25-27 foot sailboat to sail Bahamas, possibly Cuba - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 12-14-2015

Location: Splitting time between Merritt Island, Fl and Asheville, NC for a bit

Dock
Re: 25-27 foot sailboat to sail Bahamas, possibly Cuba

CDY - I think any of the boats you listed would be capable of taking you through the Bahamas, depending on their condition, your sailing ability, and the luck you have with weather and gear failures. Look for a boat that has been sailed and well maintained, not a project!

Here's a couple of examples ( I have no connection to the boats, just did a quick YW search):

1978 Canadian Sailcraft 27 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1977 Hunter 27 CHERUBINI Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1987 O'Day 272 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Andy
Hard Aground
S/V Everlasting Moon
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 12-15-2015
Shanachie, Bristol 30

I'd look at a well-kept Bristol 27 or 30, with an inboard diesel, which usually can be had for a couple thousand more than your current price range.

Sailing through the islands on a 5,000-pound, outboard-powered sailboat can be done, but it would be a wild ride in the winter "Christmas winds" and the 6- to 8-foot seas that accompany them in many places.

You would also find crossing the Gulfstream challenging, although possible, with slow progress and the prop coming out of the water with each wave.

The big issue is not the initial cost, but what shape the boat is in and how well-equipped it is.

You might feel good "saving" a couple of grand with a $4,000 purchase price, but that glow will disappear when you spend thousands on an autopilot, new rigging, acceptable sails, needed repairs, etc. Very few of these bargain boats are in any condition for a trip.

I've owned a C&C 25 and a Bristol 30 in recent years and sailed them around South and western Florida. I could get beaten up pretty well on the 25 when conditions worsened. The Bristol, hardly at all. There's a big difference in the designs.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-17-2015
Captain John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

I herd Bahamas are shallow waters to poke around in i would get a catamaran! Since it is just you sailing, that is what i would do.

post #14 of 19 Old 12-18-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
I herd Bahamas are shallow waters to poke around in i would get a catamaran! Since it is just you sailing, that is what i would do.
Any suggestions for catamarans in the OPs price range, 3 to 8k. ?
post #15 of 19 Old 12-18-2015
Boat Bum

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-02-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 12-19-2015
Not Finished Yet

I second the idea of a C&C 27. They are sweet sailing boats.

For sure I would take a Catalina 27 over a 25. Much more practical size and systems for living on. As you say, Catalina is nice because it is really easy to get parts. Just check the bulkheads carefully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 19 Old 12-22-2015

Sorry for asking question off topic but I am curious about the interior space on the Cat 27 vs Ericson 27 vs Oday272. Particularly the aft quarter berths, V-berths and standing headroom.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-22-2015
Not Finished Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
Sorry for asking question off topic but I am curious about the interior space on the Cat 27 vs Ericson 27 vs Oday272. Particularly the aft quarter berths, V-berths and standing headroom.
Never been on an Oday272, but everyone I know that lives on a Catalina or Ericson 27 uses the starboard settee as the berth. That is plenty roomy for any adult.

I had two adults sleep on the V-berth on my Catalina 27, but I don't think you would want to do that often. Plenty roomy for 2 teens or really small adults.

post #19 of 19 Old 12-22-2015

I looked at a couple of Oday 272's a couple years ago. They were nice, and were sailing on a big lake. They were maybe a bit light for the ocean according to the owner of one not for sale. They had stubby wing keels which I kind of like.

I liked a lot less the main sheet traveler arrangement which I recall as being very far forward on the cabin top. Looked like poor leverage and perhaps difficult to have a dodger.

I don't recall quarter berths. Sink/galley to starboard and can't remember the port side. Maybe there. The saloon was roomy with good headroom.

The bulkheads seemed to be fitted to fiberglass flanges and bolted to them, looked relatively easy to change one out if rotted.

I didn't get one so I don't know if I have all the details correct.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in