Newport RI Boat Show Discussion - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 33 Old 09-19-2015

Re: Newport RI Boat Show Discussion

I wonder if Uber is working boat show weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 33 Old 09-19-2015 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I wonder if Uber is working boat show weekend.
According to my Uber app, they are. I see seven cars in the area of the warfs right now.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #13 of 33 Old 09-20-2015

We went yesterday. The weather was just perfect. The past five years or so, I've parked in the lot at First Beach ($15) and taken the free shuttle to the show. I've done the "find a spot somewhere on the street" thing, as well as parking at the Visitor's Center. The beach may not be the cheapest, but it works best. We got there about 11 am, and the lot was just about full. The attendant said they had parked over a 1000 cars already. We managed to find a spot as someone else was leaving. Surprisingly, although the show was crowded, it wasn't obnoxious. I never had to wait to board any boats, although I did have to wait once or twice to go below.

The Admiral and I went on a number of boats. I must say I loved the Alerion Cruising 41. Just a beautiful boat. Wonderful craftsmanship, and very practical given the limitations of the design. My wife's favorite was the Italia 13.something. This was I believe hull #13 that had just arrived in this country. The sails weren't even on the boat. A very modern design, with some very clean woodwork below. Nice. Not my thing, but nice.

We also went aboard what is essentially a Friendship 50 The owner loved his Friendship 40 but wanted something bigger. He had Ted Fontaine (the designer of the F40) draw up a new boat and had it built custom cold molded by a yard in Maine. Crazy beautiful workmanship, above and below deck.

After lunch, the Mrs. went shopping and I went aboard a number of boats that I had never seen before. A lot of the boats looked very similar to the Italia: sloped cabin trunk, wide stern sections, expansive cockpit, open salon with light colored woods, kind of Ikea-looking. The boats that I really wanted to check out and did were the Beneteau Sense models. I know they aren't very favored by some "real" sailors, but I have to admit that I would love to be invited on a party or coastal cruise on the 50 or 55. These boats really hit their design brief on the nose; they really fit the way that most people use their boats: as party platforms at anchor or at the dock, which nice accommodations for coastal cruising. As I looked at the large cockpit, short three steps down into the wide open salon, with all berths towards the bow, I was reminded of the mullet hair cut: business in front, party in back. And while the Sense series (as well as all of the Beneteaus and Jenneaus) follow the same styling queues as the Italia, the Azuree and others, the level of fit and finish on the Beneteau Senses were clearly a cut below their more expensive European competition.

I also spent a lot of time on my favorite boat, the Seaward 32 RK. Spent some time talking to the sales person, a very nice young woman who happens to be the daughter of the company's owner. Wish I could buy the boat....

One of the main reasons I wanted to go the show was to talk to a stainless manufacturer about replacing my lifelines and putting some gates in. I found the Suncor guy almost immediately and found out exactly what I need. I will be buying new lifelines and gates to install next spring.

On a fun note, my wife and I were approached by three young ladies in Quantum Sails t shirts to undertake a "challenge". They had a deck of knot-tying cards; if I could tie the knot described on the card that picked, I would win a prize. Why not? So the card I pick is for a sheet bend, one of three or four knots that I can tie in the dark. Boom! and wife and I win a couple croakies. My wife (ever the trouble-maker) says, "give him another". So the next card I pick? A bowline. What are the odds that out of that big deck of cards, I would pick one of the other three knots I know well? Too bad that there were no more prizes.
robert sailor likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mstern For This Useful Post:
jjablonowski (09-20-2015)

post #14 of 33 Old 09-22-2015

We skipped the Newport Boat Show and just went to the free brokerage show because we weren't shopping for anything in particular this year. We went aboard several sailboats, some for ideas for our boat, some simply out of curiosity. I enjoyed checking out the layouts and finishes of the wide variety of boats by Hinkley, Oyster, Tartan, etc. Did I mention it's free?

The highlight for me was a 1983 Cape Dory 45, Fiona Rois. We spent a long time chatting with Mike, the owner of this beautiful, meticulously cared for boat. He wasn't kidding when he said that his listing at fiona4sale.com is detailed. It's nice to have pictures of the ideas I intend to copy.
post #15 of 33 Old 09-22-2015

I've always wanted to go to that show! Next year....
post #16 of 33 Old 09-22-2015 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
We skipped the Newport Boat Show and just went to the free brokerage show because we weren't shopping for anything in particular this year. We went aboard several sailboats, some for ideas for our boat, some simply out of curiosity. I enjoyed checking out the layouts and finishes of the wide variety of boats by Hinkley, Oyster, Tartan, etc. Did I mention it's free?

The highlight for me was a 1983 Cape Dory 45, Fiona Rois. We spent a long time chatting with Mike, the owner of this beautiful, meticulously cared for boat. He wasn't kidding when he said that his listing at fiona4sale.com is detailed. It's nice to have pictures of the ideas I intend to copy.
Was it in Newport? Never heard of the free brokerage show.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #17 of 33 Old 09-22-2015

Yes, the brokerage show is in Newport. It's at the Newport Shipyard, not far from the Newport Boat Show. The show water shuttle goes there too.
post #18 of 33 Old 09-22-2015 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Quote:
Yes, the brokerage show is in Newport. It's at the Newport Shipyard, not far from the Newport Boat Show. The show water shuttle goes there too.
Now I remember seeing the sign for the water shuttle. I'll have to check it out next year. Thanks.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #19 of 33 Old 09-23-2015

Quote:
Wow! That is one amazing listing!!
post #20 of 33 Old 09-15-2016

Resurrecting this thread for 2016. The wife and I are planning to go on Sunday -- our first time at the show.

Despite the many negative comments regarding last year's show, I'm hoping that if the weather is nice we will enjoy ourselves. We're just browsing, as I'm new to sailing and not ready to even think about buying my own boat at this point.

So, any tips from past show-goers for which boat builders and booths to hit up first? Are there any good giveaways?

TIA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in