Heat Sheild for Heat Exchanger - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2015 Thread Starter

Heat Sheild for Heat Exchanger

Hi All,

I'm curious if someone has had this problem and found a good solution:

In breif:
Heat exchanger makes contact with the elbow for the exhaust riser (which is covered in a woven heat shield) and also touches a rubber hose. Both of those items show signs of melt (very very slight) from the heat of the heat exchanger. Is it wise to buy a thermo-heat-blanket and wrap the riser pipe as well as the rubber hose to protect them from the heat exchanger, or to wrap the heat exchanger instead in order to protect everything around it?

In Detail:
I have a 1985 Catalina 30, it has the Universal M25. For people unfamiliar, it is the largest engine they could fit in the compartment under the galley/dinette area. Adding the new-and-improved larger heat exchanger took up even more room and brought things a little too close together.

A little while ago I threw out the old heat exchanger (30 years old) and replaced it with the 'upgraded' better heat exchanger which is also about a 1.5" larger in circumference. Sort of muscled in the brackets and the hoses to get it all to fit and it's been working great. The only problem is that it is squeezed in, and was making contact with the exhaust riser pipe (the elbow bend coming out of the manifold) that pipe is wrapped in the fiberglass woven heat shield and herein lies the problem. The heat exchanger has caused the cloth-woven exhaust-riser pipe shield to melt a little bit (looks like a cloth spider web between the two pieces now). Realizing this, I also noticed that a rubber hose which also touches the heat exchanger on another side shows a little bit of melt on it as well.

I'm thinking about buying something like http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-13575-Adhesive-Backed-Barrier/dp/B00029KC2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450910774&sr=8-1&keywords=exhaust+heat+shield+blanket but cannot decide whether wrapping the heat exchanger is better, or just individually wrapping the exhaust riser pipe and soon-to-be-replaced rubber hose with the shield is better. Maybe if I wrap the riser pipe and rubber hose with the shield-blanket inside-out?! That way I can still have easy access to the heat exhanger while protecting the separate pieces.

Photos of the install can be found here at the bottom of the page: Philip Skinner

Any other suggestions are welcome, too. Except for moving the heat exchanger. I don't think it would fit anywhere else.

Thanks & Happy Holidays

1985 Catalina 30 Std Rig "A Cenoura"
itsACenoura.tumblr.com

Last edited by Philzy3985; 12-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-23-2015

Re: Heat Sheild for Heat Exchanger

Melt or abrasion?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-23-2015 Thread Starter

Re: Heat Sheild for Heat Exchanger

The heat shield around the exhuast pipe if definitely melt - The rubber hose could be abrasion as it rests on top of the new heat exchanger now. I may just buy extra length and tuck this hose back with a harness to get it away.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in