Delaware river questions - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Delaware river questions

Thanks guys. I will leave at first light and go around the shoal. what about the exit from cape may ? lots current there when i got in this morning my heart was beating like crazy .... just not use to that stuff, insane current low depth etc, but i am getting use to that stuff slowly.

S/V Grey Goose
Cs 36
home port: Gaspésie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 09-29-2015

The bridge on the Cape May Canal is 55ft (above mean high water). The Cape May Canal exits directly onto the Delaware Bay; Its not the same as the 'ocean side' inlet to Cape May.

If you can get under this bridge, its the best way with the least hassle and for no passage through the shoals at Cape May Point.

For a passage out the Cape May Canal: Youll be leaving at 'after' low tide (4:50AM), and at ~6:30 to 7AM the tide at Cape May will be about 4ft. lower than high tide . ... or about 59ft. clearance. All of this is from 'data', so your actual clearance may be different.

;-)
post #13 of 20 Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter

Yes the bridge but i dont really like it .... if i leave in the dark lets say 5 or 6 in the morning and go around the shoal can i still make it ? well more then i think of it my clearance is 52 feet plus 10 inch so if its low tide or almost i think its safe to assume i can get under the bridge... what about other bridges on the canal anything i should be aware of ?

S/V Grey Goose
Cs 36

Last edited by soyuz; 09-29-2015 at 10:57 PM.

post #14 of 20 Old 09-29-2015

Sure, you can go out the ocean inlet head to the Epf shoal channel and make your decision based on what you SEE.

But, If you can get under that bridge (at near first light and with an additional ~4 ft. clearance due to the tide at 6-7AM) it would be far easier and more time saving to go that way. Probably would save you an hour ... or more.

Why I would attempt the Canal route tomorrow morning:
Current (west end of Cape May Canal / Ferry Terminal)
4:18AM slack
7:15AM 1.3kts flood
10:29AM slack
Which also means that you will have close to max. flood current in the Epf Shoal Channel when leaving at first light.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-29-2015 Thread Starter

I was editing my last post as soon you answered. I think i am going to go under the bridge. at 52 and 10 inchs i think its safe. Anything else i should be aware after that bridge ?

Thanks richH

S/V Grey Goose
Cs 36
post #16 of 20 Old 09-29-2015

Watch the height/clearance indicator boards on the bridge fenders and be under the middle span of the bridge; go slow under the bridge. If you see a boat with a large wake overtaking you when youre close to be 'under' the bridge, most commerciaL fishing boats will answer you on VHF Channel 13 if you need them to slow down. Dont be bashful to blow 5 blasts on your horn.

Cape May for the most part is a commercial fishing port and they dont seem to have much time for 'courtesy'; the fishermen dont seem to realize how tall a sailboat can be under a bridge.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-30-2015
Otter

My buddy's a meteorologist with Rutgers. Here's the scenarios going on in the video. Pressure dropping, Greenland blocking and an inverted trough with the potential leaning toward it slingshotting from DelMarVa through NJ. The last time this situation happened was Sandy and while I hate to say that, this storm is looking more a threat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=soMdbo4F3eY
post #18 of 20 Old 09-30-2015

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Having done this trip over 50 times both Rich and Johns advice is spot on. I am 53 ft and clear the Cape May Canal Bridge no sweat. Use that advantage leave 1 hour before the tide change and you will have the current assist all the way to the Ssafrass and get there by 6 .

Turner Cove should get you out of the NE winds. If you make exceptional time and can do it use the inside anchorage of Worton Creek. Same distance as going up the Sassafrass and even more protected.

Stay safe and report back

Dave
ottos likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #19 of 20 Old 09-30-2015
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
... My boat is in Island Hieghts ....
Otter, Are you at Nelson's?
post #20 of 20 Old 09-30-2015

As a back up you can bail out at Delaware City marina, just above the C&D canal. On the Delaware end.

Call ahead if you think you may want to do that.

I rode out Irene and Sandy there.

DELAWARE CITY MARINA
DELAWARE CITY MARINA
302 Canal Street
PO Box 278
Delaware City, DE 19706
United States
ph: 302.834.4172
fax: 302.834.5187
alt: VISA MC & Discover
delawarecitymarina

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in