First sail report! - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 62 Old 10-21-2015
Banned

Re: First sail report!

Oh hell yeah!!

This one's going in the Hall of Fame. This is what it's all about Spiral.

Congrats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 Old 10-22-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Smackdaddy: HA! thanks man. We're packing it up to try again tomorrow. YEA!
post #33 of 62 Old 10-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_72 View Post
Smackdaddy: HA! thanks man. We're packing it up to try again tomorrow. YEA!
Make sure you have someone take pictures!

1984 MacGregor 25

I don't know what I'm doing.

post #34 of 62 Old 10-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral_72 View Post
...Sunday we drove back to the slip, I guess to regain our dignity and try again...
Sometimes it's best to keep the dignity stowed while operating around the dock.
post #35 of 62 Old 10-24-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

My wife and I sailed Friday from about 11pm (EDIT: A.M.) until the wind quit about 4:30. There's not much to report on Friday. We sailed out about 3 miles while trying to fine tune our skills (yea right). It wasn't overly exciting but nothing really bad happened either.

We ate a local restaurant about 1/2 mile away from the dock... turned on the bluetooth speaker and slept comfortably on the boat which was actually pretty nice. The cabin held the heat of the day nicely. I didn't have to start the heater.

Saturday I launched about 10:30am, motored out about 200 yards and raised the main, then the jib..... run through a few tacks then something really amazing happened. I wish I had the words for this, I let some of the mainsail out and let it take an actual form, the best I could approximate in some of the diagrams.... I steered around in the wind trying to improve on what I was doing. Keep in mind the fastest we've sailed MIGHT be 1.5-2knots though we didn't check.. just creeping.
The short story is the boat heeled over, I swear in my mind I heard the boat groan as the rigging, mast and sails loaded. I no kidding felt the boat accelerate, the bow lifted and there she went to 4knots. I fell out of the groove, found it again, the boat heeled - lifted and we sped to 7knots. I'm sure people heard me laugh all over the lake.

Sailing today was intense. I took one picture, best I could with the tiller held between my legs.
Attached Thumbnails
oct242015 sailing.jpg  
smackdaddy, Ward H and SeaDubya like this.

Last edited by spiral_72; 10-24-2015 at 09:56 PM.
post #36 of 62 Old 10-24-2015

Spiral,
I like reading about a new sailor's experiences. We've all been there at one time. Sounds like your having fun and going at it slow, which is the main thing.
I just finished my third season, leaving the dock 38 times for 1 to 4 hours sailing each trip. I learned something new each time out. I keep a digital log using my iPad to record info about each trip. Each log ends with a "Lessons Learned" section and I find something to put in the section each time out.

I don't care how many books you read or lessons you take, the first time out on YOUR boat will always be exciting and things will happen, like your iPhone clipped to your belt will catch on a shroud as you move past it, flipping the phone through the air. Lesson learned was not to wear my iPhone when on the boat. I now put all my personnels into a bag so nothing can drop out of my pockets. Luckily, that time a shroud sent my iPhone flying I was on the hard so it was recovered with minimal damage.

Glad to hear your having fun!
post #37 of 62 Old 10-24-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

A quick question please. In the image I took above:
https://www.sailnet.com/forums/attach...15-sailing.jpg

The jib sheets rub on the shroud as does the jib itself. Both are getting frayed, obviously not good.
I have to order a block for each side for the black....ummmm.... traveler thing down each side of the cabin. Just by looking at it I don't think that will correct the problem entirely or at all. I'm thinking about putting a small diameter plastic pipe maybe 6ft long on the outboard shroud to keep the chafing to a minimum and maybe keep it from hanging.

Does anyone have a better idea? Thank you,
post #38 of 62 Old 10-24-2015
Remember you're a womble

The port sheet in that photo should have no tension on it at all so chafe should not be an issue. If you were local to me, I'd offer to spend a few hours with you showing you the basics, you'd learn a lot more in that time than figuring it out (likely wrongly) as you went along, and you'd likely need to spend a lot less on replacing things you broke

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 62 Old 10-24-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

PaulinVictoria, the sheet in the picture does not have tension, the end was laying on the seat in the cockpit ready for me to wrap around the winch for the next tack. The lazy sheet stretches across the shroud while the jib is inflated on the opposite side, then when I tack, I pull the lazy sheet across that shroud until the jib inflates on the port side in the picture. At that point the starboard sheet, lazy sheet stretches across the shroud and until the next tack and.....

I guess I am missing something and just need to look at it again. Or maybe I can add a pair of blocks far up on the deck.
I thought at one time running the sheet inside the shrouds, but then they wrap the shroud outward to the jib.

...that seemed like a lot of ineffective words. I'm not sure that was a clear description at all.

EDIT: I dunno, all these rub on the shroud
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sail...22349/main.jpg
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sail...9744/photo.jpg
https://nesr.files.wordpress.com/201...on-s-fore3.jpg

Last edited by spiral_72; 10-25-2015 at 12:10 AM.
post #40 of 62 Old 10-25-2015
Remember you're a womble

Don't pull the sail across, let the wind do the work for you. Keep the working sheet tensioned as you start the turn, as the sail luffs, release the working sheet and once the sail is past the mast and starting to catch the wind on the other side, pull in the new sheet and trim. There shouldn't ever be a tensioned sheet against the shroud that way.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in