Input on a vessel - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Because I have a lot of options and I figured asking people first hand their experiences would be beneficial. I guess when people ask for opinions it means they are reckless and way ahead of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 Old 09-18-2015

Re: Input on a vessel

Otter,
I think what you're doing is a cool idea.

Two thoughts. I don't know anyone doing longer sails, but there are folks who are doing day sails for vets. It might be a good idea to reach out to them and see what there experiences have been. It may help with ideas and things you might not have thought about.

Also would it be a good idea to reach out to an organization like CRAB (Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating)? They're a non-profit Sailing program for persons with disabilities and their families. While it's a different audience they may be able to help with non-profit, legal and insurance questions. And you didn't mention it but if you're thinking about vets with serious injuries they may be able to help with information about accommodations.

Best of luck,
Jim

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #23 of 23 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter
Otter

Thanks Jim! In my area there's no sailing programs for veterans. Hell, after Sandy the only sailing school in ocean county shut down. Hopefully getting more veterans and their families involved can break down some barriers and aid the healing process. I know for me, I lost all interest in things I used to love and never wanted to do anything with my wife or kids. Having a common bond that a veteran and spouse can enjoy together is definitely a big help.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in