Watermaker plans - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-17-2015 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Watermaker plans

Who has a fairly recent set of water maker plans with component part numbers and websites of suppliers of them that they are willing to share?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-18-2015 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Re: Watermaker plans

No one? What if I say that AC has it and WG doesn't?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-18-2015
Barquito

I'm sure you have come across this info, but, here is a thread that lists some suppliers:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ker-plans.html

Valiant 32

post #4 of 25 Old 11-18-2015
Master Mariner

I built my 32+ gph, watermaker from scratch, for right around 2k.
First thing I did was locate a pump. They're by far the most expensive item. It took about two months of dedicated searching, but I finally found virtually new one at a very good price.
Then I went online and found half a dozen diagrams from various manufacturers and consolidated their best features into the system I wanted to build. Some specialized parts I got from Cruise RO Water & Power, others I searched out myself, including the membrane.
A little tweaking over the years and I'm really happy with my 2k system, and the other $3500 was well spent otherwheres.
Rich with Cruise RO Water is incredibly helpful even if you aren't a customer, should you need help. He can also supply the specialized parts that might be better bought from a company that has already researched their suitability for this purpose.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 25 Old 11-18-2015

If you are going to drive it with the engine a small triplex pump and one of the RO filters listed in the link above should work great. Your chief problem will probably be limiting the pressure produced by the pump.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-19-2015

Three or four years ago GOB had two issues dedicated to DIY water makers with parts list.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-19-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I'm sure you have come across this info, but, here is a thread that lists some suppliers:

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ker-plans.html
Do consider to follow Leo Lichtfeld's description and plans, as they are spot on.
For long term cruising; and for commentary for a 6 year upgrade to my comments in that previous thread, consider .....
A BRONZE head high pressure pump.....
Carry extra high pressure gages, those stainless steel gages for high pressure sea water will only last 3-4 years in seawater.

Id also recommend that if you do DIY build, you also download Filmtec's Operation and Maintenance manual so that you can 'restore/regenerate' the membrane when bio-fouled and needing sanitization. Such chemicals (peracetic acid + hydrogen peroxide, and sodium hydroxide) can be 'dangerous' if you dont have the chemical 'safety' expertise. A commercial source of the peracetic/H202 is found under the brand name 'Minncare' and such 'cleaning' needs chemical 'dip sticks' to be sure/verify that this chemical is flushed entirely after sanitization.
eg.: http://inaqua.de/Prod/nano/pdf_en/02.1_Cleaning.pdf

Placing the highpressure pump ON the engine, needs a very strong mounting, one that can withstand the constant engine vibration. Without such consideration, your 'mounting' will be quite vulnerable to metal fatigue.
I would also recommend an automatic belt tensioner for an engine mounted pump system (McMaster-Carr, etc.).

I would also strong suggest that the chosen water feed pump to the high pressure pump be rated for 'continuous duty' service as if the pressure pump is not continually supplied with water .... it will instantly burn out and destroy itself.

Most of the components can be found on eBay, etc. if youre patient. Typically most of the components will be found there during wintertime when 'pressure washers' arent being used.

Last edited by RichH; 11-19-2015 at 10:15 AM.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-19-2015
Banned

My book has plans and instructions for building a 540 gallon per day watermaker for under $1,000. Mine works fine; has for years .
post #9 of 25 Old 11-19-2015 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
My book has plans and instructions for building a 540 gallon per day watermaker for under $1,000. Mine works fine; has for years .
So be a man and post it instead of trying to shake me down.

post #10 of 25 Old 11-19-2015

Be a man and pony up for the man's work, instead of asking someone to do it all for you for free...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in