34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 62 Old 10-28-2015

Re: First sail report!

How about some inexpensive PCV rather than blocks that won't help
Attached Thumbnails
Finished port 2.jpg  

1988 C22 Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 62 Old 10-28-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Azguy

Thank you sir. That's a beautiful boat!
I have some short pieces on the shrouds that come on the boat, however they need to be much longer, maybe 4ft.

I'll do it. It'll be some safety until I get the blocks on, or get a proper technique.
post #53 of 62 Old 10-31-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

We had a nice fairly relaxing day sailing today. The winds were low, <=4mph while maximum cruising speed for the day was 4.1mph according to a gps/boat application my wife downloaded on her phone. We only made it out 3.5 miles then turned back as the sun set.

We sailed on a run all the way back to the dock. I had a hard time convincing my wife we were moving No wind, no wake, the waves stood still beside the boat, just dead calm. We did cover the distance back in record time however since jibes weren't required. I tuned on the sails for some time eventually giving up on and putting away the jib since it wouldn't stay inflated. 2-2.7mph on a run.... had a couple unintentional boom swings on the run while steering around in the wind for efficiency, but I anticipated this, so we were ready for it. I didn't get out the spinnaker since I know nothing about it's setup.

We loaded the SJ23 on the trailer and brought her home since the previous owner's slip expires tomorrow. I'll look around another, maybe on Lake Murray, but I'd like to sail a couple of the other lakes around here first. Besides, that particular slip was a dump.

We're going to take a break for a couple weekends. I'll be reading and researching as much as possible until then. We have quite a list of people that want to go out for a sail.
Attached Thumbnails
1031151559.jpg  

post #54 of 62 Old 10-31-2015 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Oh, man overboard drills next time out now that the basics have been realized(?). This is very important to me.
jwing likes this.
post #55 of 62 Old 05-17-2016 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Revive an old post! Really this is to let all the nice people that have offered advice know we're still alive and still have the SJ23.

We took her out the last weekend. It took a little long for the first sail this year as we replaced all the wood on the deck, the motor mount, added a depth finder with GPS, replaced the annoying cabinway split panels with two lift off hinged doors and replaced all the cushion foam and upholstery during this spring. There's still a lot to do.

We really sailed in wind too high for our skill level, but we realized some record speeds and had some fun. My head met the boom for the first time and we covered a LOT of water, at least a lot more than we're used to. Weather permitting, we'll take her out again this weekend.

I really like this hobby. It's not quite as relaxing as I thought, but we'll get there.
Faster likes this.
post #56 of 62 Old 05-18-2016

Congratulations. I've been working on my 16 foot boat getting it ready to go in the water. In June we are going to Vancouver British Columbia for a cruise and learn sailing Charter on a 31 foot Hunter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20151018_173522-1_1463577127611.jpg  
seabeau likes this.

Last edited by midwesterner; 05-18-2016 at 09:28 AM.
post #57 of 62 Old 05-18-2016

Hey spiral_72 glad you are enjoying sailing. A suggestion to you is when you are talking about distances and speeds you should use nautical terminology, you should be speaking the same language as other sailors. So you should refer to wind or boat speed in knots (nautical miles per hour), and you should refer to distances in nm or nautical miles. You and your posts will be better received if people feel you are speaking their language. So if your GPS has boat or nautical mode you should make sure the speed and distance units are set for knots and nm so you can get used to referring to your speed and the wind conditions in these terms and set your own mental frame of reference in terms of what ten knots of wind, or 4 knots of boat speed, feel or look like.
post #58 of 62 Old 05-19-2016 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Congratulations. I've been working on my 16 foot boat getting it ready to go in the water. In June we are going to Vancouver British Columbia for a cruise and learn sailing Charter on a 31 foot Hunter.
June huh? Man that sounds fantastic! That's close enough now you should be hyped!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeterrier View Post
......A suggestion to you is when you are talking about distances and speeds you should use nautical terminology.....
Ah! A very good point. Thank you. I'll try to do that. Nautical units of measurement mean nothing to me.... now. I suppose it's time to fix that
post #59 of 62 Old 06-18-2016 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

A great day sailing today. This morning I made pancakes on the Coleman stove with a topping of local fresh peaches. The weather was nice at about 85F, cloudy, winds 7-15mph with some heavy gusts, but steady throughout the day. The wind was heaviest in the morning. Near as I can tell we covered 8.4 mile in 3.5hrs past Dreher Island (finally). We anchored in a nice cove which I later found out was Shealy airport on Lake Murray, had lunch then decided to head back about 2pm. With the wind at are backs, mainsail only we sailed to the dock realizing a GPS top speed of 5.9knot (6.8mph), with an average of roughly 4.5 knot (5.2mph). That's rolling if you ask me! back in ahead of schedule.
post #60 of 62 Old 06-23-2016 Thread Starter
The new guy around here

Probably be my last post to this thread. I've gleaned quite a lot of knowledge from it. Thank you to you all!

Tomorrow I plan to sail the farthest yet at 15 miles to a sail club on Murray. The decision come from frustration where I currently rent a slip. Power boats go through at 50mph and my boat is getting all beat up, besides we've had some close calls when docking from the waves so I'm out. The winds are supposed to be favorable, sailing down wind with 8mph winds. The weather is calling for 96F - 100F which I'm not overly excited about.

Thank you again!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in