442Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 340 Old 12-14-2015
Banned

Re: Real Cruisers verse Internet Arguers

You know, it's stuff like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Agreed, but that isn't enough. You have to pay attention all the time. A shackle pin hitting the deck has awakened me below and the watch didn't hear anything. I don't know how you train yourself for that.
...and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Similarly the autopilot beeping that it has lost lock should not get me on deck before the watch notices.

...and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah2 View Post
Guys like Mark love being invited aboard boats like Outbound and I have. They love the tour and spend hours wanting to see more. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

...that just makes me discount EVERYTHING a person writes on a sailing forum...regardless of their CV. I HAVE to assume they are joking.

Good lord. Am I the only one who threw up in his mouth a little bit with these gems?
sharkbait and MarcStAug like this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 12-14-2015 at 04:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
sharkbait (12-15-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 340 Old 12-14-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markofsealife View Post
of course there is an element of luck involved but if the season is right, the boat ok etc etc, the likelihood is that is all gunna be fine.

But that's not what is promoted on the internet. Ratbags promote fear. They do their darndest to make people scared of their own boats and their own common sense abilities.
Its those wankers that i detest.
And you only find them on the internet.

If i do die at sea it will be unfortunate. I don't want to go that way. But doing things differently may not give a worthwhile life.
+ freakin' one.
post #203 of 340 Old 12-14-2015
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
The only reason I leave the cockpit is to change/strike the jib or toss the hook out.
There is nowhere to put your beer on the foredeck. Safety first, please.
Fully gimballed stainless steel cupholders welded to the back of the dorades tastefully done could fix that. And perhaps the beer hat with dual drinking tubes... that would leave one hand for you and one for the boat.
smackdaddy likes this.

post #204 of 340 Old 12-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The realities of long distance cruising compared to short hops, weekendsailing and pontificators for old style boats are ... [snip]
If I do die at sea it will be unfortunate. I don't want to go that way. But doing things differently may not give a worthwhile life.

Mark
If we are ever in the same place, I will be buying you a beer.
smackdaddy likes this.
post #205 of 340 Old 12-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You know, it's stuff like this...

...and this...

...and this...

...that just makes me discount EVERYTHING a person writes on a sailing forum...regardless of their CV. I HAVE to assume they are joking.

Good lord. Am I the only one who threw up in his mouth a little bit with these gems?
Oh Smack, you are the life of an internet poster! And why doesn't anyone spend hours aboard your Hunter checking it out? I know you don't want a Boreal or an outbound. And have you ever been to sea in YOUR BOAT and while in your berth not heard everything that goes on above decks. Sleeping on board at marinas don't count.

Cheers
post #206 of 340 Old 12-15-2015

Smack
You already have an offer to be live lumber to passagemake in the Atlantic. Keep it up and maybe Hannah will offer you the same for the pacific.

Don't you finally understand most sailors ultimately don't care what boat your on or where you go. They just care you sail.

They will constantly search for a better way to do things. Be forever interested in any sailboat. Pick other sailors brains for local knowledge. Any boat in any waters is a good boat as long as it keeps the water out but it is instructive to critique boats not people. Can we talk about boats again. I'm actually starting to miss Paulo. At least it was about boats some of the time.

BTW- Jons diatribe about ground tackle set ups has nothing to do about blue water. You don't anchor in the middle of the ocean. His discussions about cockpit and deck ergonomics also is not just a blue water issue. Mark is obviously a very competent sailor. He has figured out his boat and goes sailing. Both he and his boat are to be admired. Bleemus and Hannah2 know a thing or two. Hard earned knowledge. Worth analyzing what they say. Maine has a depth of technical wisdom. The list goes on with many other posters. They seem past proving their bones. No longer have interest in that activity. If you and Don think otherwise believe you're mistaken.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #207 of 340 Old 12-15-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Smack
You already have an offer to be live lumber to passagemake in the Atlantic. Keep it up and maybe Hannah will offer you the same for the pacific.

Don't you finally understand most sailors ultimately don't care what boat your on or where you go. They just care you sail.

They will constantly search for a better way to do things. Be forever interested in any sailboat. Pick other sailors brains for local knowledge. Any boat in any waters is a good boat as long as it keeps the water out but it is instructive to critique boats not people. Can we talk about boats again. I'm actually starting to miss Paulo. At least it was about boats some of the time.

BTW- Jons diatribe about ground tackle set ups has nothing to do about blue water. You don't anchor in the middle of the ocean. His discussions about cockpit and deck ergonomics also is not just a blue water issue. Mark is obviously a very competent sailor. He has figured out his boat and goes sailing. Both he and his boat are to be admired. Bleemus and Hannah2 know a thing or two. Hard earned knowledge. Worth analyzing what they say. Maine has a depth of technical wisdom. The list goes on with many other posters. They seem past proving their bones. No longer have interest in that activity. If you and Don think otherwise believe you're mistaken.
I ALWAYS analyze what virtually ANY and EVERY poster I'm conversing with says. And sometimes I think what they say is right. And sometimes I think what they say is ridiculous. And sometimes both can come from the same poster.

So what exactly are you trying to say? That I should simply give carte blanche to these guys in every area just because they know a thing or two or have hard-earned knowledge or technical wisdom or whatever? No.

I'm usually very picky about what I disagree with. But if I disagree with it, and can provide evidence for why, I don't care who you are, I'll disagree and tell you straight up why.

The quotes I posted above are ridiculous. Even I wouldn't say stuff like that.

As for the live lumber, I've got my own boat - thanks.
post #208 of 340 Old 12-15-2015
Picnic Sailor

Gwyneth would sail a Hunter for sure.

Are we still arguing about arguing?
smackdaddy likes this.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #209 of 340 Old 12-15-2015 Thread Starter
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post

Are we still arguing about arguing?
I agree with that ............... wait ................what ?????
chall03 likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #210 of 340 Old 12-15-2015

I sat on a jury once and we deliberated all bloody day long. Locked 11 to 1 in favor of guilty. The one holdout juror put us through every single nuance of the trial, even asked for testimony to be read back. Which, btw, is not done like you see in the movies. If you want it read back, you have to hear it all, not just the one sentence. We were recovering the same ground, no one was getting anywhere.

Finally, I say to the juror sitting next to me, let's just stop replying to the holdout juror. Sure enough, that juror repeats one of their questions or re-states one of their opinions and everyone just stares and does not engage. Room is silent for a few exaggerated minutes. The holdout tries to provoke their point one more time, with no reply. Again, these are the same points, the same questions. After another few minutes, they finally volunteer that they supported the guilty verdict. It was all about attention.

Stop responding to the troll and you'll see it here too. If an epic thread goes dormant for a day or two, a nugget is thrown out to re-ignite it. Once you reply, they have all they want.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in