Computer Upgrade - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 07-25-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Computer Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I have a spare computer that I'm going to wipe completely and give Linux a try for nav. The Navigatrix program look very interesting. Which version of the Linux op systems do you think would be best to give a spin?
Navagatrix is a simple to install Ubuntu based install that comes with all kinds of Nautical software, including some stuff for shortwave radios and what not. I would start with it. I have it on a laptop that runs fine, with a USB Puck, installed with the puck hooked up and Open CPN found it no issues at all. Bada Bing Bada Boom and it was working within about 45 min. I don't think Navagatrix has the latest version of Open CPN but if you like it you can worry about updating it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 07-25-2015 Thread Starter
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Navagatrix is a simple to install Ubuntu based install that comes with all kinds of Nautical software, including some stuff for shortwave radios and what not. I would start with it. I have it on a laptop that runs fine, with a USB Puck, installed with the puck hooked up and Open CPN found it no issues at all. Bada Bing Bada Boom and it was working within about 45 min. I don't think Navagatrix has the latest version of Open CPN but if you like it you can worry about updating it later.
Been doing some research on this and just downloaded Open CPN to try again on my home Win7 64 machine. I've tried it intermittently for a few years on XP 32 and have always wound up removing it because of one glitch or another. I just plotted some courses in the last hour actually, and it is holding up well in places where it crashed before, being unable to stitch ENC charts. So it has apparently improved. The chart loading also seems to be a lot faster but that may just be the computer. On a dedicated Linux system it should work even more efficiently.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #23 of 62 Old 07-25-2015

Quote:
Been doing some research on this and just downloaded Open CPN to try again on my home Win7 64 machine. I've tried it intermittently for a few years on XP 32 and have always wound up removing it because of one glitch or another. I just plotted some courses in the last hour actually, and it is holding up well in places where it crashed before, being unable to stitch ENC charts. So it has apparently improved. The chart loading also seems to be a lot faster but that may just be the computer. On a dedicated Linux system it should work even more efficiently.
I run OpenCPN on a vanilla Ubuntu as well as on a Navigatrix, and both perform flawlessly. I avoid Windoze like the plague.

post #24 of 62 Old 07-25-2015
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Linuxes are pretty good - Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinux OS - all great choices, except if you really can't do without a critical Windows-only software. That's why my work PC is still stuck on windows 4 years after I shifted to Ubuntu full time on my laptop - just for 1 crucial windows-only app!
Install virtualbox and install Windows as a virtual OS. My work pc is Linux and I run my bookkeeping software on a virtual Windows installation. Best of both worlds!
Rhapsody-NS27 and Atlas like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ReefMagnet For This Useful Post:
smurphny (07-26-2015)
post #25 of 62 Old 07-26-2015

Quote:
I have a spare computer that I'm going to wipe completely and give Linux a try for nav. The Navigatrix program look very interesting. Which version of the Linux op systems do you think would be best to give a spin?
Asking "which Linux" is going to be like asking about "Steel v/s fibreglass", so I'm not going to start off a distro war here.

If you've never used Linux before, and are familiar with Windows only, you could try Zorin OS or Linux Mint with Cinnamon/ Mate. Don't worry, any one of these is a fine choice, and will let you get your feet wet without having to wrap your head around a completely different way of interacting with your PC.
JimMcGee likes this.

The only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask because you thought it would make you look dumb.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlas For This Useful Post:
smurphny (07-26-2015)
post #26 of 62 Old 07-26-2015 Thread Starter
Over Hill Sailing Club

Taking this all down guys. Thanks.

So, what can be done in a transition regarding Excel spreadsheets and Word files transfer? It'll be easy enough to just start from scratch with navigation stuff but impossible to start from scratch with hundreds of Windows-based files accumulated over the years. In communications with other computer users, is there translation ability so that text files sent from Linux can be read by Windows-based recipients and vice versa.

This particular job is new to me but I've been involved with computers since the Commodore, writing my own business programs, DOS, managing networked computer systems at school, etc. so am fairly confident in making things work.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #27 of 62 Old 07-26-2015

Quote:

So, what can be done in a transition regarding Excel spreadsheets and Word files transfer?
This would be OpenOffice/LibreOffice. There are others but this is the canonical choice for everything Microsoft Office does.
Rhapsody-NS27 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MastUndSchotbruch For This Useful Post:
smurphny (07-26-2015)
post #28 of 62 Old 07-26-2015
Living the dream

Quote:

So, what can be done in a transition regarding Excel spreadsheets and Word files transfer? It'll be easy enough to just start from scratch with navigation stuff but impossible to start from scratch with hundreds of Windows-based files accumulated over the years. In communications with other computer users, is there translation ability so that text files sent from Linux can be read by Windows-based recipients and vice versa.

This particular job is new to me but I've been involved with computers since the Commodore, writing my own business programs, DOS, managing networked computer systems at school, etc. so am fairly confident in making things work.
I'm a windows programmer now running Linux. I use libreoffice for the vast majority of correspondence and then mostly saved as pdf if I send. Occasionally I have to open stuff in my copy of Ms office in (one of) my virtual Windows, but that's rare indeed. In fact I've used libreoffice and OpenOffice when it was originally owned by Sun (forgot the name of the suite back then) and never had dramas. These days you can open office docs with the online viewers provided with an outlook/live/hotmail email account.
post #29 of 62 Old 07-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
In fact I've used libreoffice and OpenOffice when it was originally owned by Sun (forgot the name of the suite back then) and never had dramas..
That would have been Staroffice.

I can do one better: I used Staroffice even before Sun bought it
The Following User Says Thank You to MastUndSchotbruch For This Useful Post:
ReefMagnet (07-26-2015)
post #30 of 62 Old 07-26-2015 Thread Starter
Over Hill Sailing Club

So, off into the unknown. Just wiped an old laptop with Dban and installing Ubuntu. Love this stuff. You guys remember writing macros for Lotus? Programming in MS Basic? The prehistoric past is only a few years into that past:-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in