SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Need Passage Routing Advice-San Diego to Seattle (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/217842-need-passage-routing-advice-san-diego-seattle.html)

CheckedOutRob 09-04-2015 09:37 PM

Need Passage Routing Advice-San Diego to Seattle

Would really appreciate some advice from someone who has sailed this route before. We are departing San Diego for Seattle WA this Sept. 13th.
I've done my due diligence with pilot charts and route planning but what would be really valuable to us is some anecdotal advice from any sailors who've bashed north on this route. Please don't tell me about going to weather for two+ weeks. I know about all that. In fact, my racing background predisposes me going to weather and pretending I like it!

We are delivering a well found Mason 43 to the Seattle area. I'm a world sailing veteran/sailmaker. I've asked around my network of buddies but no one has done this route. We will of course be very strategic about wind and currents determining our route.

Everybody I mention this to says " go the Hawaii route and sail downwind the entire way". Yeah, sure -that's possible but triples the route and time...

Thanks in advance!

davidpm 09-04-2015 09:51 PM

Re: Need Passage Routing Advice-San Diego to Seattle

I haven't checked yet by maybe Jimmy has something to say.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Cruising-Routes-Jimmy-Cornell/dp/0957262647

CheckedOutRob 09-04-2015 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckedOutRob (Post 3010154)
I've done my due diligence with pilot charts and route planning but what would be really valuable to us is some anecdotal advice from any sailors who've bashed north on this route.

Per. my original post. Um. -I'm looking for folks who've done the route.
I have ALL of Jimmy books BTW. God bless Jimmy.

Actual "hey we did this last year" is of more value than just about anything. El Nino and weather patterns that defy books make anecdotal advice pertinent. I'm just gathering all the info I can. Just as I fly aircraft and am obliged (by law) to gather all pertinent information related to the flight.

capta 09-05-2015 12:52 AM

A Hawaiian vacation may be in your future. It is quite a bit longer, but a lot easier sail.

aeventyr60 09-05-2015 08:02 AM

Your just going to pound into it pretty much the entire way...Not sure of your world sailing veteran status if can't understand this...

vega1860 09-05-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 3010482)
A Hawaiian vacation may be in your future. It is quite a bit longer, but a lot easier sail.

Starting in San Diego for Seattle I would certainly go by way of Hawaii. The prevailing winds along the coast mean it would be a beat all the way in some very challenging conditions. Going by way of Hawaii means running and reaching all the way. Of course you may occasionally encounter contrary winds but, on the whole, it will be a much more pleasant trip. If you time it right, it would not even take that much longer.

capttb 09-05-2015 12:50 PM

I've only gone up as far as San Francisco, I've used the Pacific Coast Route Finder charts, there's also some Charlies cruising guides available but seem more appropriate for down coast routes. For a delivery, probable best to use "off shore" route or maybe even further off. During Santa Ana winds or something that shifts winds to the North you can get some decent tacking angles. Otherwise your course has so much West in it that your almost dead into the prevailing westerlys. You can plan on about 1.5 kts. current down coast, during a storm or high winds the surface current can be 3-4 knots. There's some eddys behind the big points but you'll probably to far out. It'll be hard to estimate a schedule, are you planning re-supply stop ? You'll want a good crew.
Pacific Coast Route Planning Map, South

hannah2 09-05-2015 01:24 PM

I think the most important thing to observe at this time of year is that the Pacific high is still out there a lot of the time. Combine that with a trough over the land which happens often and you will get bright sunny skies and 30 knots of northerlies. If you check out passage weather for the next couple of days, ( Sept. 5 through the 8th you will see exactly what I'm writing about. Over Southern Oregon and Northern California there is a 1014 trough and a pacific high off the coast. The high is filling in the lower trough (Squash zone) increasing the northerly winds from Brookings just about to SF. Seas will be moderate at 3 to 4 meters. The trough is usually created at this time of year and through the summer by heat over the mainland. This trough or low may be a weak low over N.E California. Winds and seas are usually strong from just off the coast to 70 or 80 miles out but that is not always the case. Looking at the pressure differences you can see a bend in the isobars that are close to N. California. That can make for more wind than predicted and gusty at times.

We used to own a Mason 44 so I know you have a well founded vessel but I would read your marine weather well and be ready to pull into a port before you can't and get all banged up going to weather.

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Cheers

Steve
SV RC LOUISE
Boreal 44

vega1860 09-05-2015 03:08 PM

We have never tried the coastal route going North but on our way South in September of 2010 we encountered two other cruisers heading the opposite direction who gave up and left their boats in Eureka rather than continue up the coast that year. Don't underestimate the conditions North of San Francisco. It is not just uncomfortable this late in the season. It is dangerous.

The only port of refuge up there is Crescent City and it is, or was, a crappy harbor. Every other port has a dangerous or difficult bar to cross and you may not be able to get in at all between CC and Neah Bay. Neah bay can be tricky too in bad weather.

From Cape Flattery on the only problem is the heavy commercial traffic and the fog.

CheckedOutRob 09-06-2015 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeventyr60 (Post 3010746)
Your just going to pound into it pretty much the entire way...Not sure of your world sailing veteran status if can't understand this...

GO. AWAY. TROLL. ...See all the intelligent peoples replies?