State Registration (Again...) - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 08-26-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: State Registration (Again...)

Rich-
What you call a "sojourner's permit" certainly would not be recognized by anyone in Florida. The form those URLs link to says it is a "APPLICATION TO REGISTER NON-TITLED VESSELS", in other words, it is the Florida "snowbird" registration. No "sojourner" nothing.

Florida allows REGISTERED out of state MOTOR vessels to buy a second, overlapping, Florida registration, so that the boat will be registered in Florida without the burden of cancelling the primary registration and the extra burden of transferring the title.

But Florida's web sites, AFAIK, never refer to it as a "sojourner's" anything. It is simply a dual registration, without having to void or transfer the original paperwork and title. Which presumably the boat would be going back to when vacation season was over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 08-26-2015

HelloSailor, did you carefully read that link? pretty much self explanatory.
post #13 of 35 Old 08-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
The FLA 'sojourners permit' for keeping a 'foreign' state registered boat in Florida beyond the 90 day grace period is $125 per vessel...
No, it's not. Sorry, but that link you provided is just wrong. Read it carefully. Follow the links in there. What you will find is that the information is out of date, or just speculation. Several of the links in the article don't work at all, others take you to forms that are out of date. Better yet, check out the actual Florida statutes. What you will find is that the word "sojourner" doesn't appear anywhere. The state of Florida has nothing like a "sojourners permit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
For any state to force the secondary registration of any vessel already under federal documentation is contrary to US Federal Law (predominant sovereign) and is illegal.
No, I'm sorry, but once again you are mistaken. This time you need to check the Coast Guard website. It clearly says that a state CAN require you to register your boat, even if it is CG documented. What no state is allowed to do is require you to display state registration numbers on the bow of your documented boat. But they can still require you to register the boat.

There is so much misinformation out there about these subjects that it is hard not to get misled. If you go direct to the source--the state, or the Coast Guards, own website--instead of secondary sources (like the cruisersnet website) then you can usually find the authoritative information.

Last edited by denverd0n; 08-26-2015 at 03:31 PM.

post #14 of 35 Old 08-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Florida allows REGISTERED out of state MOTOR vessels to buy a second, overlapping, Florida registration, so that the boat will be registered in Florida without the burden of cancelling the primary registration and the extra burden of transferring the title.
Exactly correct.

Quote:
But Florida's web sites, AFAIK, never refer to it as a "sojourner's" anything.
Well... That kind of depends. Several of the county tax collectors websites do use the word "sojourner." Then they point you to the temporary registration for vessels not titled in Florida that you mentioned above. Within the Florida state statutes, though, you are absolutely correct that you WILL NOT find the word "sojourner" anywhere at all.
post #15 of 35 Old 08-26-2015

HS you need to read this http://www.paradiseyachtsales.net/wp...Sojourner1.pdf
the non titled form is used in this process
No such thing as Snowbird registration
http://www.taxcollector.com/contacta...498&category=3

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 08-26-2015 at 03:43 PM.
post #16 of 35 Old 08-26-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"Well... That kind of depends. Several of the county tax collectors websites do use the word "sojourner." " Right, that could be, but not the State DMV or the Florida Statutes, which is where one normally would go to check state-wide laws. AFAIK.

As to "snowbird" registration, I did put that in quotes for a purpose. Florida also used to have a "Snowbird" drivers' license until recently, they used that term in the license offices. It was a second dl, issued to snowbirds for internal use in the state of Florida only. Around 2012, the date of that web post, many state laws were changed and the "snowbird" licenses dropped in favor of just one "SecureID" compliant dl. Which got a LOT of people really incensed, as it required extra forms of identification and resulted in huge delays at offices issuing them. In contrast to other states which sometimes make SecureID optional when they offer it.

If you guys have a link to a State of Florida web site that is current (FL changes laws on Jan 1st and July 1st, twice yearly, iirc) and calls it a "sojourner" anything, I'll believe it. I've been known to misread like a dyslexic drunk trying to read the stock quotes while on the Space Mountain ride. Even got the pictures to prove it.(G)
post #17 of 35 Old 08-26-2015

Went to register my boat in Louisiana. Was told I would have to first have it undocumented with the Coast Guard. Sounds crazy to me. Are other states like this> Why?
post #18 of 35 Old 08-26-2015

Quote:
If you guys have a link to a State of Florida web site that is current (FL changes laws on Jan 1st and July 1st, twice yearly, iirc) and calls it a "sojourner" anything, I'll believe it. I've been known to misread like a dyslexic drunk trying to read the stock quotes while on the Space Mountain ride. Even got the pictures to prove it.(G)
Apparently just about every county tax collector in Florida knows about and has info on their websites about 'sojourners temporary registration fee', list the 'steps' ... and then redirects you to the FLA DMV
example: https://www.sarasotataxcollector.com...y-registration
I make the assumption that the non-titled verbiage means "non-titled" IN FLORIDA.

Make mine a single-malt. ;-)

Last edited by RichH; 08-26-2015 at 09:47 PM.
post #19 of 35 Old 08-26-2015
Once known as Hartley18

Dock

Perhaps you should move to Canada... I hear the sailing there is excellent!

-
A bad day on a boat beats a good day in the office
post #20 of 35 Old 08-26-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Sorry, Rich, that URL goes to Sarasota County. But give it up and I'll buy you a Cutty Sark. (G)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in