First sail report! - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 62 Old 10-26-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Re: First sail report!

PaulinVictoria:
Let the wind pull the sail across. Thank you sir. I'll try that. On a few occasions that happened by accident.... meaning it happened before I could get to the sheet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 Old 10-26-2015
Administrator

A couple quick thoughts here:

First of all Spiral,

Do not let anyone dampen your enthusiasm. We all learn to sail in our own ways. There is no one size fits all way right way to learn to sail. My family and I learned to sail back in the 1960's when there wasn't ASA courses or an internet. We read a book called "The Golden Book of Sailing", which was very simple and similar to the Red Cross book that you read. We went on to read a lot more over time.

My Dad then bought a 25 footer, and the first day that we went out, we did not know enough to realize just how much of wildly gusty day it was. My Dad had the sense to put the small jib on the boat, out we went, raised the jib and mainsail, and went sailing. It would be easy to argue that we probably should not have been out there. It was a day when the America's Cup 12 meter 'Constellation' lost her mast near where we were sailing. And at one point we jibed over in what was probably around 20 knots of wind to stand station with a 'Dragon', which had broken its boom until a powerboat took him in tow.

Like you, my Dad was methodical as he tried each new thing. We actually safely jibed in those conditions. I still recall that as we were jibing and as my father did each step of the jibe, he verbally described the process just as he had learned it from the book; turn almost down wind, hobble the jib (tighten the jib sheets on both sides of the boat to center the clew of the jib), bring in the mainsail, turn slowly across the wind, let out the mainsheet slowly once it crosses, and then ease the weather jib sheet. A big grin crossed his face as we turned up to our new course on the other side of the jibe and roared off towards the boat in trouble.

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things; you are taking it slow and carefully-one step at a time, you are reading, you bought a boat which is small enough and responsive enough and a model which sails well enough that it will tell you when you are making mistakes, you are being introspective enough to learn from your mistakes and also learn from what you did right, you are reaching out to more experienced sailors with questions and comments so that you can benefit from their collective knowledge, and you have kept your sense of humor. You should feel very good about what you have done so far.

Regarding putting covers or rollers on your outboard shrouds, it can be done, but it should not be necessary. When the jib sheet leads (the blocks on the tracks in the foreground of your photo) are in the correct position, and the sail is adjusted properly, the loaded side of the sail should barely touch (or not touch at all) the leeward shroud. In other words, there should not be chafe. No matter what you do, there will be a little friction as the jib and its sheets slide over the shrouds during a tack. But if you learn to coil the sheets so they are free to run, wait until the jib starts to luff and completely release the old working sheet from the winch so it is completely free to run, allow the jib to blow through as suggested above, taking the slack out of the new working sheet as it comes across, then tacking will be easier and you should not require covers or rollers on your shrouds.

Do not be afraid to do things a step at a time. Do not worry that you don't do things perfectly, even us old dogs do silly things at times, but pay attention to what you are doing, don't get cavalier and go with you instincts if something seems dangerous, don't do it. We are all rooting for you, even the naysayers.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 10-26-2015 at 02:13 PM.
post #43 of 62 Old 10-26-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Disclaimer (ignorance?)

I've been doing some more reading which leads me to a disclaimer about my previous stated speed of 7 knots. A few sources I read say 7knots would be rare. Supposedly 1.34*SQRT(LWL) = maximum hull speed which is about 6knots.

Maybe I did something wrong? My GPS reads 8mph which is obviously ground speed, doesn't read decimals so I don't know if that was 7.50mph or 8.49mph. So the disclaimer is 7knots = 8mph GPS ground speed maximum attained, not average. I was sailing into the wind, probably close reach. If I find out I did something wrong I'll edit my previous post.

Jeff_H:
Thank you sir. That was extremely helpful both technically and encouraging!

Last edited by spiral_72; 10-26-2015 at 11:11 AM.

post #44 of 62 Old 10-26-2015
Administrator

8 mph= 6.95 knots which is a pretty unlikely speed for a SJ-23 close reaching; 4 to maybe 5 knots would be more likely if you were optimized and in the right breeze you might hit 6 knots. I would not worry about speed at this point. There is time for that. I don't know why your GPS read as it did since its unlikely that there would be current in a lake.

I think that I may have sailed a regatta on Lake Murray back in the 1970's. Are there vertical inlets that rise out of the lake not too far from a small sailing club?

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #45 of 62 Old 10-26-2015

I got goose bumps reading about your last sail!
post #46 of 62 Old 10-26-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Personally, it sounds like you have no idea what you are doing and you could be a danger to yourself or others around you. One of the big gripes I have with this forum is that people enable people like yourself with nice comments rather than a good swift kick in the a** to understand the boats functionality and basic safety measures, like an accidental jibe.

Oh please, get over yourself, they are having fun sailing and learning.

1977 Bristol 29.9 #17
A slave to the wind
post #47 of 62 Old 10-26-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

XSrcing: HA! That's great. I'm glad my redneck rant was effective.

I plan to research controlling the mainsheet some more.... and learn a few knots before this weekend. The slip expires so we'll be bringing the SJ23 back home Saturday after another outing. I've got my eye on Lake Jocassee and maybe Keowee which are 30 and 25 miles closer to home and both off the interstate which my old Dodge should appreciate. I can't say at the moment how many times we'll sail over the winter but it'd be an opportune time to recover the 35 year old upholstery, rewire the solar charger and either install a chart plotter or fix the knotmeter and depth finder. I'm told the original knotmeters never worked that well anyway.

Till later.
post #48 of 62 Old 10-26-2015

Dude, you sail on a lake. Don't waste money on a chartplotter. Learn to read a chart. That money can be better spent on many other things. Most lakes you can learn by heart in a few hours unless of course your on the Great Lakes. Learn to sail without all the electronic gizmos. It will serve you well in the future. Trust me.
jwing likes this.
post #49 of 62 Old 10-27-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Bleemus:

an objective argument that clears my head of fancy electronic gizmos. Thank you sir, as you have pointed out that would be a bit of an overkill wouldn't it?

I'd really like to fix or replace the depth sounder. It seems that may be a worthy investment, or a preventative measure for incompetence.
post #50 of 62 Old 10-27-2015

Good choice. Depth sounder and speedo are great tools that are inexpensive and not prone to failure. Spend the money you save on the chartplotter and get a good chart, dividers and parallel rules.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in