Followed hull polishing step to a "T" but...... - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 10-20-2015 Thread Starter

Followed hull polishing step to a "T" but......

not too happy-----------we had a nice 70 degree day in Michigan so I decided to tackle the hull some more before winter sets in. Washed with NSF, compounded with 3M compounding, washed again, then 3M Finesse 2 and then wiped with denatured alcohol--not happy. I have seen other boats just shine after the first 2 steps (compound and Finesse) but not mine. I know the Finesse has a chemical in it to make the boat not look shiny but several others say to wipe with denatured alcohol to get the shine back before the final Collinite wax so I did that as well.

Mine is not shiny after the Finesse step but I did try a 2x2 section with the Collinate wax (I should have not bought the paste version) and it's pretty shiny so maybe it's OK.

Just wondering if others use a Makita for the final 3'rd wax step and if so, what wax do you use (just curious) and what speeds are you using on your polisher (I bought the Makita 9227).

*I know by the photo its hard to tell but that's it after compound and Finesse and wiped with denatured alcohol.
Attached Thumbnails
Boat after compound & paste steps.jpg  

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce3966 For This Useful Post:
jason357 (10-25-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-21-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Re: Followed hull polishing step to a "T" but......

Follow these instructions, which can be found here:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...olish-wax.html

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #3 of 20 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyJ View Post
Follow these instructions, which can be found here:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...olish-wax.html
I did. These are the ones I used. I am very happy with the compounding stage using 3M but not the 3M Finesse II stage and even after wiping down the hull with denatured alcohol. My next step is to try one section of semi-high speed buffing with a wool pad on the hull as it sits and see if the Finesse 2 gets shiny. If it does, problem solved and I will then finish with Collinite Wax.

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce3966 For This Useful Post:
jason357 (10-21-2015)

post #4 of 20 Old 10-21-2015
Old enough to know better

I would try a spot with the Collinite to see, the alcohol can leave a pretty streaky/flat finish but should clean up with the wax. You won't loose anything as it will get taken off by the polisher if you feel it needs more. You might want to try a bit more aggressive finishing polish. I have had good luck with Meguiar's swirl mark remover. I happened to notice Meguiar's "ultimate compound" happens to be on clearance at Target, might be worth the few bucks to try it as well.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-21-2015
2005 Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
I did. These are the ones I used.
I'll just add that I've found that if I rush the wet sanding part, not thoroughly using each grade of sand paper down to 2000 grit, I get results that are splotchy. After wet sanding the hull should almost shine without any buffing.

Also, get the best sanding block you can buy when doing the wet sanding. Using a cheap block or your bare hands will not produce the best results.

“Any fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.” -Sir Francis Chichester
post #6 of 20 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter

I have been trying different things for the last few hours. I first wiped down the hull again with denatured alcohol which took off some of the Finesse. I then put on the 3M lambs wool pad and did a high speed buff with the edge of the pad just in one area and it made a huge difference but not SUPER shiny as others have posted pictures of after Finesse. I then went to the stern where I had not used the Finesse yet and just did two coats of Collinite on that to see what finish I would get and it's nice and 90% better than it was due to neglect but not NEARLY as shiny as I see other boats.

Sucks to live in the Midwest where you are limited for time to work. Last warm day here. Was hoping to have the hull done by Sunday so I can wrap up some other stuff before I need to think about covering the boat.

Oh and I was going to wet sand but decided against it after reading others state that unless your hull is SUPER bad, don't bother. Maybe I should have but I really think I am doing something incorrectly with the Finesse stage. I told my wife come hell or high water, the boat is launching next spring.

1985 O'Day 26'

Last edited by Bruce3966; 10-21-2015 at 03:48 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
I did. These are the ones I used. I am very happy with the compounding stage using 3M but not the 3M Finesse II stage and even after wiping down the hull with denatured alcohol. My next step is to try one section of semi-high speed buffing with a wool pad on the hull as it sits and see if the Finesse 2 gets shiny. If it does, problem solved and I will then finish with Collinite Wax.
Probably can help. Please describe the wet sanding process - step by step - before you turned to compounding.

Charles
post #8 of 20 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwin View Post
Probably can help. Please describe the wet sanding process - step by step - before you turned to compounding.

Charles
I didn't wet sand.

1985 O'Day 26'

post #9 of 20 Old 10-21-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I would try a spot with the Collinite to see, the alcohol can leave a pretty streaky/flat finish but should clean up with the wax. You won't loose anything as it will get taken off by the polisher if you feel it needs more. You might want to try a bit more aggressive finishing polish. I have had good luck with Meguiar's swirl mark remover. I happened to notice Meguiar's "ultimate compound" happens to be on clearance at Target, might be worth the few bucks to try it as well.
Oh I forgot to say, I tried Collinite over the Finesse after I cleaned up the hull with denatured alcohol. All the wax did was make the Finesse goop show up more. I did wipe down the hull again with denatured alcohol and i ts better so maybe I just have to do that some more and then wax however, so far no matter what I try the hull isn't shiny as others I have seen. I'll be living and learning this process for several years I assume. It doesn't help that I tore my rotator cuff about a month ago either.

1985 O'Day 26'

post #10 of 20 Old 10-21-2015

You will not get the result you are after if you do not sand. Review Maine Sail's instructions and note he includes wet sanding before any compounding. Suggest you try wet sanding on a limited section to 1500 grit. Then to compound only after you reach 1500.

I assume you are using a Makita variable speed or equal for your compounding and polish. Remember pad rotation when compounding is pretty slow.

Compound is white wool, polish is foam or yellow wool. No compound pads for polish keep the pads separate.

Wax is by hand - sponge and microfibre only - no machine.

Let us know where you stand after sanding to 1500 and compound but before you go to poilish/wax

Charles

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in