Bridge Openings - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 09-07-2015

Re: Bridge Openings

OH... By all means please call the bridge! I didn't intend to give bad advice here.. I mentioned what I "typically" do.

I've been going in and out of the same two bridges with "Scheduled openings" on a regular basis for 20 years, transiting with other vessels that know each other. We know the operators by name. We tend not to all call them and make them respond to each of us, unless we feel it's necessary. What we will do is communicate with each other as to who enters or exits 1st depending on current and what side we want to pass.( a depth thing) One person might let the bridge operator know how many of us have gathered there, and the last one through will turn out the lights.

When I'm away, I'll always call a bridge. The regs don't require an operator to respond to each vessel that calls, if the bridge is on a scheduled opening, though most of them will. Some log each boat, some don't. When in Rome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-07-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

I've always wondered why sometimes bridges ask for id and sometimes not. Seems to be random.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-07-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
I've always wondered why sometimes bridges ask for id and sometimes not. Seems to be random.
Murph, I honestly don't know, but I think I'll ask. Every once in awhile I hear them ask another boat to repeat their name. One year it did seem like they were logging for a couple of weeks. ( maybe a traffic study). Maybe they just count heads, or maybe it's that they know most of our boats by name anyway. For the most part the Tenders are pretty good. They see the traffic.

More of an issue from time to time, are vessels not communicating with each other. Only one boat fits through at a time, there can be a 2 to 3 knot current running with depth challenges for some. People need to coordinate their transit.

So the real question is, once you get an opening, and you have 5 boats waiting on each side of the bridge how do you determine who goes 1st. It's a general courtesy to allow vessels with the current to proceed 1st, But it's often ignored. So it's not good to assume.

In my experience, it's good to communicate with the other vessels in addition to the tender, either by radio or hand signals, to avoid confusion.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-07-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Murph, I honestly don't know, but I think I'll ask. Every once in awhile I hear them ask another boat to repeat their name. One year it did seem like they were logging for a couple of weeks. ( maybe a traffic study). Maybe they just count heads, or maybe it's that they know most of our boats by name anyway. For the most part the Tenders are pretty good. They see the traffic.

More of an issue from time to time, are vessels not communicating with each other. Only one boat fits through at a time, there can be a 2 to 3 knot current running with depth challenges for some. People need to coordinate their transit.

So the real question is, once you get an opening, and you have 5 boats waiting on each side of the bridge how do you determine who goes 1st. It's a general courtesy to allow vessels with the current to proceed 1st, But it's often ignored. So it's not good to assume.

In my experience, it's good to communicate with the other vessels in addition to the tender, either by radio or hand signals, to avoid confusion.
So right. Not only do most other boats not know the with-the-current rule, they cannot be counted on to know even the simplest nav rules. It's almost like riding a motorcycle where you have to assume the other guy is going to do the most idiotic thing possible.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
----- Every once in awhile I hear them ask another boat to repeat their name. -----
Lol. When occasionally asked about appropriate boat names I like to tell folks to visualize themselves responding to a south Georgia bridgetender asking for the third time "What did you say that name was?"
Overly complicated/hard to pronounce boat names can be a pita.
Tempest and CVAT like this.

Sail Fast Live Slow
36' Solaris Sunstar catamaran
post #16 of 17 Old 09-08-2015

Talking Re: Bridge Openings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Lol. When occasionally asked about appropriate boat names I like to tell folks to visualize themselves responding to a south Georgia bridgetender asking for the third time "What did you say that name was?"
Overly complicated/hard to pronounce boat names can be a pita.
Living in the south it would probably need some interpretation of your own as it would probably sound like
"wud didja say da name was(or were)?" followed by a "cuouldja spelt it for me"..not picking on my fellow southerners but some times you have to laugh at the way people torture the language...

Thomas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Use your head for something other than a hat rest.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-08-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Although I am not responsible for the name of my boat (never changed it), I'm convinced it was named specifically to confuse bridge operators--Philyria:-)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in