Sleeping with the heat on... - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 59 Old 10-29-2015
Banned

Re: Sleeping with the heat on...

My last stove built 31 years ago , which I gave a friend, just had the type 400 stainless top and back rust out, after burning only salty beach wood the entire time . The type 316 parts are as good as the day I built it, altho blacker.
I find that even mild steel stoves are not all that much affected by salty wood, as they are too dry for any reaction much of the time.
There are far greater environmental impacts to be caused by urban living ,than any you would cause by burning beach wood.Look at the oil slicks in parking lots. You could go for "Clean' electric heat, while tied to the dock, powered by coal fired generating stations. Just living aboard instead of ashore, reduces your environmental impact drastically, regardless of what kind of heating you can afford.
I read in last Octobers National Geographic, that most western US homes use 250 gallons of water a day, per person. How long does that much water last the average cruiser or liveaboard.The list of differences in environmental impact goes on.
Your stove and chimney should be tight enough to protect the occupants from any such consequences.

At any rate, for living aboard a stock plastic boat in cooler climes, comfortably, you have to add a lot of extra insulation, as almost all stock plastic boats are extremely poorly insulated. If properly insulated, a boat can be the most comfortable, driest home you ever lived in. If not, you are doing something wrong.
Tiny tots are far too tiny to be useful, in any cool climes. You need a firebox which will run for many hours, without refueling.
Sponsering the Exon Valdes's or the strip mining of coal is far less environmentally friendly than burning beach wood.
skygazer likes this.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-29-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 Old 10-29-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
How about a 12 volt electric blanket? This example is just a random find. 6.7amps, presumably on high, would be doable, if you have a decent sized house bank and recharging ability. Not sure if it's just a wives tale that the EMF from these things is bad.

Amazon.com: Roadpro 12-Volt 100% Polar Fleece Heated Travel Blanket: Automotive
I was thinking about an electric blanket while motoring in winter, powered by an inverter, which is powered by my alternator. When I get to my destination ,turn my motor off, and no longer have the power, my bunk will be super warm when I jump in it.
post #43 of 59 Old 10-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

Having owned a Fisher Grampa Bear wood stove at home for two decades, I'm now glad it has been replaced with a vent free gas log stove that does a great job of heating my family room and much of the house during the dead of winter.
All th ebest,

Gary
There is no such thing as a vent free gas fireplace. These should instead be called "exhaust to living room fireplaces" but I think the Madison ave crowd found that didn't sell so well....

~fortunat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Brent Swain likes this.

post #44 of 59 Old 10-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmueller View Post
There is no such thing as a vent free gas fireplace. These should instead be called "exhaust to living room fireplaces" but I think the Madison ave crowd found that didn't sell so well....

~fortunat

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Wanna bet?

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...ces/c-6852.htm

Brent, I like the idea of an electric blanket. They draw very little current and really do a great job of keeping you warm on the coldest nights. When I was young, I had a better way of keeping warm. Now we have a king size bed, so cheek to cheek is as close as it gets.

I just looked up the power consumption of an electric blanket, and a queen sized, dual control blanket draws about 50 watts per side. A single, full size draws about 75 watts maximum, but most people run than at a half power, which would be great for keeping warm on most cold nights. Additionally, they are thermostatically controlled and turn on and off with very little surge. Great idea, Brent. Wish I would have thought of that when I was freezing my buns off heading down the ICW three years ago. One will be going on the boat before next fall.

Gary

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited by travlin-easy; 10-29-2015 at 09:04 PM.
post #45 of 59 Old 10-29-2015

I have been using an electric blanket, most of the time in the slip but when I'm out overnight running the engine for 30 minutes with the inverter on gets the bed toasty enough. I also open the engine panel and that in itself keeps the boat above freezing for the night

Long term cruising I have no experience so no comment but I have to say, the feel and look of wood is pretty sexy I say go South otherwise if you can.

Shawn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 59 Old 10-29-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Here's a pretty cool stove made up in Canada.
Cubic Mini Wood Stoves - Mini wood stoves

Dickson mentions not to burn saltwater driftwood in their manual because it rots the stove out, that makes sense.
Whoa! Those look great! Tiny, airtight, cheap, wall mountable and affordable!

I'll sleep on it, but I'm probably buying one as soon as I can figure out where to put it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 59 Old 10-30-2015

Guys, check post #17. You don't need to invert an electric blanket from your house bank, just buy a 12v blanket. No invertor loss.
Brent Swain likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #48 of 59 Old 10-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
.... There are far greater environmental impacts to be caused by urban living ,than any you would cause by burning beach wood........
While a loose comparison, it may be true. I believe it anyway.

Nevertheless, the issue that's been raised is that the chlorine molecules in salt water soaked driftwood can create neurotoxins and carcinogens when burned. That's worth giving careful consideration, especially in a small closed environment, like a boat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #49 of 59 Old 10-30-2015

It appears that the 12-volt electric blankets draw 50 to 75-watts, however, they tend to be a bit smaller than the household models that draw the same amount of current at 115-volts. The prices are about the same.

My inverter draws no current unless something is plugged into it. Yes, I have checked it out.

All the best,

Gary
post #50 of 59 Old 10-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
...There are far greater environmental impacts to be caused by urban living, than any you would cause by burning beach wood. Look at the oil slicks in parking lots. You could go for "Clean' electric heat, while tied to the dock, powered by coal fired generating stations. Just living aboard instead of ashore, reduces your environmental impact drastically, regardless of what kind of heating you can afford.

...Sponsoring the Exon Valdes's or the strip mining of coal is far less environmentally friendly than burning beach wood.
I agree, I'm amazed that city dwellers are so radically (and theoretically) environmental. What do I know, I raise a lot of my food organically, have my own lines of genetics, save my own seed, and really like cows. Plus I eat deer, bear, moose and turkeys. It is almost impossible to garden organically without manure, which requires livestock, which requires eating meat and dairy.

I went to visit a friend in Nova Scotia and found the entire valley was missing, strip mined. Huge machines that looked like dinosaurs in the dawn light, parked in a wasteland that looked like the painted desert without the colors. I can't describe how it made me feel, I used to go there all the time. Rich bottom land, pheasants, foxes etc. I'm not against coal, just strip mining without any effort at reclamation. Many of my friends worked the mines, they lost their jobs to strip mining.
Brent Swain likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in