
post #6 of 31 Old 02-05-2016
NimbleCapt

Mr Wood
which version of the Sailtimer Wind Vane did you receive? I have been waiting a year
Hugh Winsor
post #7 of 31 Old 02-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by winsor View Post
Mr Wood
which version of the Sailtimer Wind Vane did you receive? I have been waiting a year
Hugh Winsor
I ordered mine in December and they just sent me an email today that they're starting to ship 2015 orders.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-05-2016

just an update, ordered in December, still has not shipped. Have received a few emails newsletters from them.
post #9 of 31 Old 06-12-2016 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTy View Post
just an update, ordered in December, still has not shipped. Have received a few emails newsletters from them.
I received mine recently, but I'm selling my current boat and buying one that has a traditional Raymarine anemometer. Let me know if you're tired of waiting to receive delivery. Maybe you could consider canceling your order and buying mine. I will ship much much faster than those guys (if you're in the US).
Zarathu likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #10 of 31 Old 06-12-2016
Master Mariner

Golly gee, the unit in the pic here; 'https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/211841-sailtimer-wind-vane.html' looks huge! What is the possibility that this thing would be ejected off the mast if pounding into some big seas in a blow?
Bet the birds will love it too.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in