I Hate Birds - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-14-2015 Thread Starter

I Hate Birds

So my boat has been on the hard since October. I knew the birds were going to make a mess so I asked for the yard to shrink wrap the boat. I went down there Saturday and the boat was a mess. The yard tells me the boat should be covered this week. I wanted to clean the boat before covering but the water has been shut off. The best I could do was carry 5 gallons in jugs.

Better than nothing but I sure hope the boat gets covered and I will be very busy cleaning in the spring.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
bird2-s.jpg   bird3-s.jpg  

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-14-2015

Re: I Hate Birds

I was about to say BTDT, until I saw your pics. That's brutal. Maybe you should just tarp the decks, until they get the shrink wrap on. Or buy a Fairclough cover and install it yourself, asap, after you're hauled. They're better for your boat and economical over time too.

This year, I did get the chance to wash down my decks, when on the hard and before they covered her. I came back, after she was covered, to do some projects and the deck looked like a disaster. Not only were there some bird dropping (nothing like yours), the guys that installed my cover just dirty the heck out of the decks. Almost not worth bothering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-14-2015

Dang. Looks like you are parked in a very shi.tty spot.
RooDog likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

Holy Crap!
That's a lot of bird poo in that amount of time.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2015

From your pictures I see the boat next to you took a lot of crap as well. You may want to talk with other owners about how the yard might deter your feathered friends.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2015

I have not shrink wrapped my boat in years partly for this reason and the other is it tends to get get mildew in the cabin over the winter. Though it was somewhat of a tactical mistake with the brutal winter last year. I do get bird droppings on the deck but the winter rains wash them away by spring which means less cleaning and no mildew inside.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2015

I found something that really works well to keep the birds off the boat. It's an osprey wind sock that I attached to the flag line. I had dozens of bird droppings on the boat every week that stained everything they touched. The only thing that successfully removed those stains was LA Totally Awesome Cleaner, which I found at Dollar General for $1 a bottle. That stuff is fantastic. I purchased the osprey wind sock from http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Assembled-Bird-Kite-Wind/dp/B00KX932EY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450151967&sr=8-1&keywords=osprey+wind+sock
good luck,

Gary
post #8 of 13 Old 12-15-2015

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Damn Barry that looks like a Hitchcock scene.
We put streamers up and pinwheels up when we can.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #9 of 13 Old 12-15-2015
Beyond The Pale

Birds... how to cook them, and for how long...

¬Erindipity
post #10 of 13 Old 12-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Or buy a Fairclough cover and install it yourself, asap, after you're hauled. They're better for your boat and economical over time too.
I washed the deck after haul-out and waxed the topsides before putting on my 2-yr old Fairclough cover on myself. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth all the trouble and expense and then I see the OP's photos.

I prefer a canvas cover for its breathability. My previous canvas cover was Sunbrella and it eventually lost its waterproofing and I gave up trying the remedy that and replaced it after 18 years. Nonetheless, I have never had a mildew problem. My other boat has a cover using the Sunforger treated canvas that Fairclough uses and it has lasted 20 years, although it is getting a bit tired.

These covers are certainly cost-effective--compared to having the yard shrink-wrap every year--over the long haul, especially if you install them yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1180.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in