Mantus review - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 08-14-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Mantus review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
They didn't get bent or get more rounded. They sorta became out of focus. I think operator error started to come into play. The tests are coming along though, but I haven't tried it coastal sailing. I'll do that first before I go offshore with it. I'll keep you posted.

Say Smack, that's a real nice tried and true opener you got there. Rugged and reliable. I like it. The guys at Mantus sent out 5 the other week who could properly beg for one. I was one of the lucky few. Can't beat free!

As for a twisted wine opener RTB, I think Rocna made some of them a while back that were farmed out to China to cut costs

Cheers,
So was it the opener or the Opener who got bent?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 08-14-2015 Thread Starter

SV Tatia, it's my primary now. It's a seat of the pants testing. Since not all sailors don't need no stinking instructions, there were none. I didn't want to call for fear of being seen as inept, so I'm winging it. I guess it works on various bottle tops. I'm not done with field testing yet. It'll be a while. The field now is with a few dock friends for their unbiased view points and a couple of random drunks that stagger by on the odd occasion. They all like the design and quality of the opener.

Capta, funny you should mention it. It was my girlfriend who encouraged me to enter for the kind give-away. She's been mentioning how uncomfortable it is when I use her lower teeth to open my bottled beer, so just to be nice, I entered and won an opener. She's a great gal, no?
post #13 of 22 Old 08-15-2015

All these shiny gadgets just mean something else you have to maintain and polish.

All a real sailor needs is a rusty old church key.

Just remember when it comes time to recycle the beer real sailors know:
- Don't pi$$ into the wind
- One hand for the ship and one hand for yourself

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

post #14 of 22 Old 08-15-2015
HANUMAN

Obviously you need to continue your research. True results come after a run of thousands, even tens of thousands.

In fact, I would attack it like a more complicated problem of probabilities. It could take millions of calculations before coming to a realistic conclusion.

I'll volunteer to help by using a standard opener to act as a control in your study. I drank several Corona's over the afternoon on Wed. I used the opener on my multitool. The multi tool is a high quality Victorinox. As the evening wore on it seemed to be leaking hydraulic fluid as it became slippery, I also experienced frequent urination that I attribute to an allergic reaction to the metals in the tool itself. Eventually I switched to Angel's Envy Port Barrel Finished Bourbon, but it was too late. The damage was done.

I also seemed to have a mild headache the next morning, along with a strange groggy feeling that I attribute to some metal toxins in the knife of the multi tool that I used to cut the limes for the Coronas.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #15 of 22 Old 08-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
All a real sailor needs is a rusty old church key.

For climbers, an old-style carabiner (not wire gate). Always at hand.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #16 of 22 Old 08-15-2015 Thread Starter

Good to hear Rob. I'm working on those millions, one bottle at a time. The field testing might have to be carried out in a warmer environment, possibly the Caribbean after I'm done outfitting. I have noted with certainty that it's not good to open Grolsch bottles. That was a discovery late one night during field testing.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-15-2015

Personally, I am waiting for the VINO opener, so I can continue my quest to say I have drank a "buttload" of vino.....

For those not in the relm of this, a "BUTTload" of vino is 128 gals, or 475 liters or somewhere near there abouts. should probably relook up the actual figures from a decade or two ago......

With that in mind, need to go open another bottle thank you very much!

I prefer beer with the openers that Smackers showed!

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #18 of 22 Old 08-15-2015
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
Good to hear Rob. I'm working on those millions, one bottle at a time. The field testing might have to be carried out in a warmer environment, possibly the Caribbean after I'm done outfitting. I have noted with certainty that it's not good to open Grolsch bottles. That was a discovery late one night during field testing.
With luck I'm sailing over to Long Island next week for a few days. There is a brewery over there that sells growlers of beer. I'll test my opener on the growler...

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #19 of 22 Old 08-17-2015
Vendor

Guys, Thanks for the awesome feedback! Because of real sailors like yourselves who use our gear and provide useful suggestions, we are able to continuously improve our products!!

I don't know what the packaging department was thinking when they decided to not include instructions... and I guess we'll never know because I've now fired the whole team! But fear not, I have ordered the video department to create an instructional video (because really, who reads these days anyway - it's all about YouTube). Problem is, Casting keeps sending me pretty boys that are afraid of chipping a nail... if only I knew where to find some salty-dog, sailor-type guys that are willing to work for liquid $$. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, otherwise I may have to resort to using one of those random bikini girls that keep trying to invade my camera space when I'm shooting anchor tests at the beach.

Keep the comments coming. We at Mantus love hearing from our customers!

Greg
Mantus Anchors
smackdaddy, Andrew65 and Minnesail like this.

Anchor Purveyor
post #20 of 22 Old 08-17-2015
HANUMAN

Send me an opener and I'll put the instruction video on YouTube.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in