Standing rigging question - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 09-17-2015
Freedom 39

Re: Standing rigging question

The compression post had been replaced by the previous owner of my Bombay Clipper. Apparently the post had corroded at the base. I strongly encourage you to remove and closely inspect the chainplates, all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-17-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks folks... Honestly I have the same concerns that somehow there has been major mast drop however there is no deflection detectable in deck. The compression post and base right down to keel have been exposed and look solid as well. I have not pulled chainplates but they pass a visible in place inspection. Previous owner told me rigging is original. I guess I need to look deeper. I wish I knew what the mast step looks like but don't want to do whole mast unstep process without seeing more indication of a problem. No gin pole at my marina so would have to go to a yard. It may be telling that shrouds do exhibit more movement than stays. Everything else eliminated I probably do need to unstep and check mast base. Hmmm. Farcry any chance you have a picture of the mast base or can better describe what is under the mast? Mine is pilot version but probably same setup...

The two best days of a boater's life... The day he buys it and every day he SAILS it.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-17-2015

Of course you should bring this to the rigger's attention immediately. Before you remove anything, they usually want the turnbuckles tapped or marked but your situation sounds quite unusual and could be the symptom of a larger problem. I just rerigged my 1980 Morgan 38--we had no idea if rigging had ever been replaced--all chain plates were removed and inspected--backing plates and mast step and mastboot plate were cleaned and polished or reanodized. It's a huge job--the big issue is generally where chainplates are going through the deck or hull and have no oxygen--that's where corrosion occurs.

post #14 of 18 Old 09-18-2015
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Thanks folks... Honestly I have the same concerns that somehow there has been major mast drop however there is no deflection detectable in deck. The compression post and base right down to keel have been exposed and look solid as well. I have not pulled chainplates but they pass a visible in place inspection. Previous owner told me rigging is original. I guess I need to look deeper. I wish I knew what the mast step looks like but don't want to do whole mast unstep process without seeing more indication of a problem. No gin pole at my marina so would have to go to a yard. It may be telling that shrouds do exhibit more movement than stays. Everything else eliminated I probably do need to unstep and check mast base. Hmmm. Farcry any chance you have a picture of the mast base or can better describe what is under the mast? Mine is pilot version but probably same setup...
I'm sorry I have no photos. I was told the compression post deteriorated at the bottom of the compression post where it rests in the bilge.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I was told the compression post deteriorated at the bottom of the compression post where it rests in the bilge.
That usually translates into a deck sag. It is hard to see that your deck is sagging 3-4 inches.
Most of the time this problem is not too hard to fix. Make a new compression post, or cut out rotten wood from the bottom and add a solid section to it. Use a hydraulic jack to lift the deck to make room for the new part. It can all be done when you work on your new standing rigging.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #16 of 18 Old 09-20-2015
Freedom 39

I replaced the forestay and the chainplates on the stern. Fortunately the previous owner had the compression post replaced.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-20-2015 Thread Starter

Compression post is confirmed all the way to keel. It is clean SS and sits on a glassed in block of what I think is some sort of concrete. It is all very clean rust free and solid. One thing I want to check is alignment of post with mast. What are the chances someone designed a boat whose compression post is not directly under mast? That seems unlikely but...

The two best days of a boater's life... The day he buys it and every day he SAILS it.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-20-2015

I thought of another possibility. If someone replaced the original turnbuckles with a set of longer ones (usually the longer ones are also stronger) they might be maxed out now (screwed all the way in). Check the alignment of the compression post on top. If it has moved, it will not be aligned with the mast. Them not being aligned on purpose is not likely.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in