Input on a vessel - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 09-17-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

That is a smoking deal on that Hinkley B40!
But might be a tad tight below for your crew specifications.

Last edited by seaner97; 09-17-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

In all honesty the crew size will vary, I'd like a vessel that can be singlehanded or rigged to do so but also be able to worked by a crew when the time calls for it. If veterans want to go for a liesure sail it has to be rigged to sail with 2 or less but also hold a crew of what I would like to be 4-6. If restraints force me to go smaller then that's what I have to do.
post #13 of 23 Old 09-17-2015
bell ringer

Re: Input on a vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
So I have a few interested individuals willing to back my sailing PTSD program and possibly invest in a vessel. For distance passages in multi conditions, blue water and northern elements year round, what vessels do you have experience with that would suit a crew of 5-6 in the 40 foot range? I'm more interested in robustness and simplicity in lieu of luxury. Once I leave port I want to be as self sufficient as possible.
I think you are WAY ahead of yourself.

Whats your sailing experience?

I believe if you are going need to have a Captains License.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 23 Old 09-17-2015
Master Mariner

Have you given any thought to the need for support personnel on a venture like this (doctor/shrink?) and the added cabin/provisions? You may be a very long way from help and it might be prudent to be prepared.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #15 of 23 Old 09-17-2015
Administrator

I would suggest a Peterson 44 as a default choice. They are usually plentiful on the marketplace. They are big enough to go anywhere with that many people, and they can be found in decent and almost ready to go condition within the upper edge of your price range. You would want to find one with glass (rather than teak) decks, and with the water tanks replaced. These boats sail very well, and often show up with all kinds of neat cruising gear such as wind steering vanes and wind gens. Be careful if the price seems too cheap since that usually means bad decks, shot engine, bad tanks, or shot sails.

They do have a few 'short comings, such as the passage from the main cabin to the aft cabin is quite cramped. Also the heads and galley are a little tight as well.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #16 of 23 Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Don. Thanks for telling me I'm ahead of myself. I'm 32 years old and started surfing and sailing at 2 years old. I've done 99.9 percent of my sailing solo since I was 16 years old. I've worked on many, many vessels from charter fishing to being the skipper of longline tuna, clam and lobster boats. I'm not an idiot, nor would I put my brothers in harms way. People have gone round the world in 28 ft open cockpit boats. If you think I'm "ahead of myself" that's fine. It's comments like that that make me strive harder. But, I guess being the captain of a 120 ft clam boat at the age of 22 makes me jump ahead of myself..
post #17 of 23 Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Capta, that's in the works as we speak. The goal of these voyages is to get veterans to not be dependent on doctors and to gain confidence and independance. That being said a SatPhone with a lifeline to any connections to the necessary professionals will be available. A few short film makers have been in contact with me that are interested in a documentary of our trials at sea if we are able to progress forward which I think will be amazing to show the world what we as disabled veterans are capable of.
post #18 of 23 Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

I meant to say that people have rounded the globe in 20 ft open cockpit vessels. I've never sailed small boats. The first boat I sailed was my fathers 28ft oday, then the 30 Pearson and downgraded into a 23 ft sailboat. If people think I'm foolish or under qualified then that is fine. Just keep in mind that a 16 year old Dutch girl sailed around the world eastbound. Whether people are for me or think I'm reckless that is their own prerogative, but I'm going to do as much as I can in the name of veterans that I possibly can. While I may start out with small voyages, I have my eyes set on showing the world that we aren't going to sit back and have people tell us "you can't". In my eyes, taking a crew of veterans to say the Bahamas is no different then the couple who retires and buys a boat with minimal experience and sails off to the tropics.
post #19 of 23 Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

And Don, I'm not being hired to run these voyages, this is out of the goodness of my heart and taking my time and my money to help veterans. If I were sailing charters, then yes, I would need a captains license. If my investors decide I need a 6 pack or greater, I have the logged sea time to go ahead and get the proper licensing to satisfy whom ever demands those credentials. I can prosody say that I'm most likely one of the few younger cruisers and captains who can use a sextant and successfully navigate celestially.
post #20 of 23 Old 09-18-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
Don. Thanks for telling me I'm ahead of myself.
You're welcome as all that experience doesn't appear to have been any help in you choosing a boat.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in