Thoughts on this idea to try and change seacock on trailer - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bruce3966

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-27-2015 Thread Starter

Thoughts on this idea to try and change seacock on trailer

So I am changing all seacocks (currently has old gate valves) and the head intake thru-hull fitting is about a third of the way under the wood on the trailer (photo attached). Since the side wood cradles only help stabilize the boat I was thinking first of just cutting out a section of the wood and then I changed my mind and I am now thinking about taking my right angle drill and just drilling a 1 1/2" hole right under the thru-hull with of course stopping about an 1/8" before hitting the hull and finish by using a knife to carve out the rest of the wood. The part that sucks about this is trying to drill a hole with about a 1/3 missing in that cut is hard.

I have to change both pieces of wood on the trailer and carpet them anyway next year after I launch. I cannot take the chance in keeping this gate valve in for a summer sailing. If anybody has a better idea I would love to hear it.
Attached Thumbnails
Head intake thru-hull.jpg  

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-27-2015

Re: Thoughts on this idea to try and change seacock on trailer

That doesn't look like much wood n the way. Use a chisel...carefully.

Why is the carpet on the bottom of the bunks?

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 9 Old 09-27-2015 Thread Starter

All my boats (all motor) through out my life have had indoor/outdoor carpet on the wood. I would never have a boat sit on raw wood. What do you or others use if not carpet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard

post #4 of 9 Old 09-27-2015 Thread Starter

Hey thanks. No idea why I didn't think of using a chisel. I did drill half way through with my right angle drill and just used a BF screwdriver and knocked out the rest in 5 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1985 O'Day 26'

post #5 of 9 Old 09-27-2015
Master Mariner

Couldn't you just jack up the boat enough to do the switch out and not cut anything?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2015 Thread Starter

No immediate way to jack it up but I'm all set. Have the old thru-hull out already. I'm interested in hearing more from others about carpet on the trailer bunks.

1985 O'Day 26'

post #7 of 9 Old 09-28-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
Have the old thru-hull out already. I'm interested in hearing more from others about carpet on the trailer bunks.
Maybe I am seeing this wrong, but in your photo it looks like the boat is resting directly on the wood, while the carpet is on the bottom of the bunks.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-28-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Maybe I am seeing this wrong, but in your photo it looks like the boat is resting directly on the wood, while the carpet is on the bottom of the bunks.
That it is in some areas only due to another one of the PO's sad maintenance items.
Capt Len likes this.

1985 O'Day 26'

post #9 of 9 Old 09-28-2015
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Small boat? Use a car jack with suitable padding/blocking to just raise the hull off that part of the trailer, enough so you can just use the hole saw without worries. Or some cedar shakes, or other wedges, to just lift that part of the hull another inch.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in