First sail report! - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

Re: First sail report!

Personally, it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing and you could be a danger to yourself or others around you. One of the big gripes I have with this forum is that people enable people like yourself with nice comments rather than a good swift kick in the a** to understand the boats functionality and basic safety measures, like an accidental jibe.

1988 C22 Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Personally, it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing and you could be a danger to yourself or others around you. One of the big gripes I have with this forum is that people enable people like yourself with nice comments rather than a good swift kick in the a** to understand the boats functionality and basic safety measures, like an accidental jibe.
And people like you do nothing but deter others from asking for help. Don't be an ass. Help out with constructive criticism or keep your mouth shut.
Guyfromthenorth likes this.

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.
post #23 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_72 View Post
I'd like to add more but I'm having a hard time adding without cluttering the deck. She's pretty clean now and I'd like to keep it that way.
Luckily our boat has high freeboard, so we have two panels mounted on the stanchions aft quarters that rotate so they can face skyward, be angled toward the sun (on a port/starboard plane), or be flush against the stanchions when docking or rough weather. It's high enough that we don't worry about waves taking them off. The other two panels are mounted on the davits, and can also be rotated slightly to catch morning/evening sun.

Tried to find a photo, but guess I never took a picture of the setup before....

It takes patience and you have to pay attention, but I think weighing anchor under sail only is my favorite sailing maneuver!

~Chris

All sailors are cruisers, but not all cruisers are sailors. A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Also try:

(it's new!)

post #24 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

Quote:

Being a new sailor myself..I will disagree with this comment. That's like telling a child not to go out and try riding his bike and if he falls and gets banged up, so be it..they will learn from it and get better. I am sure spiral_72 has read on an accidental jibe.

I didn't read anything in spiral_72's statements that endangered anybody or anybodies boat. I am imagining there are 1000's of sailors who learned just by studying, trying, asking questions, studying some more, trying it some more and so on and so on.

I don't argue on forums but I will state that I disagree on this one.

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
post #25 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_72 View Post
I'll spare you the horrifying events over the next four hours, but that's when my ignorance showed.
Oh, really everyone is supportive until they crash into your boat while docking, launching, etc...

All i'm saying is that it sounds like some basic instruction "may" help them better control their vessel. maybe ASA 101 or 103 or someone to take them out, some training besides a book and Youtube.

To each there own...

1988 C22 Owner
post #26 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

Quote:
To each there own...
*their

Oooh, criticizing other people is fun!

Azguy knows enough to tell others how to sail. Says not to rely on books. Worked out well for his english skills.

~Chris

All sailors are cruisers, but not all cruisers are sailors. A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Also try:

(it's new!)
post #27 of 62 Old 10-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
I am imagining there are 1000's of sailors who learned just by studying, trying, asking questions, studying some more, trying it some more and so on and so on.
Imagine what the sailing world would be like without those ASA classes for the last thousand years! America probably wouldn't exist. I think I read that on the internet somewhere about Europeans creating the American Sailing Association so they could go discover America.

All joking aside...I'd only been on two sailing trips before I bought my first sailboat. And the wind was so light that we didn't really sail much on either trip; motorsailed mostly. But I was hooked.

Aside from the knowledge I already had in other areas outside of sailing, learning by doing with a little sprinkle of YouTube and Google is all I need. I've never had a class and there is no piece of paper that exists stating my skill level. Go out there and sail. If you mess up, you mess up. Learn from it. If it kills you...eh, we're all gonna die eventually. If you bump someones boat, big whoop. It happens. It's all just stuff anyway. Life is too short to stay in the slip all the time because you haven't got your 100 ton Captains license yet. Sheesh!
Bruce3966 likes this.

~Chris

Also try:

(it's new!)
post #28 of 62 Old 10-21-2015
Windseeker

I agree with both sentiments. People who don't know what they are doing are a danger to those around them and you shouldn't be stopped by the naysayers.

However you will learn a stupendous amount sailing with someone who knows what they are doing and has the ability to impart that knowledge. Youtube helps, as does google, but the interaction with a real life human being is priceless. ASA 101 etc benefit from someone who at least wants to teach others but going out a few times with a friend who can sail might be just as good.

However you do it you will avoid a large amount of frustration, increase your ability to enjoy the experience and reduce the liability to all.

Meanwhile pay careful attention to the weather, and stay a long way from other boats
post #29 of 62 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
.....I don't look like an idiot and the powerboats give me the right of way.....
I suppose your experience will vary but we sailed on a very light traffic day. Power boats we did see were very considerate.

azguy:
Your concerns are valid. I'd have sailed for the first time with or without the internet. I'd have read more books. I really posted this for others to rejoice with me, maybe laugh at the (my) ignorance and help them remember their first time out.
Honestly my mistakes on Friday probably would have happened without ASA courses but I learned valuable "stuff".
#1 wear a floating glasses band lest ye hit your head on the railing while pulling the engine start cord, knock your $820 prescription (I'm not kidding) glasses off, then pay a diver $100 to find them in 15ft deep water.
#2 would have avoided #1.... at least that day...... Test run your engine so you get familiar with it and find things like an idle screw that's set too low killing the engine every time you close the throttle. This made taxiing to the dock frustrating for the sixteen times I started the engine....

All, we're hoping to go out Friday, clear - low winds, spend the night onboard (cool ) and sail Saturday till about 2pm, clear 6-8mph winds.
post #30 of 62 Old 10-21-2015
Remember you're a womble

Powerboats will never give you right of way because it doesn't exist. Although you can mostly figure out sailing by trying it out, the rules of the road with regards to stand-on etc is something you must learn - it is when you are encountering other vessels that people can start to get hurt. Other water users need to be (relatively) confident that other water users understand who needs to what in a particular situation, it makes life much easier and more relaxing. Please read and understand colregs.
jwing likes this.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in