Loner or belonger - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 107 Old 12-30-2015

Re: Loner or belonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Rich was polite and reasonable. I will be clear.

The belief that everyone should feel the same you that you do is bigotry.
I'm not sure who Rich is, and I am pretty sure that I was just called a bigot for my personal assessment of Yacht Clubs in the modern day. Interesting.

Anyway, I don't care if people feel the same as me. I'm only sharing my own observations based on my peer group of late 20s and 30-somethings. And, yes, I have visited many different clubs, raced from clubs, had bbqs at clubs, helped friends launch at clubs. I've never been a member, and don't care to be, but I have nothing against the many good, decent folks who are members at clubs. However, you are wearing blinders if you fail to see that "Yacht Clubs" are viewed in a negative light by a whole lot of younger people these days -- maybe entirely without merit, but it is what it is.

Heck, you don't have to look too far to find satirical references to the uppity elitist Yacht Club member.

Right or wrong, is not really the point. It's the image of the Yacht Club that needs to change in order to attract the next generation.

Take a look at various Yacht Club websites from all over the country, and you'll see that many are stuck in a past that appeals to today's younger generation about as much as Bushwood Country Club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 Old 12-30-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

For you folks who deal with customer service, or deal with people all day, I totally understand your desire for "alone time".
XSrcing likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #63 of 107 Old 12-30-2015
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
For clubs to stay relevant they need to drop the funny hats, the ridiculous costumes, the silly titles, and the word yacht from their name. For many people, the term yacht club conjures up images of an exclusive, pompous, annoying (and even sexist and racist) elite class of people. Most 20- and 30-somethings these days are about as opposite as you can get from the traditional yacht club member.

I have non-sailing friends who would laugh their a$$ off if I said Hey wanna come check out my Yacht Club? But, when I say, wanna come by my marina, go for a sail, have a few beers.... I always have takers.
Guess you didn't read my post earlier in this thread..... couldn't be farther from the truth...

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 107 Old 12-30-2015

20 somethings and 30 somethings didn't join yacht clubs, when I was that age either. That doesn't mean that the current batch won't, as they too get more settled financially. I'm not buying that this entire generation thinks of them as uppity, any more than hippies may have in the 60s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #65 of 107 Old 12-30-2015

I really like sailing with others, but I also enjoy being by myself a lot.

Because of this, I stick to being single, with occasional sailing trips with good friends.

I'd like to join a local yacht club but the dues are out of my price range, esp as I just hit the 'over 30' bracket

Liveaboard on a 1980 36' Hunter

post #66 of 107 Old 12-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I really like sailing with others, but I also enjoy being by myself a lot.

Because of this, I stick to being single, with occasional sailing trips with good friends.

I'd like to join a local yacht club but the dues are out of my price range, esp as I just hit the 'over 30' bracket
I never joined any when I was young and now I'm not young they all want a lot more to join because Im older. Why do they charge so much more if you are over 40. obviously they don't want me to join
Lockjaw likes this.
post #67 of 107 Old 12-30-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

That's a new one on me. My club has a demarcation of 18 years old, but not 30 or 40.

If these clubs are struggling with membership, they really need to revisit those policies.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #68 of 107 Old 12-30-2015

The financial reality of club membership, compared to past generations, is an issue.

The cost of autos and housing has far outpaced wages. That's not entirely due to inflation, it's because houses are bigger, with central air, and cars are fancier, with electric everything and leather seats. Combine that with smartphone plans, cable TV bills and XM radio subscriptions, that past generations didn't pay at all, and these next generations will take longer to find they have excess disposable income. Worse, if they put their kids through college.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #69 of 107 Old 12-30-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
The financial reality of club membership, compared to past generations, is an issue.

The cost of autos and housing has far outpaced wages. That's not entirely due to inflation, it's because houses are bigger, with central air, and cars are fancier, with electric everything and leather seats. Combine that with smartphone plans, cable TV bills and XM radio subscriptions, that past generations didn't pay at all, and these next generations will take longer to find they have excess disposable income. Worse, if they put their kids through college.
All true, but assuming we're discussing why people with boats don't join yacht clubs as much anymore, I can't see that cost is the issue. At least around here (Conn.), yacht clubs are way less expensive than marinas. However, they often require the members to pitch in and work (launching/hauling boats, landscaping, etc.); and they seem to have a somewhat "mandatory" social aspect to them too (participation in monthly dinners, the yearly cruise). Seems to me that the time commitment may be standing in the way as much as anything.
post #70 of 107 Old 12-30-2015

Time is a good point too. However, I don't see everyone that owns a boat as having unlimited resources. Club membership is still an optional expenditure and you need the surplus for it.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in