A slave to the wind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 62 Old 10-20-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Re: First sail report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Congrats, learning to sail is fun, on your next sail however remember to bring in the Fenders and leave the bumpers on you car.
Aaaaah nice. Thank you. fenders, fenders, fenders not bumpers

Thank you all for the kind words and sharing. There has been a tremendous amount of reading to this point. A fella' I work with give me the Red Cross book of sailing too. The first time through it made no sense, but after the 4th time reading I learned quite a lot. I'd not been near as successful without my good lookin' helm either.

We're planning to go out again this coming weekend.... hopefully stay the night on the boat and get in 8-12hrs of sailing. Maybe I'll get to roll out the genoa as well.

It finally occurred to me why we stalled, then in irons sailing downwind. I had the main sail on the wrong side the boat. Duh.
post #13 of 62 Old 10-20-2015

I'm in my second season of sailboat ownership and I find new mistakes to make every time I go out. I'm not exaggerating - it's so bad that I gave up drinking beers while sailing. OK, I've given up the fourth , fifth, and sixth beers until back at the dock. I have have not left the motor down, but I have forgotten to close the vent before I tipped it up; gas sloshed out and I didn't have enough to make it back to the dock. I have not dragged line while sailing, but last week I pulled on the halyard before shackling it to the sail. The shackle went to the top of the mast. I had to motor back in, lower the mast to retrieve the shackle.

But, overall, it's been great fun. My regret is that I have not kept a log of all my fruck-ups; I'm sure it would be entertaining some time in the future.

post #14 of 62 Old 10-20-2015

Jwing,

I have been sailing for 32 years.... Every time I go out I make a new mistake.

Greg
post #15 of 62 Old 10-20-2015

Spiral - I'd like to make a recommendation that might save you a expensive or painful, even deadly mistake: Don't sail directly downwind until you get more experience. You can make downwind progress by sailing across the wind while pointing slightly away from the wind. This is called a 'broad reach.' During light wind periods, start practicing 'jibing.' When you get good at jibing, you'll understand how to prevent an accidental jibe. The accidental jibe is a mistake that can be costly.
Remember: if you are sailing downwind and your sail starts to flutter or your boom starts to float around on its own accord, your boat is fixin' to jibe. Modify your heading by turning slightly more into the wind.

Remember this saying: "tiller toward trouble." In this case, the boom is trouble, so you would move your tiller toward the boom. So, if you are running (sailing downwind) on a starboard tack (the boom is over the port and the wind is coming across the boat from the starboard) and the sail starts to luff (flutter) and the boom starts hinting that it might want to swing over, that means that the wind has shifted - it is now coming directly parallel with your boom. Another slight shift will put the wind on the port side of your sail. The sail will slam across the boat, bringing the boom with it. That is an accidental jibe. It might happen so fast that you don't notice the precursors. To avoid the jibe, your strategy is to ensure that the wind stays on the starboard side of the sail. You do that by turning your boat to starboard a bit by moving your tiller to port, or towards trouble, that is: the unstable boom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwing For This Useful Post:
Sparky McBiff (10-26-2015), spiral_72 (10-20-2015)
post #16 of 62 Old 10-20-2015
Battered and Bruised

Congratulations, you'll always remember your first.

SV S.S.R.I
It's my happy pill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 62 Old 10-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_72 View Post
I don't know how long it'll take for that "first time" feeling to go away but I suppose I'll miss it some day. That sure was awesome!
The feeling never goes away, and can be enhanced as you shut that engine off sooner and sooner until you're leaving the slip without using it.

The best sails I have been on were the ones where we were out 2-3 days without using the diesel once. Keep up the good work!! The hands-on learning is the best kind.

~Chris

All sailors are cruisers, but not all cruisers are sailors. A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also try:

(it's new!)
post #18 of 62 Old 10-20-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

jwing: Thank you for the post. I had the unstable boom once on the trip. Luckily I ducked, but this wind was slow and steady no I'm sure it can get a lot worse...... keeping a log of stupid mistakes is an excellent idea

SeaDubya: 3 days without the motor is pretty impressive. Obviously you charge with solar. We have a 5W panel. I'd like to add more but I'm having a hard time adding without cluttering the deck. She's pretty clean now and I'd like to keep it that way.

I did learn another lesson quite by accident. Always keep a sharp knife. We had an Oh poo moment, which was really failure to plan, coming into dock. We'd had a sizable scrape down the hull had I needed to saw through that rope with a dull knife.

..... and I really need to learn my knots.
post #19 of 62 Old 10-20-2015
Catalina 30

Dock

Awesome!
post #20 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

This will be me next spring as well and I can only hope things go well, I don't look like an idiot and the powerboats give me the right of way.

Congrat's on the first sail!

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in