Don't buy a windlass from these people - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 Old 08-10-2015

Re: Don't buy a windlass from these people

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Quick was given clear instructions by email that the package must be marked warranty. When I complained to them they insisted that thry had marked the paperwork as directed. I then sent them a copy of the paperwork proving them wrong. That was when they stopped responding to me. You don't work for Quick do you ?
Take a look at my location and you will have the answer to that question. Pretty sure Quick doesn't have an office in Edmonton, AB Canada.

As I stated before, they are under no "obligation" to mark papers in any way, other than declaring what is in the package. YOU, are the Canadian citizen importing a good. Its %100 up to you to deal with our customs and immigration people (even in a warranty situation).

I would like to point you to the official Canadian rule on warranty or replacement goods. No matter what they marked the item, you would owe Duty on it again!

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...8-2-10-eng.pdf

Here is the pertinent section!

Replacement Goods
23. Where a replacement good is provided to a customer
rather than repairing the original good, the replacement
good is classified under Chapters 1 to 97 of the Customs
Tariff and full customs duties are owing. The importation of
the replacement good is generally subject to GST/HST,
unless the conditions of section 5 of Schedule VII to the
Excise Tax Act are met.
24. GST/HST relief under section 5 is available whether
the warranty relates to tangible personal property or to
property that has been incorporated into real property.
25. Where the conditions of section 5 are met, GST/HST
Tax Status Code 55 is entered in field 35. The invoice or
written statement from the non-resident supplier must
provide the value of the replacement good even where there
is no charge to the importer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 Old 08-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
...I'm curious why you used them in the first place? No source in Canada or was their price presumably worth the import fees? How much are we talking about?
Quote:
We don't manufacture much of anything in Canada except parasitic politicians, we import just about everything.
...I doubt this equipment was manufactured in the USA.

in any case, prices for any boat-related item costs much more in Canada, not everything is available and there are few chandleries in the Great Lakes. I do a lot of buying from the US, but it costs me $30 and 2 hours of my time for a drive across.
Domestic shipping in the US is quick and very cheap. I have an address in Niagara Falls, NY where they receive my stuff and hold for pick up. This is how I am able to buy from eBay, Defender and McMaster Carr and others that either don't ship here or charge exorbitant fees for international shipping. Even with the low CAD $ I am still ahead. I group my purchases and there is no hassle at the border, sometimes they ask me to pay the HST and that is it. It could take more than two hours to deal with these issues...
post #23 of 27 Old 08-12-2015 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Take a look at my location and you will have the answer to that question. Pretty sure Quick doesn't have an office in Edmonton, AB Canada.

As I stated before, they are under no "obligation" to mark papers in any way, other than declaring what is in the package. YOU, are the Canadian citizen importing a good. Its %100 up to you to deal with our customs and immigration people (even in a warranty situation).

I would like to point you to the official Canadian rule on warranty or replacement goods. No matter what they marked the item, you would owe Duty on it again!

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...8-2-10-eng.pdf

Here is the pertinent section!

Replacement Goods
23. Where a replacement good is provided to a customer
rather than repairing the original good, the replacement
good is classified under Chapters 1 to 97 of the Customs
Tariff and full customs duties are owing. The importation of
the replacement good is generally subject to GST/HST,
unless the conditions of section 5 of Schedule VII to the
Excise Tax Act are met.
24. GST/HST relief under section 5 is available whether
the warranty relates to tangible personal property or to
property that has been incorporated into real property.
25. Where the conditions of section 5 are met, GST/HST
Tax Status Code 55 is entered in field 35. The invoice or
written statement from the non-resident supplier must
provide the value of the replacement good even where there
is no charge to the importer

Three points.
1. You conveniently bypass the exception noted in the rule.

2. Quick agreed to mark the paperwork as requested then failed to do so even thoough there is a box on the bill of lading form for this purpose.

3. Quick then lied and insisted that they did mark the form as requested and failed to respond when it was proven that they did not.

How many of your family members work for this company ?

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

post #24 of 27 Old 08-12-2015

This isn't going to be resolved in SN court. Vendor bashing, when the bashee doesn't get the opportunity to defend themselves can only go so far. That line was crossed a while ago, IMO.

Sorry to hear of the difficulty. Sounds like some lessons learned and, since the question was never answered, I presume you're still ahead of what you would have paid locally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #25 of 27 Old 08-12-2015 Thread Starter
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sorry to hear of the difficulty. Sounds like some lessons learned and, since the question was never answered, I presume you're still ahead of what you would have paid locally.
Price is not the issue, being lied to, atrocious attitude and failure to respond are the issues.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-12-2015

Got it. From a vendor that seems unfamiliar with international shipping rules and, as you report, has discontinued the practice. I'm not saying who was right and who was wrong. Lesson learned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-13-2015

Quote:
Don't you think the people that caused the problem should fix it ?
Let them pay me then they can try and get their money back from Canada Customs, my time is valuable to me.
I hate to point out the obvious -- ok, that's not true since I'm doing it anyway -- but if you put as much time into getting a refund from Canada Customs as you have put time into this thread.....

One thing is for sure. The internet is a complainer's paradise.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in