SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Input on a vessel

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  DivingOtter 
#1 ·
So I have a few interested individuals willing to back my sailing PTSD program and possibly invest in a vessel. For distance passages in multi conditions, blue water and northern elements year round, what vessels do you have experience with that would suit a crew of 5-6 in the 40 foot range? I'm more interested in robustness and simplicity in lieu of luxury. Once I leave port I want to be as self sufficient as possible.

#3 ·
That could (should) be a fairly substantial boat... what's the budget?

#4 ·
Well, right now I need to come up with some options. Either an older boat and retrofitted and modernized ant the shipyard in Bath, Maine where my connections are or something ready to go. My guess is it's going to be an older boat that needs elbow grease. I'm tasked with finding prices on both ends of the spectrum. The design won't be setting any records, rather something that can handle all weather with common sense at the helm. I'm basically scoping out all designs and prices at the moment and going back to the backer of my project with all the options on the table.

#6 ·
Pushing the boundaries a bit but I think my first target might be a Passport 40.

#7 ·
If you have your organization registered as a charity, you could start looking for boat donations, specifying what kind of boat you want. I think there are people out there who would consider donating their boat to such a good cause.

#8 ·
We are currently in the works of registering as a non profit. Eventually I would like to get to 501-c3 status, but you need to be established for sometime to be granted that. At this point in time it's all logistical work. Planning different routes and legs, needs of a vessel regardless of size and design as well as different plans for passages. After seeing how other veterans lives have changed through sailing I want to cater everything from short trips like from Atlantic city to the Statue of Liberty and back, to the Bahamas, the UK etc. I realize that a lot of veterans don't have the ability to up and leave for months at a time so I want to have plans laid out so that every vet can have the opportunity to crew on this boat whether it's for 4 days or 4 months.

#9 ·
Otter,

You need to check with a CPA. I routinely work with a CPA here to create startup 501c3's. While it's true you have to be established first to create the c3, that litterly means you have to establish the corporation first then conver it to a c3, there is no operational timeframe needed.

#12 ·
In all honesty the crew size will vary, I'd like a vessel that can be singlehanded or rigged to do so but also be able to worked by a crew when the time calls for it. If veterans want to go for a liesure sail it has to be rigged to sail with 2 or less but also hold a crew of what I would like to be 4-6. If restraints force me to go smaller then that's what I have to do.

#14 ·
Have you given any thought to the need for support personnel on a venture like this (doctor/shrink?) and the added cabin/provisions? You may be a very long way from help and it might be prudent to be prepared.

#15 ·
I would suggest a Peterson 44 as a default choice. They are usually plentiful on the marketplace. They are big enough to go anywhere with that many people, and they can be found in decent and almost ready to go condition within the upper edge of your price range. You would want to find one with glass (rather than teak) decks, and with the water tanks replaced. These boats sail very well, and often show up with all kinds of neat cruising gear such as wind steering vanes and wind gens. Be careful if the price seems too cheap since that usually means bad decks, shot engine, bad tanks, or shot sails.

They do have a few 'short comings, such as the passage from the main cabin to the aft cabin is quite cramped. Also the heads and galley are a little tight as well.

Jeff

#16 ·
Don. Thanks for telling me I'm ahead of myself. I'm 32 years old and started surfing and sailing at 2 years old. I've done 99.9 percent of my sailing solo since I was 16 years old. I've worked on many, many vessels from charter fishing to being the skipper of longline tuna, clam and lobster boats. I'm not an idiot, nor would I put my brothers in harms way. People have gone round the world in 28 ft open cockpit boats. If you think I'm "ahead of myself" that's fine. It's comments like that that make me strive harder. But, I guess being the captain of a 120 ft clam boat at the age of 22 makes me jump ahead of myself..

#17 ·
Capta, that's in the works as we speak. The goal of these voyages is to get veterans to not be dependent on doctors and to gain confidence and independance. That being said a SatPhone with a lifeline to any connections to the necessary professionals will be available. A few short film makers have been in contact with me that are interested in a documentary of our trials at sea if we are able to progress forward which I think will be amazing to show the world what we as disabled veterans are capable of.

#18 ·
I meant to say that people have rounded the globe in 20 ft open cockpit vessels. I've never sailed small boats. The first boat I sailed was my fathers 28ft oday, then the 30 Pearson and downgraded into a 23 ft sailboat. If people think I'm foolish or under qualified then that is fine. Just keep in mind that a 16 year old Dutch girl sailed around the world eastbound. Whether people are for me or think I'm reckless that is their own prerogative, but I'm going to do as much as I can in the name of veterans that I possibly can. While I may start out with small voyages, I have my eyes set on showing the world that we aren't going to sit back and have people tell us "you can't". In my eyes, taking a crew of veterans to say the Bahamas is no different then the couple who retires and buys a boat with minimal experience and sails off to the tropics.

#19 ·
And Don, I'm not being hired to run these voyages, this is out of the goodness of my heart and taking my time and my money to help veterans. If I were sailing charters, then yes, I would need a captains license. If my investors decide I need a 6 pack or greater, I have the logged sea time to go ahead and get the proper licensing to satisfy whom ever demands those credentials. I can prosody say that I'm most likely one of the few younger cruisers and captains who can use a sextant and successfully navigate celestially.

#22 ·
Otter,
I think what you're doing is a cool idea.

Two thoughts. I don't know anyone doing longer sails, but there are folks who are doing day sails for vets. It might be a good idea to reach out to them and see what there experiences have been. It may help with ideas and things you might not have thought about.

Also would it be a good idea to reach out to an organization like CRAB (Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating)? They're a non-profit Sailing program for persons with disabilities and their families. While it's a different audience they may be able to help with non-profit, legal and insurance questions. And you didn't mention it but if you're thinking about vets with serious injuries they may be able to help with information about accommodations.

Best of luck,
Jim

#23 ·
Thanks Jim! In my area there's no sailing programs for veterans. Hell, after Sandy the only sailing school in ocean county shut down. Hopefully getting more veterans and their families involved can break down some barriers and aid the healing process. I know for me, I lost all interest in things I used to love and never wanted to do anything with my wife or kids. Having a common bond that a veteran and spouse can enjoy together is definitely a big help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.