SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Solar Controller Voltage Ouput (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/221033-solar-controller-voltage-ouput.html)

Don L 09-28-2015 03:59 PM

Solar Controller Voltage Ouput

I have an Outback Flex 60 MPPT solar controller for my 290W 30V panel. Lately I've noticed that during morning/evening or shady conditions the controller says it is putting out 11.9V, which makes sense. But at the same time it says it is putting out a couple of amps and the battery monitor also says this. Yet at the time the battery bank voltage is 12.3V+. So I don't understand how the controller could be putting out anything if the output voltage is less than the battery voltage.

I've have this setup for a couple of years and don't remember seeing this before so I worry something is going bad. I also this year seem to have a lot of trouble getting the controller voltage adjusted to what the batteries voltage really is.

Thoughts?

hellosailor 09-28-2015 08:27 PM

Re: Solar Controller Voltage Ouput

Could be a difference in how or where the other voltmeter is set up. Or, perhaps there is something else in the circuit (anchor light?) that is tricking the MPPT controller into providing output lower than what the batteries alone would need?

Don L 09-28-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 3052769)
Could be a difference in how or where the other voltmeter is set up. Or, perhaps there is something else in the circuit (anchor light?) that is tricking the MPPT controller into providing output lower than what the batteries alone would need?

Nothing that I can think of. Seems when I notice this the amps are low and I can not even tell myself it has to do with with voltage drop (not much voltage drop through a #6 wire with 5 amps).

fmueller 09-28-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 3052273)
I have an Outback Flex 60 MPPT solar controller for my 290W 30V panel. Lately I've noticed that during morning/evening or shady conditions the controller says it is putting out 11.9V, which makes sense. But at the same time it says it is putting out a couple of amps and the battery monitor also says this. Yet at the time the battery bank voltage is 12.3V+. So I don't understand how the controller could be putting out anything if the output voltage is less than the battery voltage.

I've have this setup for a couple of years and don't remember seeing this before so I worry something is going bad. I also this year seem to have a lot of trouble getting the controller voltage adjusted to what the batteries voltage really is.

Thoughts?

This has got to be just a calibration issue with one of the voltmeters or the ammeter. You (obviously) can't charge a 12.3 v battery with an 11.9 v source.

Do you have a high quality DVM that you could use to get an actual battery voltage? I'm guessing the voltmeter in the cc has just drifted over time.

~fortunat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MarkofSeaLife 09-29-2015 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have something buggered up. It should not make sense. Its wrong.

The contoller at night should read the battery voltage you read anywhere on your system. Not half a volt less.

If your battery is at 12.5 with no load and 12.3 with load your controller should say 12.5 and 12.3 respectively.

Mark