Newport RI Boat Show Discussion - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 Old 09-15-2016

Re: Newport RI Boat Show Discussion

Please stop by the Mack Sails booth and check out the promo video I produced for them on their flatscreen monitor.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 09-15-2016

Curious to hear any reports of space in the designated anchorage off Ida Lewis.
We're headed south to Cape May today but considered staying for the show.
post #23 of 33 Old 09-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml999 View Post
Resurrecting this thread for 2016. The wife and I are planning to go on Sunday -- our first time at the show.

Despite the many negative comments regarding last year's show, I'm hoping that if the weather is nice we will enjoy ourselves. We're just browsing, as I'm new to sailing and not ready to even think about buying my own boat at this point.

So, any tips from past show-goers for which boat builders and booths to hit up first? Are there any good giveaways?

TIA
I've found that Sunday isn't the best day to go if you are planning to look at boats; it seems to me that a lot of the vendors and sales people are just plain tired out by then, and are less enthusiastic. On the flip side, many of the vendors are looking to dump stock and you can get some good deals on stuff in the afternoon. I've scored some good deals at 3 pm on Sunday. Not to mention that the weather is supposed to be nicer on Saturday this week.

Whatever. The Show is still a hoot and definitely worth a trip. The line up of boats is somewhat different every year, so the list of "must-sees" is going to depend on who's there now and your own preferences. You can go on the show website and see a list of the planned exhibitors and go from there. A few vendors are always there: the usual suspects like West Marine and Defender will be there. They usually have staples at good but not great prices. Every now and then, they'll have a break out special like a boat hook for $5.

Give yourself enough time to see boats, have lunch and go through all of the vendor tents. I think 3 hours is a minimum.

Enjoy.

post #24 of 33 Old 09-16-2016 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

I was there yesterday (Thursday). Two thumbs up for the perfect weather.

I thought the show was done well this year. NO Hunter Marlow. ONE Catalina (380).
Hanse seems like they are really coming on strong in the US market. Jeanneau and Benneteau had nice displays...but I was NOT a fan of the 35ish foot boats. Rather depressing layouts, woodwork, IMHO. Does everything over 30 ft have to have dual helms? However, the sales people where very nice.

I am actively looking for a boat, granted not new, but someone is going to make a $5K commission off me. Jeesh, say hi and offer me a business card or ask me if I'm looking. Lots of sales people standing in small groups ignoring prospective customers. I guess if you stand in one spot long enough a customer will find you and stare at you long enough to make eye contact

Other than tickets, food and a couple of drinks through the day I managed NOT to buy anything. How the hell did that happen?

Also, I went with my good friend who is a power boater so we spent some time looking at mid 30 ft power boats and this was interesting (something I would have not done otherwise). Those sales people where on top of their game! Friendly, asked questions, offered tours, initiated conversation, but none seemed overbearing.

Enjoy!
eherlihy likes this.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #25 of 33 Old 09-16-2016

I'll be going tomorrow. It's disappointing to hear that Catalina has only one boat there. And I already know that my favorite, the Seaward 32, won't be there at all; it looks like their sister company Island Packet is out as well. Haven't heard boo from those good folks since the big announcement a few months ago.

My wife will come look at boats for an hour or so, talk to the charter companies and go on some catamarans, then usually take off for some shopping downtown. I then get some time to myself to talk to vendors and maybe buy some stuff.

Looking forward to the spectacle!
post #26 of 33 Old 09-16-2016

Hi,
Never been before at one of this boat shows. I am not looking in the market for a new boat, though I'd like to know if there is any kind of deals in, let's say, clothes, gear, books, etc. I know that sailing schools, like Narragansett Bay, is giving some kind of discounts for next season ASA courses (eg, 100 bucks out of $500 course or $50 out of $300). Is it worth the travel and ticket? Thanks
post #27 of 33 Old 09-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascoamarillo View Post
.....Is it worth the travel and ticket? Thanks
If you're buying a big ticket item, it can definitely pay. When I bought my boat cover, I saved $900 (on $6k). Easy to save hundreds on liferafts, dinghys, electronics, etc. But here's a secret....... in many cases you can just call the vendor and get the "boat show" pricing, as long as you call during (sometimes just near) the show itself. Naturally, you don't get to see and touch the product over the phone.

If I was going to travel to only one show, I would go to the Annapolis Sailboat Show, in Oct. Caution, it will ruin all other shows for you. By now, however, you'll be on a waiting list for any nearby hotel. If you rent a car and stay 15-30 mins outside of town, it will be more available. Although, I think they have Uber in Annapolis, so that may be a modern option. There are also lots to park in, with shuttles to the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #28 of 33 Old 09-18-2016

I agree with Minne; there are deals to be had at the show on accessories, but outside of things like sunglasses or off brand binoculars, there are few "spectacular" bargains. Every now and then, someone will have a door-buster deal on a doohickey. I once bought a boat hook for $5 at Newport. But for the most part, the discount off of retail is something like 5%. Example: a vendor was selling those neat belts with sailboats and other nautical themes on them for $45 at the show. My wife wanted to stop at a clothing store on Thames Street that she likes before we went home called "Island Pursuit". It's an upscale, very New Englandy, full retail price store that is almost across the street from the show entrance. I noticed they were selling the exact same belts in the store; their price: $48.

The shows are definitely the way to go if you are buying a new boat or big dollar item. But there is also value in just going and talking to experts. Yesterday, I learned how to use my chartplotter better, I got some good ideas how to replace my lifelines more efficiently, and I made an impulse purchase of new Soft Science shoes (about the most comfortable shoes ever, but so fugly...) that I don't yet regret. But the real reason I go? To see and be around boats and like minded people. It's exciting! It's fun!

Newport is 2 hours from my house, and I go most years. I have family in Miami, and I've been to that show about a dozen times as well. Some day, Annapolis!
post #29 of 33 Old 09-18-2016
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
If I was going to travel to only one show, I would go to the Annapolis Sailboat Show, in Oct.
If I was going to travel to only one show it would be the Southampton Boat Show. It's huge, has everything we see in the US and more, and they start the layout by setting the location of the Guinness beer tent. You have to love a show with priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Although, I think they have Uber in Annapolis, so that may be a modern option. There are also lots to park in, with shuttles to the show.
Yes, there is Uber in Annapolis.

There are many remote lots, including the large parking areas at the Naval Academy stadium on Taylor Avenue. Plan for half an hour each way for shuttle buses and pay attention to the time they shut down for the day.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #30 of 33 Old 09-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If I was going to travel to only one show it would be the Southampton Boat Show. It's huge, has everything we see in the US and more, and they start the layout by setting the location of the Guinness beer tent. You have to love a show with priorities.......
Now, that is enticing. However, Pusser's has a pretty good corner on the Painkiller stand at Annapolis. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the oyster shooter and side of beer at Middletons. I order them by the dozen!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in