Looking for some opinions on our shortlist of boats! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Looking for some opinions on our shortlist of boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
In your neck of the world C&C 36 or 38 would be something to keep an eye out for. The keel/CB model would be great for poking around the ICW.

Also the CS 36, though that's 6'5" fin and the reason we walked away from a well kept honey that was on Ontario.
Thanks Delirious. We've seen quite a few C&C's for sale out this way, but we're not hugely sold on them due to the layout of accommodations below. I think a must have is a two cabin design, the more the wife and I look at it, and on C&C's, there is no aft cabin, just an open quarter birth, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaM View Post
At $20k I'd look at the Tartan 33 in Halifax. Even just to get a feeling for the difference in size between that and your Tanzer. Then look at a few around 36 & 40, even if the draft is too deep or whatever. Then talk yourself back down from 40 if you can. Really consider if you need that 3rd aft cabin or if it's something else in those layouts that you want.
Christina, I'm definitely with you here. The more my wife and I think about it, the less I think we would need a third aft cabin. I'm very much for a smaller boat for a plethora of reasons. (Cost, ease of handling, to list a few.)

On our Cape Breton trip, we convoyed with friends who have a Hunter 37, and they graciously shared their boat with us while at anchor, allowing us to maintain our sanity. We know that we need more space than we have presently, but I'm not sure a traditionally designed 34' boat would have enough? As for non-traditional, there's a reason the Tanzer 10.5 is on the list. At about 34' in length, the layout is amazing. Quasi-center cockpit, pilothouse boat with an aft cabin, and bunk beds forward. It's the smallest boat I've seen that looks like it could meet our needs. (and as an added bonus, it's not even ugly, IMO!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Take a good look at this boat: 1974 Kaiser Gale Force-Motivated Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
You can take it down ICW or to Australia. Lots of valuable equipment and incredibly seaworthy and practical design.
She's definitely a beautiful boat! But at only one dedicated birth (not even a quarterbirth onboard!) it won't pass the wife test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
Not to burst your bubble but you might want to hold off on your upgrade until you see how well you deal with having an older child aboard and how well your son takes to sailing as he gets older before jumping into the $100K boat.
I don't disagree! Don't worry, no bubbles burst. I suppose I should've put a time frame on here. We likely will not purchase a larger boat for the next two or three years. The purpose of this endeavor is to set some goalposts by picking the boat that will suit us. Then we can keep our eyes open for a good deal, maybe find an owner to chat with or go sailing with, and learn as much as we can, before taking the plunge. As for laundry for little ones, you might appreciate the attached photo! We used cloth diapers for about half the trip, till the weather no longer cooperated. The port side lifeline is covered with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
I know some will disagree, but my preference is to own the boat that meets my needs on the 0-5 year time horizon and not to buy something for a “maybe someday” kind of plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious View Post
...I must say the boat I'd want for the ICW is a much different boat than I'd want to take to Australia. You need to list and prioritize the weekend vs. weeks long w/stops vs. passage-making needs of you and THEN find the sailboat that fits.
I agree! It would be *nice* to get something tough and renowned for ocean crossing ability, but that is not in the 0-5 year plan (even if the purchase date is 3 years from now, we won't be crossing any oceans in those first five years we have with the boat.) I would not rule out a boat because it would not be desirable to take to Australia. We've got a lot of baby steps between now and that hypothetical trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
You seem to have priorities that conflict or at least make it difficult to find one boat that works. If you really want decent performance then something like a J37c makes sense (5' draft). They are much more expensive than many of the boats on your list, but well under $100k.
I think I could clarify by saying I don't want a boat that will not sail upwind, or in other words, I want something that will point as high as my Tanzer 8.5 or my old Tanzer 22. (I really should branch out here, too much tanzer experience...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I do think three cabins is kind of pushing it even in a 40 footer. I would rather have something with a big aft cabin than two small aft cabins. Would rather throw the kids in a V-birth and sleep in an "owners aft." But if you really want three cabins look for a boat out of charter, as they tend to have lots of cabins. I have seen some nice Beneteau First series with two aft cabins. Jeanneau makes some really nice boats with separate aft cabins.
I think we found a Jenneau or two which looked good with regards to layout, but they seem less common on the east coast...

