What to do with sailing books - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 11-11-2015
You really are funny!!

Re: What to do with sailing books

I should add as an addendum to my prior post that there may indeed be an argument for "composting" heads in the sense of being an alternative to traditional heads. If a person goes in knowing the reality and limitations, and the fact that what you're doing is drying your poop and reducing it's volume by 80/90% while mixing in with some sort of medium, an argument can be made for it.

Conflating what you're actually doing with traditional composting though is a bad idea imo, as you're deluding yourself to the reality of it. If you want a simple and relatively low maintenance way to deal with your poop and you're willing to go through the hassle of diverting your pee and emptying the thing manually frequently, then maybe it's a solution for you.

We were/are never the types to make a decision then go down with the ship at all costs just because we made the decision to begin with. If something sucks, you gotta just pony up and admit it, fix it, then move on. I once supported composting boat heads wholeheartedly, then I actually bought and used one. It is what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 11-11-2015

I guess that can be filed under the same heading as "A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged."
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.
post #33 of 41 Old 11-12-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Comparisons of a composting head and a garden compost pile are difficult. I have a garden compost pile and it takes months to really break down the various food/garden items.The head compost is much, much more conducive to breaking down, especially when aerated regularly. I was doubtful at first but quite surprised at the rapidity of the process.

The largest problem I see is in making sure no #1 gets mixed in with the composting material. This, of course, is more difficult for the "opposite" sex:-). If it happens, it means an immediate 100% cleanout. The smell from waste comes from the mix of #1 and #2. The #2 and coconut coir (or peat) create virtually no obnoxious odor. I have found that I don't even need the little fan I built in.

Anyway, thread drift has occurred and if mods want to start yet another composting head thread......

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

post #34 of 41 Old 11-12-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Anyway, thread drift has occurred and if mods want to start yet another composting head thread......
Did the lack of a holding tank free up some space for your guns?
post #35 of 41 Old 11-12-2015

Baltimore has an interesting place called Book Thing. The concept is very simple: they have free books and you can take whatever you want. They have some sort of checkout process but it's just a simple administrative thing.

Not surprisingly, they also accept free books. I dropped off several boxes there when I was doing a major house cleanout.
post #36 of 41 Old 11-13-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I could rant on it but I won't. I will briefly say that a tiny composting head (the kind you can do on a boat) is nothing more than a glorified 5 gallon bucket for $800.00 that very slightly dries your deposit, and if you're lucky, separates most of your pee (to dump overboard separately) so it doesn't reek quite as bad in the interim before dumping it. That's it.

What people need to know is you come nowhere near composting with a Natures Head or Air Head. Not even close. All you do is (if you're lucky) somewhat dehydrate your poo before dumping it. Boat composting heads are poop dehydrators. Nothing more.

If one is considering a boat composting head, I'd say save your money and put it towards other more useful items. Just crap a bucket with a toilet seat mounted to it, then chuck it in a dumpster when full. Much cheaper for the very same effect.
This is really interesting, as I just received the Nov/Dec issue of Good Old Boat. On Page 70 is a letter to the editor (Mail buoy) titled "Holding Tank Harmony." I don't want to post the letter, as you can read it in GOB, but the salient points are this; the author who is from Hull, MA, feels that the composting head is the best thing he has added to his boat. The composting head was installed for the 2014 season, and since May 2015 he lives aboard during the work week. As of August "it is nowhere near full." He admits to carrying a second urine reservoir for ease of use.

I'm not doubting chrisnkate's first hand experience, and I have no intention of installing a composting head. Nor am I debating their dislike of the composting head. However, it seems to me that owners either love or hate them, and there is no in between.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 41 Old 11-13-2015
Beyond The Pale

This discussion about Books has gone right into the

¨Erindipity
eherlihy likes this.
post #38 of 41 Old 11-13-2015
You really are funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
This is really interesting, as I just received the Nov/Dec issue of Good Old Boat. On Page 70 is a letter to the editor (Mail buoy) titled "Holding Tank Harmony." I don't want to post the letter, as you can read it in GOB, but the salient points are this; the author who is from Hull, MA, feels that the composting head is the best thing he has added to his boat. The composting head was installed for the 2014 season, and since May 2015 he lives aboard during the work week. As of August "it is nowhere near full." He admits to carrying a second urine reservoir for ease of use.

I'm not doubting chrisnkate's first hand experience, and I have no intention of installing a composting head. Nor am I debating their dislike of the composting head. However, it seems to me that owners either love or hate them, and there is no in between.
Agreed that people love or hate them. Not much middle ground.

My theory is some folks get married to an idea and once they commit, are unwilling to admit failure as they are invested in it. That, or they are confusing dehydrators with composters and are willfully ignorant for whatever reason.

To at least make a stab at on topic, give those books to a marina lending library....
post #39 of 41 Old 11-14-2015

Most of the marinas I stopped at along the ICW had a give one - take one policy for books, and most had thousands of nautical books on hand. I know of one cruiser that picked up a nearly new copy of the ICW Cruising Guide and traded it for a copy of Moby Dick. Damned good deal if you ask me.

As for my library, they're free for anyone that wants them. All you have to do is pick them up. Chris & Cate did this a couple years ago and they went home with a big load of US Civil War books written by individuals that actually were combatants during that war. Most of my books have something to do with US and World history, though I have a crap load of nautical books as well. Just PM me if you're interested.

Gary
post #40 of 41 Old 11-14-2015
arrgh!

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Most of the marinas I stopped at along the ICW had a give one - take one policy for books, and most had thousands of nautical books on hand. I know of one cruiser that picked up a nearly new copy of the ICW Cruising Guide and traded it for a copy of Moby Dick. Damned good deal if you ask me.

As for my library, they're free for anyone that wants them. All you have to do is pick them up. Chris & Cate did this a couple years ago and they went home with a big load of US Civil War books written by individuals that actually were combatants during that war. Most of my books have something to do with US and World history, though I have a crap load of nautical books as well. Just PM me if you're interested.

Gary

One of the things I think about in these trades -- at a marina... is that people never think to put a non-obvious book... I would guess the "Traveling Pants" series might seem out of place, but there might be readers who might like something different.

In the middle of the Adirondacks, sailing isn't that big, but I figure.. drop my sailing magazines at the laundromats ...

a Laundromat might be a good place to put a couple sailing books

Vector X Y

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in