Triton and Vanguard dates? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter

Triton and Vanguard dates?

Still shopping for my next boat, and these are half of my short list. I understand that at some point during production a switch was made from bronze to aluminum deck hardware. Does anyone know approximately what hull numbers or years that this was put into practice? Thanks for any info on these vessels.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 09-18-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit edit instead of quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-18-2015
Administrator

Re: Triton and Vanguard dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying sailor View Post
Still shopping for my next boat, and these are half of my short list. I understand that at some point during production a switch was made from bronze to aluminum deck hardware. Does anyone know approximately what hull numbers or years that this was put into practice? Thanks for any info on these vessels.
Bronze and chromed bronze hardware was an option for as long as both boats were in production. The Triton had very few boats with Marinium (Merriman's proprietary aluminum alloy) hardware, and that option would have occurred after hull number 500, which was constructed in 1965. Vanguards added the Marinium option around 1965 and hull number 200 or so.

Having owned a Vanguard and spent a bunch of time on Triton's, I am curious why these boats form half of your short list.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
flying sailor (09-19-2015)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I am curious why these boats form half of your short list.

Jeff

I'm hoping it's because they are two of the prettiest boats ever built and they are affordable!

post #4 of 12 Old 09-18-2015
Administrator

Yeah but there are a lot of pretty boats which cost about the same, sail better, are more seaworthy, and cost about the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #5 of 12 Old 09-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Yeah but there are a lot of pretty boats which cost about the same, sail better, are more seaworthy, and cost about the same.
I get that; I'd choose the Pearson Renegade over either the Triton or Vanguard. But that's mostly because I just couldn't stand to have a full keel boat that sails like a dog in light air and backs up like a drunk wildebeast. But I have to admit, I think that whole line of Alberg-designed or influenced Pearsons are better looking than the Bill Shaw boats (including the Renegade).

What alternatives did you have in mind for our OP?
post #6 of 12 Old 09-18-2015
Administrator

I would do a Bristol 33/34 or Tartan 30 in a heart beat over a (Phillip Rhodes designed) Vanguard, and an S&S (Bill Shaw) designed Tartan 27 over a Triton any day of the week. I would also take a boat like the Renegade as well for the reasons that you name.

Jeff

post #7 of 12 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter

Well, they are pretty. Yeah, I know they won't go astern well. I sail on my friends Vanguard. Docking, or more precisely leaving is always exciting. Considering some of the Bristol line. Lake Erie is where I sail. It does get very interesting with short notice. looking for something substantial, even though most of the time it can be light air. Meanwhile, I am thumping hulls and researching online. It is almost like finding the right woman to marry. When I see her , I'll know. Thanks for the info on the Pearson deck hardware.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-18-2015 Thread Starter

Jeff, just wanted to thank you for the info on the hardware.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-19-2015

Always a pleasure to here Jeff say nice things about Tartan 27s!

A design that has stood the test of time. No need to rehash all of the safety/performance/comfort stuff. Just a pretty boat that sails well in most conditions.

Skywalker
post #10 of 12 Old 09-19-2015 Thread Starter

Tartan 27's are another interesting boat to me. The only ones I have seen lately are on death row. Looked at a Waquiez 32 last week, and oh boy! Every bodies idea of needs some work is different. I suppose my list will expand and contract a few times until the right one is there. This time of year there is a lot for sale. By the by, the Tartan factory was located at one time about 1 1/2 hours away, by car.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in