Examples of cca era sailboats - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter

Examples of cca era sailboats

On another recent thread about cca era boats and refurbishing them
I realized that not all boats from that era were true "rule beaters" but shared some outward appearances with them. So for the members who have more knowledge than I on the subject( not hard to do) what are some examples of true cca boats that were built to take advantage of the rules? Production boats mainly, the ones I, or others might see on the water. Personally I love the long overhangs and low freeboard of the classic designs and will dinghy around a boat like that in the mooring fields like a eight year old staring at his first contraband playboy.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-30-2015

Re: Examples of cca era sailboats

I had no idea of CCA boats , I mean I did but I had never heard the term CCA in till that other thread . I have been looking at them the past few days , and there is much discussion on sailing characteristics. Although everyone seems to agree they look good .
Great CCA Boat Designs
post #3 of 34 Old 08-30-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for that link, those are some beautiful lines on those boats!
seaner97 and Markwesti like this.

post #4 of 34 Old 08-30-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

My old 1967 A35.
Attached Thumbnails
0319150950-00.jpg  
Markwesti likes this.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-30-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

Sparkman & Stephens Finisterre, designed in 1956 was the archetypal rule beater. Most of the ketch rigs with significant overhangs from that era were CCA boats as the rule penalized the main, but not the head sails or mizzensail. Most boats from the 50s and 60s were at least influenced by the rule- hence my other thread referring to them that way.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #6 of 34 Old 08-30-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

The Peason 35, Bristol 34, Bristol35, Cal 40, Hinkley Bermuda 40, Allied Seabreeze 35 are a few. The era was the most prolific in history, so there are many more. The IOR came after and made some of the worst and most dangerous boats in history. It wasn't until the early 1990s that those design flaws finally ran their course and more seaworthy boats began emerging again. Say what you want about CCA era boats, but they didn't result in Fastnet type disasters.

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
post #7 of 34 Old 12-09-2015
it's a long story

Let's include the S&S CCA entry in the 29 foot family, The original Columbia from Glas Laminates in 1961. Yep, if you sail a "CCA" boat, you'll likely notice you are not the fastest boat, but you are fast enough; not a roomy boat, but roomy enough; low freeboard, but not the wettest boat. Yes she he heels a bit but comfortably so. But she has a silky sea-kindly motion that will have you arriving well-rested and ready for sunset cocktails in the anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1386.jpg   IMG_1392.jpg  

Don
1962 Columbia 29 hull #37
post #8 of 34 Old 12-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosdad View Post
On another recent thread about cca era boats and refurbishing them
I realized that not all boats from that era were true "rule beaters" but shared some outward appearances with them. So for the members who have more knowledge than I on the subject( not hard to do) what are some examples of true cca boats that were built to take advantage of the rules? Production boats mainly, the ones I, or others might see on the water. Personally I love the long overhangs and low freeboard of the classic designs and will dinghy around a boat like that in the mooring fields like a eight year old staring at his first contraband playboy.....
The Hinckley B40 is a good example you'll see on the water today. At this point, the design was as much about what was popular as actually beating the rule(which was no longer used). Like some have said, not a fast boat, not a slow boat, a good boat. That's proven: If a design is this popular 60 years on, it's a great boat!

How many boats look good in Pea Green?

The rules influence has long gone, still many of the boats of what we call the CCA era, are still popular.

Another Hinckley, the 35' Pilot. Looks good even on laundry day.

FIDELIO a sistership to FINESSTERRE did start a trend toward beamy, ample(not light-comfortable accomodations) centerboard boats(FINESSTERRE won 3 back to back Bermuda races), mostly yawls(a rating advantage). Several designs are connected.

Alden built the Challenger yawls, a peculiar(I say that with affection-I own one) mix of wood and glass. It wasn't my hat that got me into this calendar.

They don't make them anymore but many of the design elements that that defined the era, like graceful overhangs, lovely low sheerlines, wide decks-to name a few, will not go away.

Faster and seabeau like this.
post #9 of 34 Old 12-09-2015
Barquito

Quote:
Rating= .95(L+B+D+P+S+F-I+A+C) * Propeller Factor * R Factor
Where:
L = 30% of the LWL + 70% of the length at 4% Water Line Plane
B = Average Beam over several points
D = Draft (with additions and corrections)
P = Cube root of the yacht's displacement with corrections
S = Square root of the sail area, with corrections
F = Average Freeboard, with corrections
I = a credit, if you have an iron keel
A = a correction for bow overhang
C = a correction for stern overhang
The propeller factor is based on folding, non folding, on or off centerline, etc.
R = a factor relating to the ballast/displacement ratio.
Hmmm... what an inspired equation. Notice the beautiful overhang of the R factor, balanced by the curving sheer of the .95 ratio... beautiful.

Valiant 32
The Following User Says Thank You to Barquito For This Useful Post:
SkywalkerII (12-10-2015)
post #10 of 34 Old 12-09-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
They don't make them anymore but many of the design elements that that defined the era, like graceful overhangs, lovely low sheerlines, wide decks-to name a few, will not go away.

Actually, Arabesque is a recently built boat.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in