4Likes
  • 1 Post By miatapaul
  • 1 Post By Kyhillbilly
  • 1 Post By sharkbait
  • 1 Post By JimsCAL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter

Interior Space Cat27vs Ericson27 vs Oday 272

I would like to hear from those who have been on at least two or all three boats how they stack up against each other. Particularly the room in the quarter berths, V-berths and standing headroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-22-2015
Catboat Kid

Re: Interior Space Cat27vs Ericson27 vs Oday 272

I know you didn't mention it here, but if you're considering a something in the 27' range take a look at the Pearson 27-2. I own a 1987 and the interior room is impressive. Full standing headroom (6'), an enclosed aft stateroom with large berth, good size head, and very long (7') convertible double berth in the salon.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-22-2015

The look an feel of the Ericson shows the better initial build quality . . . More of the "Oldsmobile" where as the others are more "Chevrolet" I am biased as I have an Ericson 27 . . .but it feels more like a real boat as the others seem more like floating RV. Sorry you other guys . . .

post #4 of 9 Old 12-22-2015
Old enough to know better

I almost bought an Ericson, well actually did but the seller sold to someone else for an extra $200. I really liked it, and for a 27 foot boat thought it had lots of room. I would think it is better made than either the Catalina or the O'Day. I think the idea of the Pearson 27-2 is worth a look I really like the look of the layout on that boat, but likely at least twice or three times the price of the Ericson or others. By the way the Ericson 27 I tried to by was $2,000 with a low hour diesel and wheel steering (I was going to convert her back to tiller) and in good overall shape, but not perfect.
Kyhillbilly likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 9 Old 12-22-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
I know you didn't mention it here, but if you're considering a something in the 27' range take a look at the Pearson 27-2. I own a 1987 and the interior room is impressive. Full standing headroom (6'), an enclosed aft stateroom with large berth, good size head, and very long (7') convertible double berth in the salon.
I have noticed the Pearson before "and it is a very sweet layout" but due to trailering I have set my max beam at 9'. I realize that is 6" over legal limit but feel I will be ok with that.

I had been set on the Cat27 for a while but the Oday 272 is about 1500lbs lighter and draws about 1' less. I love the what seems to be bigger aft berth but I just do not like the rest of the interior set up or look. Also it is the lighter built of the three.

The Ericson 27 calls to me. I really like that design. Based on what I have read the e27 seems to be a better built boat. I like that.
deltaten likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-23-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
I have noticed the Pearson before "and it is a very sweet layout" but due to trailering I have set my max beam at 9'. I realize that is 6" over legal limit but feel I will be ok with that.

I had been set on the Cat27 for a while but the Oday 272 is about 1500lbs lighter and draws about 1' less. I love the what seems to be bigger aft berth but I just do not like the rest of the interior set up or look. Also it is the lighter built of the three.

The Ericson 27 calls to me. I really like that design. Based on what I have read the e27 seems to be a better built boat. I like that.
You will need a pretty good rig to tow the Ericson. Don't think they come with a swing keel so you would likely need a crane or travel lift to launch and retrieve. I have heard some of the S2s in that size range are trailerable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #7 of 9 Old 12-23-2015
Boat Bum

Kyhillbilly likes this.

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Last edited by sharkbait; 02-01-2016 at 08:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Kyhillbilly (01-04-2016)
post #8 of 9 Old 12-23-2015

I lived aboard a C-27 for 10 days, which was 8 days too long. Good sailing boat, easy access to the Vee berth, fair amount of interior room, but as a live-a-board, it's just too small, as are the other choices. That's why I upgraded to my Morgan 33 Out Island.

Gary
post #9 of 9 Old 12-24-2015

The ODay 272 is probably the best choice of the three if you are going to trailer. A friend owned one a number of years ago and it was a pretty decent boat. Lots of space for the length and it sailed pretty well. He did decently in low level club racing. It's a newer design than the other two and Ray Hunt & Associates designs good boats (though I am biased). The looks are certainly not traditional, but that's something you either like or not.
Kyhillbilly likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in