sailing 16' Tanzer - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-16-2015 Thread Starter

Question sailing 16' Tanzer

About to go look at a 16' Tanzer for sale. Can one person rig, launch, sail and upright this boat?

Last edited by DavidFran; 09-16-2015 at 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-17-2015

Re: sailing 16' Tanzer

I did through my teen years with a Mistral 16, close to the same boat.
I'm not a big person either, about 150 soaking wet and 5'8".
Used to drag that boat everywhere, even logged some good Atlantic Ocean day sail miles on it.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2015

I grew up with a Tanzer 16. At age 9, after years of sailing with my Dad on it, he pushed me off the dock and said to wave my arms if I couldn't get back. I sailed the crap out of that thing throughout my childhood and teens. So, yes, solo sailing is easy and fun. Ours had hiking straps and a tiller extender, both of which are necessary for a solo sailor with any moderate amount of breeze.

So, rigging. My Dad and I could easily raise the mast with 2 of us. I think it would be a challenge for 1 person without something like a gin pole (with which I have no experience).

Righting the boat. No, you will not get it upright if you go over. Ours went over once, and it filled with water and turtled. We had to use a powerboat, with a line attached to the mast, to get it upright. Actually was quite an ordeal. I suggest staying upright, which is not hard to do. We were being idiots, sailing downwind in a big blow, pulled up the centerboard to see if we could plane, and it didn't end well. With the CB down you'd almost have to be trying to go over.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2015

The board SHOULD be up when you are sailing downwind!
I'd say technique and sailing ablility were your problems with not being able to get it upright.
David make sure you learn where the board should be for different points of sail, makes a big difference in these little boats.
It isn't there to keep you upright, it is there to provide lateral resistance so the boat moves forwards and not sideways. Your body weight is what keeps it upright well and sail trim.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in