Mantus review - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 08-13-2015 Thread Starter

Mantus review

The other day I received some equipment from the guys at Mantus. Note, I have no affiliation. I do have one of their anchors, yes, but this review isn't about their anchor. There are enough threads out there on them. I'm talking about the Mantus bottle opener. It was actually free for a clever begging campaign, so any negative comments on my part is rude, however, there are no perfect tools for boaters. The opener has its faults. The product came well packaged and in a timely fashion for an overseas delivery. After unwrapping the package, I could easily see that it's a beautiful design and fitted well in my hand. Storage would not be complicated which is an asset for any boat owner. It also had a clever loop for a chain to possibly be used as a cool bling bling necklace, but I digress. It worked very well for the first 6 beers or so, but as the evening's enjoyable extensive testing progressed, and interesting attempt to keep notes for this review, it became increasingly difficult to operate. Even though they weren't insurmountable, they were enough however to give me a powerful headache in the morning because I couldn't totally figure out the problem. It, for some reason, kept slipping off the bottle tops and wouldn't properly set. After 4 or 5 more beers(I think) it became useless to operate so I went to bed. The tests were inconclusive (actually I misplaced my notes), so it looks like I'll have to do further testing to retrace my steps again this evening. For now though, I am impressed overall with the design and would recommend it to fellow Sailnet members. Thank you Mantus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-13-2015
Banned

Re: Mantus review

Did the shank bend or do you think the bottle caps were growing progressively more rounded making proper setting impossible?

Problems like yours are why I refuse to go with the next-gen bottle openers. I too have a Mantus anchor and love it - but their new-fangled bottle openers just aren't reliable in the conditions you ran into.

That's why I have this tried-and-true, traditional version mounted on my foredeck...

I've never failed to get a good set with this baby, even in "gale force conditions" after a 24-pack. The motion of your bottle is all you have to worry about. The opener is firmly set taking away a lot of variables.
RTB, Andrew65 and Minnesail like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-13-2015 at 10:53 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-13-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Does Mantus have an easy to operate corkscrew?

Never mind. On my cruising budget, everything either has a pop-top, or twist-off cap. You guys with your fancy beer and scotch are out of my league. I've convince my wife that Chi-Chi's Margarita and Pina Colada (twist-off 1.75 liter plastic bottles) are better than those fancy wines she used to like. Now, we're a happy boat. Well, until I returned with an 8 pak of 16oz aluminum Budweiser bottles today. What were they thinking? You need an opener. WTF?

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RTB; 08-13-2015 at 07:32 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 08-13-2015 Thread Starter

They didn't get bent or get more rounded. They sorta became out of focus. I think operator error started to come into play. The tests are coming along though, but I haven't tried it coastal sailing. I'll do that first before I go offshore with it. I'll keep you posted.

Say Smack, that's a real nice tried and true opener you got there. Rugged and reliable. I like it. The guys at Mantus sent out 5 the other week who could properly beg for one. I was one of the lucky few. Can't beat free!

As for a twisted wine opener RTB, I think Rocna made some of them a while back that were farmed out to China to cut costs

Cheers,

You're only as young as the girl you feel - George Burns.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-13-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew65 View Post
They didn't get bent or get more rounded. They sorta became out of focus. I think operator error started to come into play.
Oh I doubt it's operator error. This kind of thing just happens too often to blame it on that.

One thing I always recommend is when buying a case of beer check EVERY bottle carefully to ensure that the cap ON EACH ONE is in focus. It's very common to find these out-of-focus caps only after you're well into the case.

Quote:
The tests are coming along though, but I haven't tried it coastal sailing. I'll do that first before I go offshore with it. I'll keep you posted.
More empirical data. That's what's needed. Thanks for your willingness to stick with the testing. Well done, sir.

Quote:
Say Smack, that's a real nice tried and true opener you got there. Rugged and reliable. I like it. The guys at Mantus sent out 5 the other week who could properly beg for one. I was one of the lucky few. Can't beat free!
Well, if there is beer left in bottles, "free" is not working out so well now is it?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-13-2015 at 10:54 PM.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-13-2015

You guys gotta get out more - been side cutters since I was a kid!

Gary
smackdaddy likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-13-2015
Banned

Now that's old school, trav...

post #8 of 22 Old 08-13-2015
Banned

I love this one...

Notice it's the chick opening the beer for her man. Oooohhhhhhh yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhh.

That's some Delta Plow right there.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-14-2015

Hey Andrew

Thanks for sharing this. Is it convex or concave? You did not mention if this is your primary, backup or storm. Since you are testing, I assume you probably forgot.
If it did not come with a instructions manual, please call customer service and inquire if the procedure you are using is correct.
Also, the material needs to be 100% marine or it would not stand up to the environment.
It would also be interesting to know if it works on any kind of bottle.
To be fair to us, please describe your testing lab and scope used, as results may vary.
smackdaddy likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 08-14-2015
Master Mariner

Have we become so old and conservative that we no longer use our teeth to open bottled beer?
Attached Thumbnails
teeth.jpg  
miatapaul likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in