Depth Sounder Offset - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 09-15-2015
Master Mariner

Re: Depth Sounder Offset

I've done that several times and gone back to removing the offset.
If you use your depth sounder for navigation, comparing it to the charts, an offset can be really confusing.
It's certainly easy enough to re-calibrate, so give it a try, but keep in mind your depth finder won't gybe with the charts once you've added an offset.
rnixon likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-15-2015

There are two reasons that you might want to read the true depth of water:
1. To compare with charted depths, adjusted for tide. This is useful for confirming your position and for following depth contours;
2. Anchor scope calculations (you also need to add the freeboard) - although it doesn't need to be that precise.

You may be able to calculate the true depth, e.g. if you set your offset to read the depth below the (lowest) keel. You will not be able to if you don't know the depth of the transducer.

Roger
ChristinaM likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
It's certainly easy enough to re-calibrate, so give it a try, but keep in mind your depth finder won't gybe with the charts once you've added an offset.

There's only ONE time that a DS will agree with a chart anyway. When the tide is at MLW or MLLW depending on the chart datum.

One is ALWAYS required to do some math at ALL OTHER TIMES.

And don't forget, the bottom usually slopes, right? So all those nice fuzzy lines on the charts with numbers on them are merely RELATIVE and you're usually between the lines anyway.

I understand navigating with depth contours quite well, and have used it often. Yes, one MUST know the height of the tide and make those3 corrections. But please remember, those depths were charted years, decades and sometimes even eons ago.

That's why all navigation courses carefully note that navigation/piloting should use as many different methods for determining position as possible.

I have two areas of skinny water I encounter regularly. For both, I have determined over the years what the tide height MUST BE for me to transit those two spots. Think of it as a DS reading done backwards!

So, as long as YOU decide what YOU like and what works for YOU, have at it.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Last edited by Stu Jackson; 09-15-2015 at 07:54 PM.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-15-2015
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There's only ONE time that a DS will agree with a chart anyway. When the tide is at MLW or MLLW depending on the chart datum.
Ah, you cold water, big tide sailors just don't get it. I believe it was +0.1 foot today on datum, or thereabouts (who checks?).
As they used to say, "Come on down..." and win the prize (your hair will not fall out from worry). lol
Now Darwin or The NE Queensland coast; there's a tide of a way different range.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #15 of 16 Old 09-16-2015

Personally I set my offset to read what's under the keel and set the depth alarm for 2 feet so I'll slow my approach as I often explore 'Gunk Holes' in the Chesapeake.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-16-2015

To avoid running aground, key is knowing the measured depth beneath your keel. That you know it is the important point, not how you know it.

You can't know it without knowing the offset. It can be zero, or some value, but if you know how your sounder is set up, you can figure it out.

Whatever best assists you in doing that is the right setting.

Having "grown up" in the Navy with fathometers that are set to indicate soundings (depth beneath the keel), and with using "yellow" (caution) and "red" (danger) SOUNDINGS that are established based on MINIMUM EXPECTED SOUNDINGS (not water depth) beneath the keel, my sounder is set to indicate depth beneath the keel.

That's what I am comfortable with. YMMV.

The web makes everywhere the same place. - Fred Reed, from "Fred on Everything"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in