The Last Voyage of the 85 year-old Vollmer Twins - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-26-2015 Thread Starter
s/v Tiger Lily

The Last Voyage of the 85 year-old Vollmer Twins

These 85 year-olds are setting out to sail around the world on a 158-foot three masted ship. When they say final voyage, they really mean it.

The Last Voyage of the Vollmer Twins | Williamsburg-Greenpoint, NY Patch
mbianka likes this.

Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dvuyxx For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (08-26-2015), seaner97 (08-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-26-2015

Re: The Last Voyage of the 85 year-old Vollmer Twins

I was waiting until someone else posted this here. So many people have sent this to me because I live in their old neighborhood in Brooklyn.

I like how all their dreams hinge on the Venezuelan finance minister issuing more debt with a bond broker who promises to fork over his commission.
dvuyxx likes this.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-26-2015
Beyond The Pale

This sounds like a Mel Brooks Caper film, with Brooks playing the part of both nine-fingered Brothers, Gene Wilder as the Mysterious Felix the Financier, and the Twelve Tribes played by members of Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo.
Say, is anybody interested in buying shares in a Tallship?

ČErindipity
The Following User Says Thank You to Erindipity For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (08-26-2015)

post #4 of 27 Old 08-26-2015

Just two old romantics!..........Dale

Reluctant Lady
Cal 28, 1967
Lake Superior
Where God got it done!
post #5 of 27 Old 08-26-2015

Venezuelan bonds? You mean the financing deal with the Nigerian prince fell through?
TyTy and mbianka like this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-26-2015

I toured that ship when it was docked in Savannah, it's gorgeous. Good luck to the two brothers!
post #7 of 27 Old 08-27-2015
Captain Obvious

The entire article is based on an interview with these two old guys and an appearance by "Steven" at a tapas bar????

The amount of planning they are doing?? Have they thought about what other countries think of weapons on board, much less shooting someone, Clint Eastwood style?? How about a budget to run, maintain supply the voyage? Maybe he will just sign his name. Or getting a real captain? The crew will get one month training in Florida from these two guys and they are all set. Yup.
TyTy likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #8 of 27 Old 08-27-2015

If the brothers get one of them cute Asian mail order brides to be part of their crew (one should be plenty for both of them), they may get a chance to finance their trip through some reality TV deal. And they would not have to sail very long to make their wish come true.
Well, at least now you know what I would do if I was 85... except I would not get such a hard to handle boat.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #9 of 27 Old 08-27-2015
Above 5 knots

Dock

Stranger sh&t has been successful, my guess is the US will invade Venezuela before these guys see a dime though. Would it not have been easier for these guys to just join the crazy cult, and offer to crew/sail the boat? The youngens dont' want the boat, but you know they could join, get christened with these folks, crack the whip on the slave labor that helped maintain the boat, and then take it off on a voyage around the world, um converting the heretics.

Good to see they are thinking ahead, you know protecting the ship with a Faraday Cage from electronic warfare when the US and Russia open up both barrels of nukes... I think I've seen this plot-line on a bad Austin Powers take of a James Bond movie... and all it'll take is "one million dollars," sorry make that three, yep, must be corrected for inflation or something.

You see if they were out to purchase a 100 foot catamaran, people would call them crazy, but you know something more traditional looking, and all of a sudden it sounds "cute."

Perfect example of how they expect to treat the world... stiffing the restaurant owner on the bill.

God Bless them hucksters, I really hope they both get sailing on ANY boat hopefully in 30+ knot breeze and a full frontal chop of 8-10 ft waves. Perhaps it'll help them recognize that while they are perfectly willing to be fish food of themselves, they will also be essentially feeding their inexperienced crew to the fishes as well.

Shouldn't this be moved to the "Crew Wanted/Available" forum?
Maybe they can get a hold of Rimas, I think he'd be all in, you know once he's done circumnavigating the world in his San Juan.
Rainmaker skipper/crew might be looking for work.
dvuyxx and Minnesail like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #10 of 27 Old 08-27-2015 Thread Starter
s/v Tiger Lily

On some level, you have to accept the story for what it is ... two dreamers trying to do what people half their age wouldn't even contemplate. Sure their plan has a few questionable elements.

Given their short time table, they should follow recent trends and have someone set up a crowd-funding page. Their story is compelling enough that they should raise a heap of money in short time. You know, in the off chance that the Venezuelan bond trading thing doesn't work out.

Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily

Tags
brooklyn , circumnavigation , elderly , retirement , vollmer

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in