Daysailers: Mostly Dry? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 08-04-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Daysailers: Mostly Dry?

I understand the concerns about towing with my 2010 Focus, but that is all I have. I have a Class 1 hitch installed by Uhaul supposedly up to 2,000 pounds, not that I plan to tow that much.

Before 2008, the Focus was rated at 2,050 pounds towing, but no ratings on the newer ones. I pulled the loaded Uhaul trailer from South Texas to Florida with no problems except reduced gas mileage. I am NOT worried or concerned about pulling a trailer with a small daysailer.

The West Wright Potter 15 looks like a nice boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 08-04-2015

Mark
No doubt you are right about our willingness to buy a 3/4 ton truck we don't need. I exceed the rating on my 19 year old explorer with some regularity, the transmission is cranky but hasn't failed yet. So this goes back to the question by Siamese. What happens if you have a bad day while exceeding your vehicle's rating by a significant margin (i.e. anything in my Focus). Can the insurance company give you the stupid award and walk away? I saw a guy loose his pick up at the ramp last month. He just had a plastic boat on the bed, but the transmission failed so DNR had to send in the divers. Would insurance cover the salvage bill if he had exceeded his gross vehicle rating?
post #23 of 36 Old 08-05-2015

I'd suggest a sonar they pretty stable and about 23' in length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #24 of 36 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsinbad View Post

The West Wright Potter 15 looks like a nice boat.
Make sure you sit in one and imagine sailing it with however many guests you might have. I find the cockpit very small for more than 2 smallish adults.
post #25 of 36 Old 08-05-2015

The sonar is 7' beam and 2,100lbs and easily trailerable it performs well in light winds and is easy to sail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 36 Old 08-05-2015
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter

I see you're in Clearwater. THE ADMIRAL and I sail a Mud Hen 17 in NY and that was made in your area by Florida Bay Boat Co. May be worth checking out if you spot one. Very dry - it has a 3" lip all around the hull that sheds spray. Ideal for poking in shallows and has an outboard well (motor can tip up inside & out of the flow) for those time you need one. Can also be rowed iff you add oarlocks and "deck" support.

It's really a terrific little daysailor. Weighs 650 lbs and our Jetta had no problems towing and stopping it. Currently I drive a RAV4 and it's like it's not there. The perambulator cabin (long dodger) is great for privacy or to use the porta-potti, and it has a good sized bimini as well. Really a little Swiss Army Knife of boats. Good amount of sail (155 ft2) and two reefs, plus in a disaster you can drop the yard and scandalize the main until you can get time to make better arrangements.

Can arrive at a ramp and be sailing in 15 minutes, and leaving takes the same time. We have a tonneau cover that buttons it all up for trailering and storage.

Here's a minute video on youtube: https://youtu.be/2S3tyohQnmg
Attached Thumbnails
MH4.jpg   DSCN1636b.jpg   DSCN1632b (1024x768).jpg   main.jpg  

Charlie P. Mud Hen 17 #69 Mad Hatter

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau

Last edited by Delirious; 08-05-2015 at 01:33 PM.
post #27 of 36 Old 08-05-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by snash1970 View Post
Precision 15. Comes in centerboard or keel models. I have had both in the past and currently have a keel version. Love the 250 lbs of ballast on the bigger bodies of water. Keel draws 21 inches and centerboard (board up) is 6 inches. towing weight ranges from 500 to 700 lbs. Pull it with my mini cooper.
Yup, and a Precision 165 is only 750 and trailer is 300 I think.

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
post #28 of 36 Old 08-05-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

As snash 1970 suggested, I need to actually find some of these in my area and hopefully see them in person. Better yet, would be to go sailing in them. I just have to find a way to do that.
post #29 of 36 Old 08-06-2015
Captain Obvious

Sailing a Com-Pac 16 Sailboat to the Bahamas Single-handed

Compac 16
post #30 of 36 Old 08-06-2015
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter

We owned a ComPac 16 (II) in the early 80's. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't hesitate a second . . . to buy a Montgomery 15 or 17 instead.

But then we're lake sailors and spend a lot of time clawing upwind. For freshwater the ComPac needs a foot more keel or a board and 25% more sail area.

Very solid, very well made, very stodgy. I will say I believe that bout could suffer severe conditions well.

Charlie P. Mud Hen 17 #69 Mad Hatter

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive - R.L. Stevenson

I suspect that, if you should go to the end of the world, you would find somebody there going farther . . . - H.D. Thoreau

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in