Moisture Meter Recomendations - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 08-05-2015
Dirt Free

Re: Moisture Meter Recomendations

Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager
Another point of view.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
CapnRed (08-05-2015), JimMcGee (09-11-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Great info Boatpoker. I might be better off taping some plastic sheets over my ground out blisters and seeing if any moisture droplets come out in the heat rather than messing with a meter.
davidpm likes this.
post #13 of 30 Old 08-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Unfortunately, the Ryobi is currently out of stock with all the major suppliers.

Gary
Home Depot website is reporting it as discontinued. Too bad. Decent piece of equipment at a great price. Mine was a refurb from Amazon so they may reappear there in the future.

post #14 of 30 Old 08-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Home Depot website is reporting it as discontinued. Too bad. Decent piece of equipment at a great price. Mine was a refurb from Amazon so they may reappear there in the future.
I actually called Ryobi customer service and was told it was discontinued. They didn't have it in any of their warehouses or in production.

That's disappointing since I've read several reviews of this meter being used on boat hulls along with a more expensive meter and having similar results.

Last edited by CapnRed; 08-07-2015 at 03:31 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-04-2015

Amazon has refurbished Ryobi moisture meters back in stock if anyone is still interested.
http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Ryobi-ZRE49MM01-Pinless-Moisture/dp/B0057BFLGK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441410579&sr=8-3&keywords=ryobi+pinless+moisture+meter
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
JimMcGee (09-11-2015)
post #16 of 30 Old 09-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Amazon has refurbished Ryobi moisture meters back in stock if anyone is still interested.
Factory-Reconditioned Ryobi ZRE49MM01 Pinless Moisture Meter - - Amazon.com
Seriously, I added to my cart and it shows $40 dollars for the total. Can this be correct? If it is it's a no brainer.

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
post #17 of 30 Old 09-04-2015

I bought a CT-33 and it was invaluable when I was inspecting boats before purchasing my Norseman.

I do need to sell it now though. Of note is the poor guy who hauled his 60 foot power cruiser in the yard where I'm at. He had a ding in his keel to fix and they cut out some of the surrounding small damage area.
The thing drained water for days. The yard then tried to patch it but hydraulic pressure would pop off any patch they tried.

I mentioned I had the CT33 moisture meter and offered to check his gigantic hull. The meter was off the scale on his entire hull to the waterline where is was normal. It was a cored hull. I broke to news to him -delicately but it became obvious that he had a massive problem with a completely soaked foam cored hull. The guy was not happy. I can only imagine the $$$ and time to fix that. He knew he had a soaked hull and his only immediate option was to patch up the hole and motor it off somewhere to think about what next -while avoiding any rough seas.

I guess that's what moisture meters are for..... Destroying peoples dreams.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
Seriously, I added to my cart and it shows $40 dollars for the total. Can this be correct? If it is it's a no brainer.
Yep. That's what I paid for mine a couple of years ago. At the time news ones at Home Depot were $60. My refurb has worked fine with no problems.
post #19 of 30 Old 09-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckedOutRob View Post
I mentioned I had the CT33 moisture meter and offered to check his gigantic hull. The meter was off the scale on his entire hull to the waterline where is was normal.
The CT-33 will read wet on a dry boat if you use it over some types of paint. Notably any paint with copper in it.

If it sees metal of any kind it calls it wet.

Are you sure your reading was not in error because of the bottom paint.

it it read consistently off the scale anywhere there was bottom paint that would make more sense than the whole hull being equally saturated.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
post #20 of 30 Old 09-04-2015

For sure. It was a badly soaked hull. In fact to prove it to the guy we went around the entire yard of boats (apx. 20) many with the same bottom paint. Found a few with wet areas.

I thought it wise to apologize to the yard boss (on the down low) to keep my ass out of hot water since I live here. The yard managers knew the boat was hosed but just elected not to tell him the news so as to be not involved in an ugly job they did not want to work on.

I of course understand how to use the CT-33. Any metals or water/fuel tanks/energized wires behind the laminate show up as "wet".
davidpm likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in