Choosing a Domestic Sewing Machine - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 09-10-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Choosing a Domestic Sewing Machine

Opinions certainly vary with regard to the capabilities of the old, all metal machines. They can't do the work of a true industrial machine, but for the low purchase price and reliability, it's worth considering the work the can do.

For those who doubt their ability to sew Sunbrella, here's an example of one of my machines having a go at some Sunbrella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXoRcQ7RVZ4

note: I will update the original post with this link.
mbianka likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 09-11-2015
You really are funny!!

111W-155

/thread.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-11-2015

Great write-up Siamese, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
My experience is that any work with Sunbrella (I have a lot of covers) is really a struggle without a walking foot. As soon as you get to more than a couple of layers, you start to struggle without. The biggest enemy is that binding material. Even the Sailrite can struggle with that stuff, any kind of domestic machine without a walking foot, forget it.
I've thrown everything at my Pfaff 230, including leather and StrataGlass .060. Here's an identical model sewing 14 layers of canvas binding. For not being a walking foot model, the Pfaff 230 is an incredible workhorse.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35

post #14 of 30 Old 09-11-2015 Thread Starter

You bet, the Pfaffs are great machines. I'd like to add one to my modest collection if I can snag one for the right price and would not hesitate to recommend one to anyone doing projects like I described in my post. Probably the only downside to the Pfaff is the price they tend to command in the marketplace.

Hope I didn't "dis" the Pfaff at all in my writeup. 'Just keeping it simple and inexpensive for those considering an older machine.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
..Hope I didn't "dis" the Pfaff at all in my writeup. 'Just keeping it simple and inexpensive for those considering an older machine.
Nah. But you're right, the Pfaffs tend to fetch a bit more. If you have a bit of patients, you can find them on Craiglist for >$200. I picked mine up for $125.

Synthetic Rigged Wauquiez Pretorien 35
post #16 of 30 Old 09-12-2015

Way too many words . . . sorry. I fell asleep after the part about . . . well, I forget, I was asleep. But to add my 3 cents. We just completed a mainsail kit from Sailrite. Our circa 1980 Singer did wonders, sewing through up to 10 layers of crisp, new Dacron with basting tape or industrial adhesives (at clew, tack & reef points) and only started complaining at 8. Plus it has a 4-point zigzag stitch for added mojo. One can be picked up for probably $50.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-20-2017

Curious where you are located, Siamese. Your article really sounds like your might have bought your machine from me. I'm in Grand Rapids, MI.

Cheryl Reed
post #18 of 30 Old 11-19-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewvintage View Post
Curious where you are located, Siamese. Your article really sounds like your might have bought your machine from me. I'm in Grand Rapids, MI.

Cheryl Reed
Muskegon. Yes, I got the Stitch Queen from you. First I got from you was a Pfaff 18, which I sold, but I still have the Stitch Queen. Bought, refurbed, and sold many Singer 401's, 500's, 201's, etc., but now pretty much just Japanese machines. Recently got a Sewmor, badged as a Bel Air that's a Model 66 clone. Should be nice when it's done. I don't buy and sell on purpose, just look for machines to keep and then find myself with too many. I keep it down to about eight machines. I use them all, but if I have a "go to" machine it's my Kenmore 158.1802. Great machine. You had told me about Kenmore's, and I didn't really get it until I refurbed one and used it. Sears wasn't messing around.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-20-2018

Siamese, First let me say Thanks! for starting this thread. It got me to try sewing and I'm enjoying. I bought the first Kenmore 158 I found on CL. It's a 12272. It seems to sew ok, but it has some issues with the bobbin. The hook moves out of place when putting the bobbin in(I have to take it apart and put it back together), then it has a hard time picking up the bobbin thread. So I've found some others for sale cheap. Are worth checking out?

Wards Signature model UHT J276D.

Singer model 774. Comes with carry bag and manuals.

Singer model 237 with a nice cabinet. The holder for the thread is missing and the light isn't working. May just be the bulb.

Kenmore model 158.17570 with cabinet. Cabinet has a knee switch instead of a foot switch. It also comes with an Accessories, Buttonholer and Pattern Cams kit, instructions manual and additional buttonholer.

TIA,
Lew

Chrysler Buccaneer 18

If you want to save the world...eat farm-raised oysters!

“Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Wallace
post #20 of 30 Old 01-20-2018

Lew, sounds like you simply need to replace the hook in your machine. They are a normal wear item and are replaceable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lazerbrains For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (01-21-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in