Newport RI Boat Show Discussion - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Newport RI Boat Show Discussion

I just came from the Sept. 2015 Newport, RI show.

First off, if you use Ticketmaster, the e-ticket function is next to useless. You have to find the main tent and they will print you a ticket to get you into one of the gates and they will give you a wristband from there. Stupid, I was sent to FOUR different places before they would let us in. Correction, the e-ticket function is useless, print the effing things out.

The "VIP" thursday ticket gets you nothing but "free" parking for more money. If you are a complete idiot like me and use the e-ticket option you must park first, then go get sent to four different locations until you finally arrive at the golden palace so they can print you a paper ticket and then they will ask you if you still want your parking ticket. They do this just in case you want to go move your car or attempt to get some sort of refund from a parking attendant.

Last time I went to the Newport boat show I said it was my last. If I go again it will be by boat so at least I'll get some sailing in.

I ended up parking a bit farther away than I would have liked, but it was a nice walk and I got a free charge for my Nissan Leaf EV.

Even less interesting doo-dad vendors with magic sail ties or glue or any such nonsense, not even a guy cooking with a microphone round his head hawking stacking pan sets. At least not today. I did get a new cap with the name of my boat on it.

Only one Catalina in the entire show, a 315.

Only the C&C 30 OD and that is one cool boat, but it's not a lot to show the girlfriend unless she's the type to enjoy something like; "look honey, we could scare the hell out of people on a beam reach at 18 knots, then do a sail change and surf until they beg us to stop." And if you have that type of girlfriend...well...every guy here is a bit peeved at you. Oh, yea, the Redline 41 was MIA, too bad because it is one hell of a purdy vessel.

Still over at USW, I could not find the Alerion 41, but maybe I missed it.

The Marlow-Hunter boats looked nice, a step up from what I remember in the past. Seems like the workmanship is better or is it my imagination?

Bennie and Jennie made a fine showing, as did Hanse but not enough sub 38 foot boats. I did like the Hanse 38, but if they had something smaller maybe they could have gotten a pen in my hand while I was still in the dealership

A couple of e=drives lurking about, including an option for in the new J88 (I think)

All in all, a beautiful day walking the docks and I met a couple of old friends, made a couple new ones. It's hard to beat the location.

My girlfriend had never been on a brand spanking shiny new sailboat, much less a huge catamaran. She was highly impressed. At one point she did a little math in her head and said out loud "Seven hundred dollars a month is not that much to pay if you really get some use out of it." I wish I had recorded that.

Stopped in Jamestown for dinner on the way home, I love that place.

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more later.

Tell us what you really think!

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
The Following User Says Thank You to RobGallagher For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (09-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 09-18-2015

Re: Newport RI Boat Show Discussion

Probably won't go this year. Hoping to make it to Annapolis though. Having nothing but sailboats in the show is special. I'm glad the Newport show is still on, but it's been getting mixed reviews for years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 33 Old 09-18-2015
bell ringer

Planning on going Sunday. Not planning on looking at any boats.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old 09-18-2015

Shooting over tomorrow. I'll probably look at the boat I hope to own someday (Seaward 32RK), as well as some to impress the Admiral. Last year, we went on an Oyster 60something, and she opined that she would like to charter one. Progress! Once she gets tired of looking, she'll go off shopping, and I'll look at some more boats and touch all the gadgets. This year I want to talk to some stainless guys about options for making a "gate" in my lifelines.
post #5 of 33 Old 09-18-2015

Just returned from the show, I think Friday is the day to go, less money for the ticket as opposed to Thursday , and no mom and dad with the requisite 2.5 kids in tow clogging up the docks .( no offense to those that have created little mini me's , just for me as a genetic dead end I prefer the relative peace and quiet of Friday) was disappointed with Catalina ( I didn't even see the 315, but poked around it two years ago there) the marlow hunter 31 was I think, in my opinion ( not worth much as I'm not a marine architect ) the best bargain of the sailboats on display. Spacious , good hardware, decently priced , seemed well put together although I didnt get to lift and poke as much as I would have ( the reps get worried when you start digging too deep, oh well).
Beneteau had a nice line up but no handholds going down the companionway , (how are you supposed to safely get to your spacious cabin after a evening of martins).Had some booths that I wanted to pick some brains at, always a good lunch to be had with some tasty beverage . Best t shirt- puffin dinghys
" because dinghys should be hard" but more important than all that,
Rob , a girlfriend? Why weren't we informed around the mooring field?!
Details !?
post #6 of 33 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter
HANUMAN

Dino, it's all been very hush hush. We will have to all get together for drinks when it becomes public. You will be impressed

Mstern, I didn't see the 32 RK but maybe I missed it. I like that boat but I would like to spend a bit of time sailing it before I took the plunge.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #7 of 33 Old 09-19-2015

In regards to the Annapolis sailboat show, which is the better of the two, the October one or the April one?
post #8 of 33 Old 09-19-2015

October

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 33 Old 09-19-2015

Parking in Newport is such a hassle I won't go unless by boat. But took bus once from barrington ( where boat was)and even that was easier than parking. This year called the vendors I knew I'd be interested about. Got them to generate best boat show price "out the door".' Bought what I wanted at that discount without the boat show hassle. Big purchase,Cape Horn extreme watermaker.
Of interest, sailed by Newport today going to Bristol.m Listening to traffic on 16 seems there were moorings and anchor space open.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 33 Old 09-19-2015

I went on Thursday, the "VIP Day," and felt that the lack of crowds and the ability to actually climb aboard the boats without having to wait in line is worth the extra admission price. Besides, the vendors seem to be a bit more attentive...maybe they're not yet tired on the first day.

Take the #60 bus. $2. The terminal is just a few blocks from the show, and no parking hassle (or fee). Or, anchor or park in Jamestown and take the ferry.

Eastern Yacht Sales had been the Catalina distributor for the region, but I hear it's getting out of the new-boat biz and concentrating on used-boat brokerage. Catalina has appointed Springline Yacht Sales (Mystic, Conn.) for the area, but the dealer had only one new boat (the 315) in stock to show. And that was just days out of the Largo, Fla., factory...Springline managing broker Andy Baker was still bending on a new anchor in the opening hours of the show.

Still cannot wrap my mind around rope (well, Dyneema) back stays, which seemed ubiquitous...

Was in the market for a winter cover. Able to do some comparison shopping, plus I got the "Show Discount."

Gotta love the Newport Boat Show!

Joe - s/v Assignment, Catalina 320

Last edited by jjablonowski; 09-19-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in