Examples of cca era sailboats - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 Old 12-12-2015
Senior Moment Member

Re: Examples of cca era sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
You know, I think the IOR gets a lot of undeserved criticism. The rule went through a lot of evolution over the course of some 20 years, and it's hard to characterize every IOR boat as dangerous or unseaworthy. I like my IOR boat (First 375) just fine, and I bet Swan 38 owners like theirs, too. The Fastnet disaster was as much about a bunch of weekend warriors taking off on a 600 mile ocean race, at a time when weather prediction, offshore communication, and offshore race equipment requirements weren't what they are now, as it was about boat design. There absolutely were some design freaks, and some lightly built race boats that probably didn't belong offshore, but I don't think that is solely restricted to the IOR. I believe the rule eventually died out because owners were getting tired of the new-boat-every-year arms race in a struggling economy, not because of the sailing characteristics of the boats. IOR revival regattas are starting to become pretty popular, although I have to admit that boat design has advanced quite a bit in the ensuing years, and current boats will generally sail circles around similarly sized IOR boats.
All that being said, one of the boats I have always admired, at least for looks, is the Morgan 34.
Absolutely correct. Just the number of abandoned boats that were later found afloat tells a story.

I doubt that a comparable fleet of CCA boats would have fared any better.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
The Following User Says Thank You to SloopJonB For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (12-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 Old 12-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfprof View Post
That boat looks very familiar, was the previous owners name Rawson?
No, I bought the boat from Newport, RI where it was mostly moored for the 27 years. I currently moor in LI, maybe you saw it there?
post #23 of 34 Old 12-12-2015
Remember you're a womble

IIRC, in the Fastnet disaster none of the cutting edge extreme IOR boats were abandoned/lost, so to blame IOR design is a bit of a slur on the era. I loved seeing IOR boats sporting their suite of whacky bloopers and other weird and wonderful (but ultimately probably useless) sails.

RobGallagher and TomMaine like this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 34 Old 12-13-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Fastnet just got people to look at the rule. It became apparent that the rule was forcing boats to become less seaworthy and less controllable in heavy weather.
post #25 of 34 Old 12-13-2015

If you like the Bristol 27 and other "inspired" boats, here's a pic of my 1966 Tartan 27, which I still think is inspiring!

She was built as a racer and had good, if brief, success in the early 60s.

Skywalker

Examples of cca era sailboats-img_1011.jpg
TomMaine likes this.
post #26 of 34 Old 12-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
No, I bought the boat from Newport, RI where it was mostly moored for the 27 years. I currently moor in LI, maybe you saw it there?
The last time I saw her, it was tied to a mooring off Strongs Neck in Port Jefferson Harbor early 1990's The boats name was Aurora. Thanks for the reply.
post #27 of 34 Old 12-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
Fastnet just got people to look at the rule. It became apparent that the rule was forcing boats to become less seaworthy and less controllable in heavy weather.
From what I remember reading in a "Fastnet" book, comfort was a big issue. Crew wanted off the boats because the motion was so bad. The boats survived fine but the crew could not take the "ride".
post #28 of 34 Old 12-13-2015

Here's another example, the Block Island 40. This one sailing in light air nicely. Long ends, even longer than than on my boat.

I find the hobby horsing under sail of my boat to be a myth. Any sort of poor motion is the result of the wrong sail trim or sailing angle.

In other words, if your boat is behaving poorly 'you're' doing something wrong. Fix it.

However, under power into a rough seaway, longer overhangs may exacerbate the poor motion problem(is any boat-foot for foot- smooth in those conditions?). At any rate, I avoid that as much as possible by sailing instead or at least adjusting course.

Long overhangs were pushed way beyond most of these boats by attempts to beat rating rules. Here's what I would define as extreme:

post #29 of 34 Old 12-13-2015
As eccentric as my boat

I'd nominate the Pearson Wanderer as one of the better boats of the CCA era. Roomier than some others of the size and very well behaved. She still has all the issues of other Pearsons of the era (poor hull to deck joint being the most serious) but I love my Wanderer and would take her anywhere once I figure out how to strengthen the aforementioned joint. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, she possesses one of the prettiest hulls ever designed. A perfect combination of grace and strength.
Attached Thumbnails
10366100_10204125957256105_3926188736171905005_n.jpg  
post #30 of 34 Old 12-13-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfprof View Post
The last time I saw her, it was tied to a mooring off Strongs Neck in Port Jefferson Harbor early 1990's The boats name was Aurora. Thanks for the reply.
You've got a good eyes. It's the same boat, still named Aurora. The last owner lived in Newport but was a traveler and knew Long Island well. He actually bought the bought in Huntington about 30 years ago, I don't remember who he bought it from or what it was named at that time. I bought the boat 3 years ago after the last owners health caused him to let it go.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in