Would you give up sailing? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 Old 12-19-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Would you give up sailing?

Schnoo-

Lapworth is not a newb trolling a product. He's been here for quite sometime, he just posts infrequently. I've met and sailed with him personally.

BTW- I initially transitioned from power to sail boating because of green issues. It was only afterwards that I fell in love with the process of learning and honing the actual skill of sailing. Racing was a surprising and totally unintended consequence.

I suspect Lapworth and I share several views about the environmental aspects.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 12-19-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Schnoo-

I've met and sailed with him personally.
You are a very good racer, You probable noticed I wasn't that into racing. Well at least I tried. Thanks for teaching me the racing side of sailing.
post #33 of 41 Old 12-19-2015
Wind and pie move my boat.

The day I win the lottery I will only be sailing in the summer & the rest of the year you'll find me on a Nordhaven 35' trawler.
bird song likes this.

post #34 of 41 Old 12-19-2015

No, At this point it's not a choice.
post #35 of 41 Old 12-19-2015
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
Yes it is, Andy. It's Joel Whites larger version, 9'6". It's nearly as old as my daughter - now in her mid twenties - , who is sailing with our dog in these photos.

She's been sailing it since she was 7 or 8. She will always love sailing(the dog too, he started as a puppy). Thank you!

Tom,

Thanks for sharing these pictures. They tell a great story, and are two of the best pictures of the joy of sailing that I have seen.

Everyone else - if you think about it, sailing *is* a form of solar power...
TomMaine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 41 Old 12-19-2015

I think electric propulsion - however the energy is created - for a sailboat makes a ton of sense - but it depends on the usage. At the present state of technology/affordability/practicality, it wouldn't work for us. Transiting rapids on nature's 'schedule', long stretches of windless channels esp in summer and possibly limited sunshine (if solar) would make it very difficult if not impossible to keep up with loads. Losing propulsion at a critical juncture could be very unpleasant.

If primarily daysailing or sailing with no schedule/time limitations I'd be all over it as a practical improvement/safety factor over going totally engineless.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #37 of 41 Old 12-19-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapworth View Post
You are a very good racer, You probable noticed I wasn't that into racing. Well at least I tried. Thanks for teaching me the racing side of sailing.
Well, you're half right. I'm not good, but I am "into it".

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #38 of 41 Old 12-20-2015
Senior Citizen

I've been thinking about the prospect for a few years. An old friend quit sailing, bought a stink pot in order to get on the water with less effort then went back to sailing for the serenity.

I wouldn't quit sailing for a stink pot, but I would for 160 acres with forty acres of Angus beef. I honestly enjoyed cultivating my corn as much as I did sailing when I was on the hog farm.
-CH
post #39 of 41 Old 12-20-2015
Daniel - Norsea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Would I give up sailing? Yep, three days after I'm dead.

Good luck,

Gary
I'm with Gary on this one.

I love sailing and wouldn't give it up for anything. Even the work I'm doing for my refit is more relaxing than anything else I've got going for me right now. If I could, I'd live on my boat full time.

Daniel
1981 Nor'sea 27,

Quote:
“Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.”
-Paul Carvel
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhapsody-NS27 For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (12-21-2015)
post #40 of 41 Old 12-22-2015
Seattle Sailor

For a few, sailing is a mode of transportation, and those might make the change to electric solar boat....

For others, sailing is a recreational and competitive sport....

For others, sailing is a lifestyle.....

Sailing is so many different things to so many different people....

For me it's a cherished hobby, and I will give it up when I'm physically unable to set foot on a sailboat. I haven't quit making wooden boats even though plastic/carbon/glass is probably much cheaper and easier. I haven't quit riding my bike even though mileage on my electric hybrid car is pretty darn good.

I guess I wouldn't quit sailing because sailing is in my blood and soul (though all those times when something breaks down and repair need to be done I often wonder why...).

Probably never will understand those former crew and friends who have walked away without looking back, but that's not me.

PDean
CS 34
Seattle, WA
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in