SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What emergency device? When?

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Omatako 
#1 ·
The price of emergency devices have really come down. Plus DSC has become standard on most radios, and is even available on handhelds.

It seems like a boat might carry a number of emergency communication devices.

Assuming there are three general categories in VHF communications:
o SECURITE
o PAN-PAN
o MAYDAY

When / how do you use the following equipment with the three different types of calls? Do these devices create new categories?
o VHF DSC
o SSB DSC
o Sat phone call
o Sat phone SOS button
o SPOT SOS Button
o Other??

:captain:

See less See more
#3 ·
Presuming this is not a troll.....

You missed the most important safety radio - an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon.) Adding it to your list then:

In that case:

MAYDAY -> All of the above

Pan - Pan -> This is the tricky one. Since Pan-Pan indicates a need but "No Immediate Danger" one might simply make a non-DSC VHF radio call (e.g. I am out of gas and drifting but will not hit anything for a couple of hours, I am grounded a a shoal but the boat is stable.) Pan-Pan is an "urgency" message - I need help but I am OK waiting some time for the help (as opposed to Mayday where the SAR forces will drop everything to respond immediately.)

Securite -> None of the above, non-DSC call on VHF radio.

#10 ·
Presuming this is not a troll.....
You missed the most important safety radio - an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) or PLB (Personal Locator Beacon.) Adding it to your list then:
Yep - Just missed it.

That is not quite right, you can choose which type of call you are making using the DSC emergency button, Mayday, pan or securite.
Right! And this is part of what I'm interested in hearing people's thought's on.

It seems like there is SO MUCH emergency equipment available you might a) forget something; or b) spend time activating every device while not taking care of the problem.

For example, assume you have both (lucky you) HF and VHF DSC ... I think the flow would be something like this:

1. Do you think you are close enough to land for VHF? If yes VHF; if No; HF.

2. No response on VHF after 2 minutes? Call on DSC HF

-----------------

Have you ever tried to do a non-emergency DSC call? It seems like the number of buttons to push might not be worth it?

----------------

I'm assuming a SAT Phone SOS is hooked up to a SAR coordination center. If you have lost power and it looks like you are losing the battle on a lee shore - does it really make sense to Sat Phone SOS? Isn't just Mayday what you need?

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

#4 ·
For what it's worth, I'd view the following as the equivalent of a voice Mayday call:

VHF Radio with DSC emergency button
SSB Radio with DSC emergency button
EPIRB Activation
Lighting off a Flair

Only do this if you mean it. Many of my friends are coasties and will deploy expensive assets to find you. The good news with the electronic ones, if you correctly connect and register your DSC radio to your GPS, or you have a registered 406 EPIRB with GPS, they will know who and where your are very precisely. I cannot tell you how may stories they tell me about a flair report, that they spend time chasing that turns out to be nothing found.

Make a voice call and it can be nuanced. Press a button, and they are coming.

#5 ·
That is not quite right, you can choose which type of call you are making using the DSC emergency button, Mayday, pan or securite. Pressing the button is NOT an automatic mayday. You have to be familiar with the type of emergencies and CHOOSE the right one.
After the DSC call everything happens by voice so you WILL need to know proper radio procedures.
That's why I suggest a course by a proper provider be it Power Squadron, ASA if they offer it, CYA etc.
Don't know about the states but in Canada it is illegal to even turn on a VHF without your radio operators permit. (I doubt they would charge you in a real emergency though)
I was under the impression you also needed some type of radio ticket south of the border as well, could be dead wrong on that.
Never looked into it, I don't go to the states.

#8 ·
In Australia there's courses too, to give a Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency.
Part of the course teaches GMDSS

GMDSS is the Global Maritime Distress hmmmm something System.

"The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) is an internationally agreed-upon set of safety procedures, types of equipment, and communication protocols used to increase safety and make it easier to rescue distressed ships, boats and aircraft."

#9 ·
It's still all fresh in my mind, had to upgrade my permit this spring when I bought a new DCS capable radio, I think it's all called a Restricted Radio Operators Permit with DSC endorsment.
Looking back it was a good all around refresher as well since I've never had to make an emergency call, not something I really though about rehearsing after I got my original permit years ago.

#11 ·
Depends where you are.

Middle of the Atlantic/Pacific GPS enabled EPIRB with a satphone as a backup.

Interisland in the Eastern Carib you need a regular mobile phone preprogrammed with local 'emergency' numbers. These will be listed on the islands Facebook pages and may not always be the obvious ones.

#14 ·
Interisland in the Eastern Carib you need a regular mobile phone preprogrammed with local 'emergency' numbers. These will be listed on the islands Facebook pages and may not always be the obvious ones.
The phone numbers are listed (worldwide) in Pub 117 available at Maritime Safety Information

I still stand by my original advice - first you fire up the EPRIB/PLB.

Fair winds and following seas :)

#15 ·
I think the "false mayday" problem is complicated by a lack of creative thinking.

You get a false mayday, and the first responder on scene should be allowed to put a 24" hole in the hull, to demonstrate the difference in "real" and "false" for those who have problems grasping the concept.

Then, they need to drop a buoy that plays a recorded message: "We care about your call because you are an important customer. Our call center is very busy with other callers right now, but please hold, you are number eight in the call queue and your call will be answered by the first available SAR team."

Airdropping sharks in the waters would be at the discretion of the responders, and firmly encouraged if they had been interrupted during meal or nap times.

#17 ·
I can't quote previous posts on this useless mobile phone thing...

HF Radio is near useless unless you are in the USA (I only even say this because HF freaks will complain).

With hoaxes so frequent I think in a real emergency one must try for multiple means of coms:

I have 2 EPIRBS (one out of date but should work)
DSC VHF for close by ships/shore
AIS change the boat name to Mayday.
Sat phone: Email the coast guard of the country u are near AND your home country rescue service (AMSA for Aussies, USCG for Americans)
Sat Phone: Ring the local coast guard AND your own home country rescue authority.

After all that work you wanna hope the boat hasn't already sunk!

Flares are ONLY of use when you can see a searching vessel or plane. Shooting one at random is just a waste unless you kept all your out of date ones and are close to the coast.

But the best thing to do is not get into trouble in the first place! (Or fix the problem yourself)

#21 ·
HF Radio is near useless unless you are in the USA (I only even say this because HF freaks will complain.
What?!?? When did the USA get the monopoly on HF radio?

Obviously you don't have one. :p Or if you do it doesn't work properly. :confused: Or if it does you don't know how to use it. :D

I have crossed oceans starting with my first voyage in 1996 with HF contact nearly every day and am still doing it today. In the last event when we thought it prudent that someone should know where we were (2007), we contacted Maritime New Zealand by SSB from 500nm away who then called us on our Iridium phone. Before you ask, we didn't have their number.

We get weather updates from HF nets and download GRIB files when needed at zero cost. There are many valuable contributions our SSB makes to our peace-of-mind.

I can think of several safety items I would willingly throw over the side before sacrificing my SSB.

I guess we're all different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.