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions. They've been very helpful so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 08-30-2015

At the higher end of your budget/length spectrum, C&C 37/39+ Plus. Best sailing boat mentioned so far, best interior layout C&C ever made IMHO, and they even came with a sub 6' wing keel that isn't a total crab catcher.

There are three different models on the same hull, the R & XL were racers, the Plus models had the cruiser interior, even a separate shower stall. A couple have even sailed to Australia
post #23 of 30 Old 08-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf0220 View Post
At the higher end of your budget/length spectrum, C&C 37/39+ Plus. Best sailing boat mentioned so far, best interior layout C&C ever made IMHO, and they even came with a sub 6' wing keel that isn't a total crab catcher.

There are three different models on the same hull, the R & XL were racers, the Plus models had the cruiser interior, even a separate shower stall. A couple have even sailed to Australia
I've always liked the look of the 37+, but I don't know how anyone lives with that sort of companionway on a cruising boat... That would definitely be a deal-breaker, for me, and I would think it could also constitute a real hazard for anyone cruising with young children aboard...

Consider the gymnastics it might require simply to pass a mug of hot chocolate up to the helmsperson, without dumping it...

;-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 08-30-2015 at 01:10 PM.

post #24 of 30 Old 08-30-2015

Hey,

Before you go any further, you need to determine your REALISTIC budget. Make sure you understand how much mooring, dockage, haulout costs, etc will cost as well.

The market for 30-50K boats is very different than the market for 50-75, or 75-100K boats.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 30 Old 08-30-2015

Pretty hard to predict what prices will be that far out
post #26 of 30 Old 08-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I've always liked the look of the 37+, but I don't know how anyone lives with that sort of companionway on a cruising boat... That would definitely be a deal-breaker, for me, and I would think it could also constitute a real hazard for anyone cruising with young children aboard...

Consider the gymnastics it might require simply to pass a mug of hot chocolate up to the helmsperson, without dumping it...

;-)

That's what the ports from the aft cabin to the cockpit is for :P

The steps aren't THAT steep (they're still steps, not a ladder) and if you're worried about the crotch fruit wandering around you could always lock them in the shower. Easy enough to hose down later too, win-win!
aeaston likes this.
post #27 of 30 Old 08-31-2015 Thread Starter

Wow, hadn't realised they had this type of layout on C&C.

There's even one in Nova Scotia we could look at, which we might have to arrange, just to get an idea, for science, you know.

Looks pretty nice in photos!

Thanks!
post #28 of 30 Old 08-31-2015
I can't re Member

I owned a Tanzer 10.5 for a few years. She was a great sailing boat and perfect for the PNW coast (Vancouver Island and north). Needs a bit of wind to get going but has a long enough water line to provide good speed. Extremely well laid out for a couple with one or two kids. Head and galley right at the bottom of the companionway, rear cabin was nice and provided a great sundeck above. However, not the boat I would recommend for your plans, the things that made it perfect for the north; pilot house, lots of natural light, etc. will be cooking you once you head south. You'll need to install A/C and use it. A lot.

I found I very seldom used the inside helm even though the bulk of my sailing was during winter, so for fair weather sailing, even stormy weather, I'd prefer not to have the extra complexities. Snow and slush made the inside helm and Espar heater handy but, once again, you're heading south.

Really did like that boat though.

goat
Attached Thumbnails
Main.JPG   Underway.jpg  
post #29 of 30 Old 08-31-2015 Thread Starter

Goat, looks like she was quite the boat. I'm guessing the in-mast furling was an addition, and not a factory option?

I hadn't given too much thought to the pilothouse serving as a sweltering greenhouse in the tropics, but that's why I ask these questions. Thanks!

We're going to go take a look at a couple of C&C 38 landfalls in the area, get a feel for what those would be like.
post #30 of 30 Old 08-31-2015
I can't re Member

Came from the factory with in-mast. Made sailing like hitting the 'easy' button at Staples. Though it was one of most hated boat in the marina because of it, when the wind blew just right she'd howl like a banshee. Fine at anchor as the wind wouldn't blow crosswise. Apparently there's "anti flute" device you can pull up the mast in the slot to stop it, but if I was sleeping on the boat it was anchored. Show's my level of compassion doesn't it? :^)

goat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in